Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by peter49uk »

To me its unfair for Pablo to be dropped, mind he luv's Arthur eh. That's going to be three at the boring back to me. What they say respect the point. Oh well COYI.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

thejackhammer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm Masuaku had to start because without him and with other injuries we'd be totally devoid of pace.

Ajeti and Yarmolenko? They might be off. No striker on the bench when Ajeti is fit can only mean one thing.
Yarmolenko was ruled out due to injury earlier in the week, so wouldn't read much into it.

Ajeti is less clear, he's hard to sell because he's played for 2 clubs already so only a few leagues where he is eligible. Though also some on twitter saying Ajeti has a virus and is too ill to play and that's why he wasn't selected
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

From BBC:
Rob Green
Former Chelsea and England goalkeeper on BBC Radio 5 Live
He didn't play a game!
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Team news announcements always seem to disappoint, it’s a though we’re suddenly going to throw out some fantasy formation or some miracle player from nowhere. It is what it is, let’s get behind the manager and team COYI
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

To complete our hat-trick of introductions to tonight’s substitutes drawn from the Academy of Football, it’s Bernardo Rosa.

Typically a creative midfielder who likes to get forward, 19-year-old Bernardo Costa da Rosa – better known as Bernardo Rosa – has also proven productive while displaying those traits as an diligent full-back.

The Brazilian started his youth career at Vasco da Gama in hometown Rio de Janeiro, inspired by the feats of his hero and compatriot Ronaldinho, before switching to CR Flamengo.

Initially a winger, Rosa’s excellent vision, accurate passing and focused play led to him switching to central midfield at 12-years-old, before subsequently joining the Academy of Football in his early teenage years.

Rosa impressed in Claret and Blue with his attacking output, making his U18s debut at the tail end of 2016 at just 16 years of age, before netting five times for the Academy side the following season.
Rosa began the 2018/19 season in spectacular fashion, netting a clinical hat-trick as a playmaker for the

U18s on the opening day of the campaign, and established himself as. Premier League 2 regular with eight appearances.

In 2019/20, the young Brazilian successfully added further strands to his game, making valuable contributions both as a playmaker and, more recently, an attack-minded full-back, his consistency earning him a Premier League 2 Player of the Month nomination for November.

Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I may , later, have to eat my words but I am pretty happy with line up. Trying something different and some kids on the bench. Very un- Pellegrini. Now's the time time to try stuff/players etc. Not April/May. Fornals will play an important part sometime in the match I am sure.
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by neathiron »

So glad Sky had the balls to show our defeat against this lot with Tevez playing. Whatever happened after that is irrelevant because it was in their hands. End of. Give us our money back you c****!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1313 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

neathiron wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 pm So glad Sky had the balls to show our defeat against this lot with Tevez playing. Whatever happened after that is irrelevant because it was in their hands. End of. Give us our money back you *****!
But they did also mention the “Tevez inspired” escape from the relegation zone. Media seem to forget how long he went without a goal.
OFT
Has liked: 3208 likes
Total likes: 1839 likes

Post by OFT »

HammerPDC wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 pm According to Carragher West Ham may even be a bigger club than Sheffield United

Yeh just maybe Jamie :?
One things for certain, there aren't many bigger ****$ than Jamie Carragher
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by neathiron »

OFT wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:47 pm One things for certain, there aren't many bigger ****$ than Jamie Carragher
Ooh I don't know, I'll raise you a Kevin Mccabe :wink:
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Arnie got most of the plaudits but Arthur was fantastic in this role in Moyes first spell. I expect more magic from him with the safety of Cresswell behind.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Brazilian Bernardo Rosa on the bench. Anyone know anything about him?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

HammerPDC wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 pm That’s a back 5

We are quite literally back to where we were 2 years ago

I’d be amazed if we score a goal tonight we’ve shown we are there to be bullied and this Sheffield United side is one of the most physical sides the premier league has seen in recent years
I don't think he has a choice. We are slow and generally ***** at defending. Got to put the extra man in there.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Vic_Watson wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 pm Brazilian Bernardo Rosa on the bench. Anyone know anything about him?
Look eight posts above yours :wink:
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1036 likes

Post by stu1 »

Graza wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:24 pm If we are 4-4-1-1 it seems standard to me.
I think we’ll be playing wing backs, I certainly don’t want to see a right hand side of Lanzini and Zabaleta. If Zabaleta is playing RB he needs a play like Snodgrass in front of him, not Lanzini.

I think we’ll play either 5-3-1-1 or 3-5-1-1 depending on how you look at it.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

stu1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:53 pm I think we’ll be playing wing backs, I certainly don’t want to see a right hand side of Lanzini and Zabaleta. If Zabaleta is playing RB he needs a play like Snodgrass in front of him, not Lanzini.

I think we’ll play either 5-3-1-1 or 3-5-1-1 depending on how you look at it.
Going three at the back would be a mistake. Their forward play does not merit such a defensive approach. Would prefer Cress at LB and Masuaku at left midfield. Can overlap with Anderson.
mcan
Has liked: 199 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by mcan »

alf git wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:28 pm Any half and half scarves available for this one?
:lol: :lol:
traxop

Post by traxop »

Looking at our bench tonight(it's looking thin due to illness sweeping the camp), I'm guessing Lanzini starts because we need Fornals to provide something from the bench if we need to chase. Lanzini is probably best utilised as a starter rather than an impact sub.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:48 pm I'm led to believe they'd have had a Man City like trajectory and squad to match if it weren't for that incident. So I think you'll find it has very much had an impact on this game thank you very much.
:lol: :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 3491 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Lively start. Played mostly in their half.