Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by DannyboyDJL »

MK-Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:11 pm Our shape is better but our deficiencies were exposed ....Our defence don’t look confident with the ball when we try and play out from the back ....Balbuena in particular....tends to play a long ball to Haller in hope ....also our midfield don’t help them with out balls
As pointed out constantly on Sky our midfield was slower than theirs ...even though we possessed the more talented players ....but without the ball they cannot present a danger to the opposition. And when Rice or Noble did have the ball Lanzini seemed to be invisible.
I get very frustrated with Lanzini & Masuaku....both passengers and don’t work hard enough for the team.
Anderson whilst frustrating that he’s not hitting the form of last season worked harder than both and presented a greater threat.

Going to be a tough January...hopefully Fabs not out for too long and Anderson’s injury not too bad.
This is the problem. You say our midfield was slower than theirs, even though they are more talented. I'm not having it. John Fleck is 10 times the player Noble is at this point of his career and frankly I'd take him any day of the week over Lanzini. Perfect example of when Martin gave the ball away, he had the energy to press, which neither Noble nor Lanzini could do and then he picked the correct pass, which Lanzini proved when Egan slipped that he can't do.

Most of that team tonight aren't good enough. At least half have been involved in 2 complete collapses of a team where we were hurtling for relegation.

Sheff Utd are a far better team than us and apart from 2 or 3 players, are better all over the park.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

50 / 50 game.

I really do not understand the people are saying "With Pelle (or this or that) would we have 4-0 lost.."

Whats the point with it?? A loss is a LOSS, and a bad situation is a bad situation, no matter if you try to make the best of it...

We need a manager somewhere in BETWEEN Pelles and Moyes, otherwise I do not understand this boring black & white bipolar discusion a lá 80s decade with the Russia-USA dychotomy... both sides have good and bad things, so whats the point in insisting on this confrontation??

Thats why I wanted a C plan, a third way of a manager like Sampaoli....

We need to stick with it... just like that...

alkali wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:38 pm Noble very poor, Anderson and Lanzini ineffectual. Why was Fornals not on from the start?
Dito.

Love it or hate it, but Pelle was right with getting Snodgrass every game in from the begining... and Fornals too...
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:22 pm 50 / 50 game.

I really do not understand the people are saying "With Pelle (or this or that) would we have 4-0 lost.."

Whats the point with it?? A loss is a LOSS, and a bad situation is a bad situation, no matter if you try to make the best of it...

We need a manager somewhere in BETWEEN Pelles and Moyes, otherwise I do not understand this boring black & white bipolar discusion a lá 80s decade with the Russia-USA dychotomy... both sides have good and bad things, so whats the point in insisting on this confrontation??

Thats why I wanted a C plan, a third way of a manager like Sampaoli....

We need to stick with it... just like that...

Dito.

Love it or hate it, but Pelle was right with getting Snodgrass every game in from the begining... and Fornals too...
Pellegrinis gone, he should never have been appointed in the first place, some people need to get their heads out of the clouds and realise the reality of our club or you will forever be disappointed. We have not been managed well from top to bottom in many years and we need to get into the real world. We are two points off the bottom three for a reason for which it would be difficult to blame the current manager
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm Haller winds me up. I really think he can’t be ****ed.
Lanzini gets the ball from that slip and Haller can’t be bothered to work to get into the correct position. Nice ball comes in and Haller doesn’t work hard enough to get into a position where he can get a good connection. He instead pretty much puts in into the ground with his face. Good balls put through to him and he jogs around. Look at Mousset. Any similar ball and he’s giving 100% to chase it or get into the right position.

If Haller is who we are relying on we are in massive trouble.
I seriously haven't seen him make a sprint all season. He just jogs around. You are right about the Lanzini chance, got his position all wrong.

Good finish for the offside though.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 341 likes
Total likes: 598 likes

Post by Croydon »

Rumour has it Balbuena is till punting balls up the field to no one in particular.
Diogenes
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 1198 likes

Post by Diogenes »

IMHO, I thought we were by far the better side and actually deserved 3 points rather than being robbed of at least 1. Even Wilder at the end said how fortunate they were. Both Haller and Anderson had good opportunities to score. Apart from Martins brain fart (and we have had too many of those) I really didn't think they would score. We will play a lot worse and win.
kev
Midfield enforcer
Location: In an old Bakehouse that never stops needing money!
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by kev »

smuts wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32 pm I seriously haven't seen him make a sprint all season. He just jogs around. You are right about the Lanzini chance, got his position all wrong.

