Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Coops »

WestHamIFC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:30 pm Until 1965, the border between Essex and Middlesex was the River Lea. The London Stadium is just inside the Essex side.
Before then pretty much every part of today’s London belonged to a county, with the exception of the City of London and City of Westminster.

The likes of Dagenham, Ilford, Romford, etc have also been London since 1965, but the Post Office caused mass confusion by failing to give them London Postcodes!
Cheers for the info.
I read about Hills pushing to get areas changed to being considered London in a small book about the history of Thames Ironworks. I'm not sure what happened to the book (probably up in the loft), but I believe the Ironworks site was at the mouth of River Lea at Bow Creek. Maybe the area was Poplar or maybe he was just unsuccessful.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

southendmadhammer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:13 pm For the avoidance of doubt, the club don't care who fills the bowl - as long as they are paying for a ticket, it could be Millwall fans as far as they are concerned.
West Ham Utd sell the tickets and pocket the money.
West Ham pay E20 (LLDC or whoever the hell it is) rent which include stewards etc
E20 (stewards) have to deal with the problem of an away fan in the home end.

Bit of a vicious circle.

As a business, I can see how GSB love this deal. :thdn:
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

If the club were serious about it then the message they have punted out via Claret & Hugh should be on the official website.

As usual they are swerving accountability. The club signed the deal, the club have a duty of care towards their customers as any business does and the London Stadium operators have a similar duty of care.

They can't pick and choose what terms they want to enforce. Try taking in water in a single use bottle with cap on, WHOAH! No way sunshine. Have an away fan sat in home areas and it's the sound the crickets.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Coops wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 pm Cheers for the info.
I read about Hills pushing to get areas changed to being considered London in a small book about the history of Thames Ironworks. I'm not sure what happened to the book (probably up in the loft), but I believe the Ironworks site was at the mouth of River Lea at Bow Creek. Maybe the area was Poplar or maybe he was just unsuccessful.
It may well be documented in that book that in 1894, the Old Castle Swifts FC famously became “the first professional football club in ESSEX” - a feat achieved while playing in... Hermit Road, Canning Town! :wink:
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

Have the FSA ever raised the issue of away fans in the home end, specifically talking about London Stadium?
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:09 am Excellent post Wembley, thanks :thup:

If I understand it correctly, the taxpayer would be better off handing us the keys, plus £200m and would still be better off than running the gaff for us for the next 96 years.

How has nobody gone to jail over this ?

Even if we ignore the original construction costs, write them off as the "huge, giant Olympic party" it will cost the taxpayer some £500m to have West Ham play in Stratford over the course of the lease ( stadium conversion costs plus onerous contract).

It's insane.
As much as I hate Sullivan I’ve never taken him for a mug, if I was being cynical as well as seeing how these leeches operate, this would have been part of the thinking.

Clearly at some point there will be a conversation with LLC about us taking it on at no cost to us?

Then it’s touchdown, a home run, an on drive smashed to the boundary.

We’ve only ever been a vehicle to personal financial gain at everyone else’s expense?

Oh and anyone know where the 40m sale of the Boleyn went?
Coops

Post by Coops »

WestHamIFC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:39 pm It may well be documented in that book that in 1894, the Old Castle Swifts FC famously became “the first professional football club in ESSEX” - a feat achieved while playing in... Hermit Road, Canning Town! :wink:
My Dad grew up in Canning Town and my Mum in West Ham, both considered themselves proud Londoners.
Coops

Post by Coops »

Ozza wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:17 pm
Oh and anyone know where the 40m sale of the Boleyn went?
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

It takes a great deal of money to dress and look as cheap as the Sullivan family.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

hammerddh wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 am Hypothetical question.
Won't happen (not in my lifetime anyway)

But if there was an option to walk away from the London Stadium and move to a new purpose built proper football stadium but it was based out in Essex, let's say Basildon for example would you be in favour ?
No don't be ridiculous
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Kialos wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 pm It takes a great deal of money to dress and look as cheap as the Sullivan family.
Indeed.
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

Sent the club a email about Liverpool there looking into it and will be revoking there tickets, might be seen as grassing but I’m sick of away supporters in our ground. I hate the stadium anyway this just tops it off I’ve had opposition supporters near me nearly every home game this year
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Snitches get stitches and end up in ditches like bitches
Kialos

Post by Kialos »

Grassing on Liverpool fans is not grassing, it is public duty, well done Reo Coker :thup:
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Mega Ron wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm Snitches get stitches and end up in ditches like bitches
:lol: That’s brilliant
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

hammerddh wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 am Hypothetical question.
Won't happen (not in my lifetime anyway)

But if there was an option to walk away from the London Stadium and move to a new purpose built proper football stadium but it was based out in Essex, let's say Basildon for example would you be in favour ?
Most definitely not, I'm a Londoner, WHU are a London team. I could not support a team based in Essex.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Pentonville wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:16 pm Most definitely not, I'm a Londoner, WHU are a London team. I could not support a team based in Essex.
Tbf, West Ham United WERE until 1965..
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Funnily enough i was looking at the area around the Brentwood Centre and was wondering if that would make a good spot for a new football stadium. Decent transport links - near a fair chunk of our support. Would still be a new stadium in an unfamiliar area but could be purpose built.
Coops

Post by Coops »

Georgee Paris wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:47 am Funnily enough i was looking at the area around the Brentwood Centre and was wondering if that would make a good spot for a new football stadium. Decent transport links - near a fair chunk of our support. Would still be a new stadium in an unfamiliar area but could be purpose built.
I think that's probably green belt
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Looking at the site Leyton Orient have a presence there and Brentwood Town FC. Right next to the A12. In would be a b*stard t get to for me as I’m in the other side of town but I’d say 60-70% of our fans would be okay - at least 50k of them anyway.