The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 pm The deal had no chance as soon as Jorge Mendes was involved
He was always going to make sure Fernandes ended up with Mourinho
I expect we were used from the beginning of the process merely to drum up a bit of publicity, and as a back-up plan if Spurs weren't interested
There's also a photo of him at WHL watching a Spurs game last season with his dad. Pretty hard to dispute we were just the patsy here.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Mega Ron wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:55 pm Adrian and Randolph were, and are, at very similar levels.
When Adrian had lost form and confidence Randolph was a decent backup.

Adrian was always a better shot stopper than goalkeeper and had a penchant for making suicidal runs off his lines that he often got lucky with.

Randolph was ok enough at everything to be a backup except high balls into the box as he hands are replaced by seal flippers whenever they get higher than shoulder level. I didn't see much of him last year when he was getting his rave reviews so perhaps he's fixed that part of his game, but when given the choice and both were fit and not wobbly from previous errors Adrian was head and shoulders the better man between the sticks. For me he can't be worse than Roberto (but I put myself in that category too) and he is likely an upgrade on Martin. The fee is negligible these days, the contract length raises an eyebrow though.

It was a signing (backup keeper not necessarily Randolph) that needed to be made as soon as it was obvious Roberto wasn't ever going to be viable. But it needs to be the start of our signings, not the end. We shall see on that front.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

next level?
any ambition?
I will support any player who pulls on a west ham shirt but penetrate me sideways with a broom handle!
getting randolph back shows we have no ambition, no money and absolute incompetent owners. I was a supporter of them and Brady, but enough is enough.

Wearing White till the end of the *****!
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Rozzop wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm 10 mil on Hugill
8 mil on Ajetti
45 mil on Haller and play him as a lone striker
35 mil on Anderson who wasnt exactly that well known
Giving long expensive contracts to Reid, Wilshere, Carroll, Noble, Zabaleta

I know Everton have rich owners so not a fair comparison but Lucas Digne didnt cost a packet. Twice the player Cresswell is. Mina roughly the same price as Diop. Sibide a loan. Again, twice the player Fredericks and Zabaleta are. Andre Gomez wasnt that expensive.

Ancelotti one of the most succesful coaches in all of world football.

Can you imagine them starting a game with Zabaleta, Cresswell, Balbuena and Noble in the first team?

Lets say Pickford gets injured so they sign a keeper from the championship who was dodgy last time.

Would they be linked to Joe Allen?

You can argue they arent many points above us this season. But you can guarentee they will be further away at the end of the season.

I use Everton as an example because I consider them to be similar sized and capable of finishing top ten. Not because of their previous manager from a decade ago.

I want the owners gone and to be replaced with competent ones.
If we spent big and failed we would probably moan. But we could say that at least they gave it a go and tried. There would be dissatisfaction but not vitriol. But their deception, manipulation and greed means they are indefensible.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm I’m not disputing the amount of games they played, but the way they were shared out is still how I said. Adrian started as first choice and ended the season as first choice. It’s not great that you come in for an under performing goalkeeper and then lose your place for being worse.
An irrelevant argument then... they shared the number 1 jersey across the season and were just as good as eachother across the season. That Adrian was number 1 at the end was a mere consequence of the order that shared that position.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Edit.
Last edited by il_martello_di_genovesi on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:14 pm An irrelevant argument then... they shared the number 1 jersey across the season and were just as good as eachother across the season. That Adrian was number 1 at the end was a mere consequence of the order that shared that position.
Disagree that that’s true. Randolph was generally about the level of Adrian’s worst, for the most part, and couldn’t take his chance to replace him. It’s a really bad sign if you make your manager admit his mistake by being notably worse than the man you replace.

He isn’t and wasn’t as good as Randolph.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 pm Disagree that that’s true. Randolph was generally about the level of Adrian’s worst, for the most part, and couldn’t take his chance to replace him. It’s a really bad sign if you make your manager admit his mistake by being notably worse than the man you replace.

He isn’t and wasn’t as good as Randolph.
Absolutely...
It’s not irrelevant at all. If they were rotated every week then I would say fine, but the number of games doesn’t matter. The way the number was shared does and that was Adrian losing his place through mistakes and regaining it towards the end of the season due to Randolph being worse...
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

PlaistowIron wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 am We’ve just signed our old 3rd choice keeper, to now be 2nd choice as our 1st choice is injured.

Trouble is, the guy we’ve signed who used to be 3rd choice and is now 2nd choice is also injured.

That leaves us with a likelihood of playing our 4th choice keeper this Saturday as our supposed current 3rd choice (who was initially brought in to be 2nd choice) is an absolute clown.

Next level 8-)
And that's Soap...
Macca1973
Has liked: 1797 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Marcos Rojo is the latest loan move I've just seen linked :asleep:
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Naturally the board claims to have spent 4m on randolph when it is more likely they have just written off monies owed.

Not a problem if it saves some cash from the reported 25m budget IF that money can be used to bring in a better quality cm, for example.

Just don't like the spin (if true)
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:45 pm Option to buy 55 million West Ham option 33 million sunk by yet another Sully lowball bid Headbanger
To be fair, 55M is a hell of a lot of money for a kid...the world's gone mad :shock:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1797 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

£25m budget :lol: stop it!
ChazHammer

Post by ChazHammer »

Don't really get the uproar about Randolph, he's just a back up.
Most of the time back up keepers only get playing time in the cups and spend the season on the bench...
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

ChazHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 pm Don't really get the uproar about Randolph, he's just a back up.
Most of the time back up keepers only get playing time in the cups and spend the season on the bench...
A fair few were saying the same about Roberto when he signed..me too in fact...and look how that worked out.
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

badabing wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:25 am This club

If you were making an The Office type documentary about us, the viewers would say it was too far fetched.
Brilliant 👍
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:45 pm Option to buy 55 million West Ham option 33 million sunk by yet another Sully lowball bid Headbanger
In all fairness, we had zero chance in that deal irrespective of how much Sully offered (which was confirmed by overseas journos). Not that Sully would ever have offered much!
ChazHammer

Post by ChazHammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:12 pm If we spent big and failed we would probably moan. But we could say that at least they gave it a go and tried. There would be dissatisfaction but not vitriol. But their deception, manipulation and greed means they are indefensible.
You could argue that Pellegrini was "at least they tried"
ChazHammer

Post by ChazHammer »

Sloop John B wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm A fair few were saying the same about Roberto when he signed..me too in fact...and look how that worked out.
Very true, although to compare him with Roberto is a bit of an insult. I reckon he'll provide competent back up when called upon personally.
And this kind of injury ravaging is not something that happens regularly