Sheffield Utd 1-0 West Ham Utd (10/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Re: Sheffield United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by BondsoBob »

Unfortunately I think that was one of those pivotal games that we had to get something out of.
I really do think we are in real relegation trouble now.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I cannot think of one team stupid enough to spend a £25m budget on one player then sell off/release 6/7 first teamers to splash £45m on a lone striker!!
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Brown Sauce wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 am Don’t let VAR cloud the issue.

Awful performance from start to finish. Only chances created were two mistakes from them.
Midfield was constantly out run and out fought.

Two injuries and we’ve got a 34 year old trying to play wingback and a keeper who shouldn’t be anywhere near the first team.

Chickens coming home to roost.
Opinions eh. Not sure if we were watching the same game.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Sorry I can think of one!!
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Honeymoon is over, the same problems we have had all season were back.

Moyes has a transfer window which is something that might paper over the cracks.

I was bored silly
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 am Opinions eh. Not sure if we were watching the same game.
Which part of the performance was decent?
Chicken Run Supreme

Brown Sauce wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:01 am Which part of the performance was decent?
We were the better team in the first half, even their manager conceded that. We controlled much of that first half and denied them possession. Anderson should have scored when one on one with their keeper but alas he didn't. Could easily have been 1 up at half time. Second half Sheffield United played with more aggression and tempo but in the end only had a calamitous error, which was Balbuena and Martin both at fault, to show.

We weren't at our best, but we were far from awful.. We have a lot of work to do going forward still but we at least battled to the last minute.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

As much as Carragher seems to upset most folk, his analysis of our performance was bang on. First half especially. Nothing wrong going direct if you have options, however we had nothing. Too many times the ball was hit long in the vague hope of hitting one of our players.

Said it last night, can't blame Martin too much, if you are signing a back up keeper from Millwall, you have to allow for mistakes.

I saw someone say that the decision is the sort that can galvanise a team, to go on and become stronger. I have a horrid feeling it will go the complete opposite.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

My take on it...

We undoubtedly deserved a point against a well drilled, well performing team. Most would have taken that point before the game and I'm still in shock this morning that we didn't get it!

We had enough opportunities to score...Anderson, Haller, Lanzini all had chances they should have done better with. The disallowed goal... less said the better.

The goal we let in was unfortunate... nothing more I can say, **** happens and you know it's not your day when it does. We got to hope Fab won'g be out long... if so, we do need a first choice option. The mistake aside, Martin was solid... but you can't have those moments at this level.

Moyes' change of training clearly left a few a little shagged yesterday... Noble was anonymous, Zab hasn't got the legs for wing back. We now have time to sort that out... I'd imagine Antonio will be seen as a wing back and we desperately need that additional midfielder (had we had someone yesterday Noble would have been pulled off at half time).

I see the bench he put out yesterday as a message to the board... where was Ajeti, Reid, Sanchez... the fact he is going for kids instead is a clear message
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Poor from us last night. We didn't have a shot on target in the first half. We applied ourselves but looked headless at some points. Haller needs better service. I thought Sheff United were poor. Can't see them being top half come the end of the season.

I didn't want Moyes in but he's going to get his chance now. I read some comments after the Bournemouth game that he had 'outmanaged' MP already. What a joke that is! His job now is to keep us up. Let's see if he will do it.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

1. Isolated striker on his own up front
2. Zabba expected to play 90 mins up and down the wing
3. Snoddy on the bench when he should be starting
4. No recognised strikers on the bench

We were never gonna win - Moysey got it wrong
Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 am We were the better team in the first half, even their manager conceded that. We controlled much of that first half and denied them possession. Anderson should have scored when one on one with their keeper but alas he didn't. Could easily have been 1 up at half time. Second half Sheffield United played with more aggression and tempo but in the end only had a calamitous error, which was Balbuena and Martin both at fault, to show.

We weren't at our best, but we were far from awful.. We have a lot of work to do going forward still but we at least battled to the last minute.
Battling doesn’t win games if you can’t string passes together or only ever have 1 option when you look up.

Only chances we had were their silly mistakes. Let’s not pretend they are Barcelona, it’s a team we could & should be taking points off.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

They weren't good.

Up until we gifted them a goal, they weren't going to create one on their own.

After that their tails were up and we looked even more lost. But to me that was two poor teams last night.
Chicken Run Supreme

Brown Sauce wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:22 am Battling doesn’t win games if you can’t string passes together or only ever have 1 option when you look up.

Only chances we had were their silly mistakes. Let’s not pretend they are Barcelona, it’s a team we could & should be taking points off.
Barcelona they are most definitely not but they are 5th so must be doing something right. My point with your original post was that you said it was an awful performance from start to finish.
It wasn't. There was good, bad and awful moments but it certainly wasn't all awful.

Much work still to do and we need a good January transfer window and they're as rare as unicorns.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 am We were the better team in the first half, even their manager conceded that. We controlled much of that first half and denied them possession. Anderson should have scored when one on one with their keeper but alas he didn't. Could easily have been 1 up at half time. Second half Sheffield United played with more aggression and tempo but in the end only had a calamitous error, which was Balbuena and Martin both at fault, to show.

That is all well and good.
The fact is we didn't have a shot on target until the 7th minute and that was a free kick.
We only created two chances from open play all game.
Do you not agree Moyes settled for a point before a kick off?
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

It was 0-0 till the give away goal. f*** me I am so tired of going to these places and getting kicked off the park by a bunch of squaddie lookalikes. Oh for a Billy Bonds to put someone in the stands... or even a Mark Ward. Someone of the dark arts at least. Thought the foul on Anderson should have been a red. And the handball not a handball anywhere else on the pitch. Wouldn't have been a penalty so shouldn't be a free kick. Just the perfect kick in the nuts for a **** evening. I thought we weren't bad actually but it's not looking good.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Sheffield are only where they are because everyone else is so poor. They are last seasons wolves or the one before Watford Burnley or whatever. They are the surprise package. They are still Sheffield United and that means not very good at all. But they didn’t need to be very good at all to beat us. We were poor.
Brown Sauce

Post by Brown Sauce »

I can’t think of one moment in the game where I thought “that was good”.
We looked petrified when Martin came on, panicked every time we had the ball and no desire to get behind them or runners getting ahead of the ball.

We got exactly what we deserved. Nothing.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

another awful performance where a lot of players are clearly not up to it. strange team selection to start with. fornals been doing well so dropped for lanzini who has not ?
diop dropped ?

our squad is paper thin with our two best players out in fabianski and Antonio.
no legs in midfield other than rice.
Anderson tried but was kicked a bit and ref was useless
Balbuena looked poor and kept kicking it long to haller who was up against 3 of theirs.
haller isolated as usual
we didn't deserve anything and they were the better team
forget the VAR we were poor and are going down. anyone doubts this look at the next 11 games !
noble was the worst of the lot. I forgot he was playing or on the pitch !

we need a new keeper now as I doubt fab is coming back soon and martin is not good enough. etheridge from Cardiff in now please.
n
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 am Sheffield are only where they are because everyone else is so poor. They are last seasons wolves or the one before Watford Burnley or whatever. They are the surprise package. They are still Sheffield United and that means not very good at all. But they didn’t need to be very good at all to beat us. We were poor.
What an odd opinion. They are bad simply because of who they are? It'll be 'we should be beating teams like this' next.