Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by irving boleyn »

With the three at the back hopefully a fixture,and Rice playing deep,Antonio in some kind of right wing back position should be a consideration.

Tried and failed in the past, but from what we know now of Antonio's strengths and weaknesses would be a good fit imo.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Sheffield Utd are a hard working energetic side who defend and attack as a team and as Manchester United have found , they don't give up and keep going to the end . On paper they look like a bunch of journeymen Championship footballers but Chris Wilder and his Scouts have brought together a Squad of players capable of competing and doing well in the Premier League .
To get all three points we'll have to be at the top of our game - Leicester City , Southampton , Liverpool and Newcastle have all beaten them at Bramall Lane so it's not unthinkable we can't , we look a better side already under David Moyes so let's hope the 100% record is still intact come Saturday morning .

I'd be happy with a draw -

Happier with a win -

Sheffield Utd 1 West Ham United 3
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 645 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

irving boleyn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:32 pm With the three at the back hopefully a fixture,and Rice playing deep,Antonio in some kind of right wing back position should be a consideration.

Tried and failed in the past, but from what we know now of Antonio's strengths and weaknesses would be a good fit imo.
To be fair, Antonio as a wing back has always been a decent option (in the right game). It's playing him as a right back in a 4 that's caused disaster.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

irving boleyn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:32 pm With the three at the back hopefully a fixture,and Rice playing deep,Antonio in some kind of right wing back position should be a consideration.

Massively agree. And it didn't fail, he just chucked his toys out. His most comparable teammate Moses ended up playing most games for Chelski in the same position the following season.

He will need to cover there, especially if Fred's done a hammy. And if he is going to complain about not getting forward enough, he need only look at Masuaku's contributions in the same position.

I'd like to see Yarmolenko as the backup striker. Same physical stats as Arnie. Let's see what he can do as Haller's backup.
Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

Lots of people raving about them this season yet we win up there and we are 4 points behind them despite the awful run we've had.

The one good thing is that you can be certain that Moyes will have a game plan - hopefully its to attack the game the same way we did Bournemouth as I think this is winnable. I think Sheffield will be favourites which does us a favour IMO.

Im going to suggest a nervy 2-1 win. Haller getting one with Anderson adding to last weeks goal with the winner
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Just feels great to feel optimistic going into a game again. I'd lost all faith under Pellegrini, but now i'm looking forward to our games again, regardless of who the opposition are. Going for a 0-1 to us courtesy of Haller :scarfer:
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

A difficult one to call. Seen a couple have mentioned the have lost their last two in the league, but those being against Man City and Liverpool away so very difficult to read anything into that. Prior to that a draw against Watford, which isn't terrible given their resurgence.

I think at this point I'd consider a point away on a Friday night a decent result.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

asters89 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:39 pm A difficult one to call. Seen a couple have mentioned the have lost their last two in the league, but those being against Man City and Liverpool away so very difficult to read anything into that. Prior to that a draw against Watford, which isn't terrible given their resurgence.

I think at this point I'd consider a point away on a Friday night a decent result.
:thup: Yep, be well happy with that. Those two away games, they lost both, only by 2-0.
When Pelboy was here, I was dreading this fixture a bit (one of many...) & thinking we'd be lucky to get a point up there.
Now Davey's here, I'm a little more hopeful of now getting some kind of result. Be a good test for him & us.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I get a strange & horrible feeling in my gut when we play a few sides, Sheff U being one, I hate losing these games.

Tough test for sure, Sheff U are the surprise package this season and although I feel their results 2nd half of the season will not be as good as the 1st they can play nice stuff, also mix it up. Well coached & drilled side, have to respect the job Chris Wilder has done as his players give everything to him.

I would obviously love a win, but would take a point as another positive step under Moyes.

Hard fought 1-1.
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

Tough test for us. Sheffield are a decent team so want to see Moyes set up to attack them and have a proper go - match their formation with 3 at the back and 2 wing backs - Antonio and Masuaku for me to put pressure on their wing backs... Haller and Anderson up front with Noble Rice Snodgrass to shore up the centre...

Might just nick it but would take an edgy draw....
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

West Ham away ,up north, Friday night

I wouldn't get your hopes up

....dictated by 60 years of experience
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

old fart wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:31 am West Ham away ,up north, Friday night

There is a thread there all by itself.

How many have there been on a Friday?

On the basis I can only recall Tranmere about 30 years ago then you are dead right.

Only other Friday game I can ever recall is that weird game at Chelsea in the Full Members Cup in the late 80s. You had to love Ken Bates. Chelsea could not win a thing, so he had a new trophy built in to the calendar that nobody cared about but Chelsea, so they could get to Wembley.

*sorry about my very poor effort at quoting etc

hammerofthedogs
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hammerofthedogs »

old fart wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:31 am West Ham away ,up north, Friday night

We did play Sheffield Wednesday on a Friday night and gained a 1-0 win the last game of the 80-81 season when we won the 2nd Division championship...

I remember playing Boro on a Friday night and we drew 1-1 and then going to Wembley on the Saturday to see Billericay play in the FA Vase Final against.... Sheffield.
This must have been 1976/77...
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Re 1977 - I remember that! I couldn't go to Boro (school!) and Dad was working, but went to Wembley on the Saturday to cheer on our PE teacher who played for Billericay (came on as sub). Managed to get out of school to go to the replay at the City Ground thanks to said teacher 👍

Completely off thread subject (apologies), from memory, Billericay played in some 5 aside tourno the day after the Wembley game and won it - and the prize was some new floodlights - under which we then played them in the inaugural floodlit match early the next season. John Radford even scored!!!! :scarfer:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Think I read somewhere earlier that they haven't been as good when playing another team with 3 at the back.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

had a quick butchers on one of their fan sites

appears the hatred is more us to them than the other way round...they apparently couldnt give a f*** about the carlos tevez thing at all?

never been to brammal lane, excited for this one...traditionally we go to places like this and get absolutely bent over...am hoping we have a bit more about us now, but nothing would surprise me tbh...

am going to be positive and say we are going to nick it 2-1
Graza

Post by Graza »

frankiemac wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:06 pm had a quick butchers on one of their fan sites

appears the hatred is more us to them than the other way round...they apparently couldnt give a **** about the carlos tevez thing at all?
That's because they got their bung. They feel vindicated that we were punished for wrongdoing despite being cleared over and over before one tosser made the wrong call.

It's easier to let it go with £40m in your back pocket.

For the game though Antonio is out, Fredrick's is out and that has implications for how we can play.

They have scored 23 and conceded 21 compared to our 25F 32A. Which suggests they aren't big scorers but are solid at the back. Do we need/want 5 at the back for this one? Probably not? Especially with the less mobile Zab in I would think we'll go back to a 4 to allow us to have that extra man pushing on to try and create.

Anderson off Haller has been starting to click and we have wide options that can swap with Anderson. I'd even be interested to see Haller with a rotating support of Anderson, Fornals and Lanzini buzzing about poping up in support and either side. Nobes and Rice sitting and linking front to back. If we start losing the midfield battle, or if we think we might then one of Lanzini or Fornals out for Snods.
Mikloskosglovebag
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Mikloskosglovebag »

Very important game this one. Looking forward to it immensely. In Moyes we trust :crest:
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

Antonio ruled out according to Moyes.
Another muscle injury?
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

A win here is vital. It would ease our relegation fears. Hopefully it would also mean we wont target expensive and/or injury prone past their best journeymen in the january window