The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Doc H Ball »

Giroud would have been the perfect player. Shame he's wasted his time at Chelsea.

Looks like he's off to Inter for 5m on a 3 year deal at age 33.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

My final comment on gedson fernandes: google Renato sanches, seems a similar situation. Fernandes will probably prove me wrong by ripping up the league for spuds, but it was always a punt.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:36 pm Older posters will remember when Cottee was on his own for half a season. We brought Dowie and Cottee was back to his prolific self. Completely agree that Haller is a teddy type.

As daft as it sounds we might already have a adequate partner for Halller. Hugill.

Dont get me wrong. Hugill is as crap as Dowie was....but when you are in a scrap he might be an asset against teams like Everton.
Can you imagine the majority reaction on here if it was announced we had decided against buying a new striker because we have recalled Hugill from his loan? I actually think we need a quicker, poacher style striker to play up with Heller, someone who can get in the box and take a chance. If Heller is not in the box too often no-one is.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

It’s obvious we need major surgery to this squad, but sadly I can’t see that happening in January. I think the best we can hope for is:

Randolph (£4m), but actually wiping out the money that Boro still owe.
Allen (£8-10m) - because we need more aging squad players on high wages
Free agent Striker - someone like Nicklas Bendtner, Diafra Sakho, or Emenike.

If Moyes doesn’t somehow keep us up with this star-studded cast of players, then it will of course be all on him and not the owners.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I see Hernandez is on his way to L A Galaxy after spending just 6 months at Sevilla. Being Mexican, he should feel right at home there

Former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez will meet with LA Galaxy to discuss a potential move to the MLS. The Mexico forward, 31, only joined current club Sevilla from West Ham in September. (Marca)
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

reports that we have offered 7m for etheridge of Cardiff. good news if true and they need him to arrive by tomorrow so he can train a bit.
allen arriving for 8m is ok but only if we still buy the young CM/DM type we need.

RB needed urgently as well. unless ben Johnson is fit for Saturday which I doubt.

CF should be a quick type to play up top with haller. how about trying this ajeti bloke we have sitting on the bench ?

sell yarmolenko asap 8-10m
recall Cullen and diagana why have we sent powell Coventry and Holland out on loan when the squad is so short. surely they would have made the bench on Friday night ? give them wheelchair,sanchez and yarmolenko`s place. cant be any worse can they ?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The problem is Moyes and you can't blame him will want proven Premier League players to for this "relegation battle" not potential players from abroad who could be good but out and out proven in the English game, It's sad but true, not a slight on Moyes.
Last edited by fmgod on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

if we sign fellani then I am done for this season ! hoof ball here we come !
b0x

Post by b0x »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 am reports that we have offered 7m for etheridge of Cardiff

recall Cullen and diagana
7m way too much for etheridge, they'll probably accept half that

cullen should definitely be recalled, been excellent this season.. ahead of harry arter for the national team as well.. just coming back from injury but in training now and probably good to go in a game or two

no point buying a good championship midfielder when we already have one on the books, should never have gone on loan...

noble and rice have zero competition atm.. cullen + sander would be perfect

diang theres no point, we are overstocked in that position... moyes isn't likely to play with a forward 3 and if he does we are still covered with antonio, yarmo, anderson, lanzini, snod, fornals and even masuaku
Last edited by b0x on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 am The problem is Moyes and you can't blame him will want proven Premier League players to for this "relegation battle" not potential players from abroad who could be good but out and out proven in the English game, It's sad but true, not a slight on Moyes.
It's a good point. Fornals is starting to look decent now, but it took him until Christmas to find his feet. Fernandes may well turn into a fantastic player, but if he's off the pace for Premier League games, and given that we still need 5 or 6 wins this year, is that really the sort of player that a manager looking to keep us in the division would be going for.

This is the problem, it's all well and good have a magic wishlist of the type of player you need, but you also need one who can slot straight in, and who most importantly, who's team is prepared to let them go. This is why doing business in January is pretty frought.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Fernandes was all about denial of the position we are in,imo.When questioned about our interest,Moyes admitted he was one for the future!
We cannot afford "overseas" gambles, we need players who know the league and are ready now!
Beggars can't be choosers and we are well and truly in the former camp,thanks to the complete and utter shambles of a club under the shyster,the senile and the "look at me and all my wonderful(fake) ideals" gossipy housewife!
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

diagana should be brought back now.

he plays wide right and we currently have Antonio who is injured and playing upfront with haller if he ever gets fit . yarmlenko who is lazy, doesn't run tackle or do anything now, currently injured ? I would sell yarmolenko for 8-10m as he is over 30 and declining fast.

Anderson is currently playing better from the middle and plays on the left side.

Snodgrass is too slow and cant last more than 60 mins. been playing central for his energy and commitment, not a winger anymore.

so apart from Antonio where is diagana`s competition from ? Holland is out on loan as well.

if anything we are short of a wide right player with pace !
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Diangana should be left at WBA for the rest of the season.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am Diangana should be left at WBA for the rest of the season.
Agreed :thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

In the Metro this morning is said that Fernandes had chosen Spurs due to the Jose Mourinho connection
I expect he is a big pull for a Portuguese player, especially when your agent is one of Jose's best mate!
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:42 am I see Hernandez is on his way to L A Galaxy after spending just 6 months at Sevilla. Being Mexican, he should feel right at home there

Former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez will meet with LA Galaxy to discuss a potential move to the MLS. The Mexico forward, 31, only joined current club Sevilla from West Ham in September. (Marca)
We should be all over that. We have brought back Moyes....looking at Randolph.......let's go for a full on U-Turn!!!

What's Arnie up to?? Has he thrown a strop and looking for another pay rise? Good be just what we need!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am Diangana should be left at WBA for the rest of the season.
If he's brought back it's another attempted short term fix, with no thought for the player's future development.
steps
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Consensus from what I‘ve read amongst Cardiff fans seems to be they’d take the money and reinvest inother areas of their squad.

Apparently they’ve got another two good keepers on their books so it could work out well for all involved.

Of course this is West Ham though we’ll probably pull the offer at the 11th hour and ask to take him on loan or something.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Personally I wouldn't sign anyone in this window. There's no point.

I would however listen to offers for

Yarmolenko
Diop
Reid
Zabaleta
Fredricks
Cresswell
Arthur
Lanzini
Snodgrass
Sanchez
Ajeti
Dirty Jack
And , if he wants to go, Antonio.

That kind of suggests the degree of a rebuild we will need over the summer.

Next season I would make it a policy of having 2 Academy players / graduates on the bench for every single game, so I would ensure we add Diangana, Coventry, Johnson,Cullen, Holland to the 1st team squad.