Didn't see him sprint 60 yards past 4 of our players after picking up awful hoof, spraying wide and then chasing for end cross to go into row z then.
There seems to be lots that people don't see. I often watch off ball as much as on ball as it gives a more rounded view of players game.
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm Imagine if we go to the final game of the season needing a win to stay up and the goal is scored in the 94th minute just like today and is disallowed by Var.
Or indeed any team in 18th place on the final day of the season - I would fear for the officials. The sacking of Rome.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Upminster Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:03 pm Stop trying to put square pegs in round holes
All we are doing by hiring moyes is trying to put plasters over the leaks
That’s why no-one else got the job.
He knew the remit as you say above, and was happy/desperate to get employment.
I’m not knocking Moyes, can’t blame him for taking there money.
GSB running the club with minimum outlay, and will be delighted if we somehow achieve 17th place to keep there premier league gravy train afloat for another year.
keithwright1977

Don’t you just hate posts from people who don’t understand football at all, people that have probably never played the game so don’t appreciate the difference between losing 4-0 to losing 1-0, you don’t even have to have a degree in maths to work that one out
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

smuts wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32 pm I seriously haven't seen him make a sprint all season. He just jogs around. You are right about the Lanzini chance, got his position all wrong.

Lanzini made it a non chance.

keithwright1977

Don’t you just hate posts from people who don’t understand football at all, people that have probably never played the game so don’t appreciate the difference between losing 4-0 to losing 1-0, you don’t even have to have a degree in maths to work that one out
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

Rice was doing the work of 2 or 3 (rubbish Lanzini and Noble). Haller will score if you cross the ball to him in dangerous areas but our crossing (bar Snoddy) was abysmal. Masuaku has a few little dribbling tricks but that's about it I'm afraid - zilch crossing, zilch decision making. Zabs legs definitely gone and couldn't make any forward runs so we were actually playing with 8 men and a keeper who looked like a nervous wreck when he came on (even saying a few prayers because he was so highly strung).

I think we've now lost about 12 points from dodgy goalkeeping errors and 15 points from winning positions which to me suggests relegation is a very real probability.

We now need to buy a quality keeper because it looks like Fabs career might actually be over if his pelvic muscle can't recover from this tear.

Can't complain about VAR as the rules are clear and applies to everyone . I hope and suspect we will get a few in our favour before the end of this season (maybe it will keep us in the PL).
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

ageing hammer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm Imagine if we go to the final game of the season needing a win to stay up and the goal is scored in the 94th minute just like today and is disallowed by Var.

Or indeed any team in 18th place on the final day of the season - I would fear for the officials. The sacking of Rome would pale in insigniifcance
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by WTID »

Thought Rice was head an shoulders above everyone on the park tonight. Have we had any decision of VAR from an attacking point of view go in our favour this season? Ruined football for me.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 pmLanzini made it a non chance.

That one still image doesn't tell the whole story. By the time Lsnzini has the ball at his feet that Sheffield U defender is almost back and Haller is moving towards him!
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Quite a few people miss the point.

I don't think it should've been disallowed but some of our lot tonight was an outright disgrace. If I were Moyes id be pushing for some of our lot to have their contracts terminated.

Utter disgrace. Not bothering to win the second balls, not running about, not doing anything. I'd start the terminations with all of the midfield. C***s.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:26 pm This is the problem. You say our midfield was slower than theirs, even though they are more talented. I'm not having it. John Fleck is 10 times the player Noble is at this point of his career and frankly I'd take him any day of the week over Lanzini. Perfect example of when Martin gave the ball away, he had the energy to press, which neither Noble nor Lanzini could do and then he picked the correct pass, which Lanzini proved when Egan slipped that he can't do.

Most of that team tonight aren't good enough. At least half have been involved in 2 complete collapses of a team where we were hurtling for relegation.

Sheff Utd are a far better team than us and apart from 2 or 3 players, are better all over the park.
I'm in total agreement . When I heard Gary Neville saying we had better quality players, it made me chuckle a bit. The table doesn't lie!!!
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 pm Lanzini made it a non chance.

That's proper misleading. By the time Lanzini has the ball the CB is back and Haller is completely in the wrong area.
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by War Pony »

If we go down, lets sue them for 35million :)