The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Sir_Trevor »

keithwright1977 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 pm The problem is unless we have a world class goalkeeper in front of our low in confidence defence then championship here we come
I was referring more to the quaint notion that there is any scouting involved in our transfer policy :wink:
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

keithwright1977 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 pm I think if we sold Roberto to Liverpool he would end up winning something, Adrian has looked dodgy at times but Liverpool don’t concede nowhere near as many goal scoring chances as we do
nonsense. there is no way liverpool would have won their first games of the season with roberto.

liverpool in their current state could have signed anyone as backup. their scouting department chose adrian over the others.

but none of this really matters anymore I guess since we are stuck with randolph. when he gets injured maybe we can lure robert green out of retirement.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I am glad we have bought Randolph, just the sort of player you need for the championship. These c**** are draining the last remnants of life out of this club.
Splitting the fanbase, blaming all and sundry , putting their puppet on sky sport claiming we have 50 ,000 on the waiting list , believing their own propaganda.
:thdn:
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

umweb wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm nonsense. there is no way liverpool would have won their first games of the season with roberto.

liverpool in their current state could have signed anyone as backup. their scouting department chose adrian over the others.

but none of this really matters anymore I guess since we are stuck with randolph. when he gets injured maybe we can lure robert green out of retirement.
Very solid chance they would have.
Roberto is bad, but Liverpool are also obscenely good and give up very few shots.

Adrian made 2 errors leading to goals in 10 games, Roberto did the same, Adrian saved 64% of the 25 shots he faced, Roberto saved 54% of shots faced.
That means even if we assume that Roberto would keep the same save % behind a much better defense (probably not honestly, but lets go with a worst case scenario), you're looking at a difference of about 2 goals over 10 games surrendered, so depending how it shook out... maybe they don't win a game or two, but maybe they do.

Edit- this isn't to say Adrian is bad, he's not, he's just not a top keeper. Ideally, I'd probably take him over Randolph, he had more high spells, but he's a bang average backup keeper in this league just like Randolph. There is a reason he couldn't get a single offer in PL or La Liga to be a club's #1.
Last edited by Cellar-door on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazwhu66
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Gazwhu66 »

Apologies as off topic, The Dave's 10 years at WHU about to be discussed on The Debate on Sky. Could be interesting viewing.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

steveyrockstar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am ......Aaaaaaand Randolph has returned.

Just announced on official site.
Can I just say:
F*CK MY OLD BOOTS...
We're going down...
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Mirror reckon we are trying to loan Ross Barkley.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Have we re-signed any more of our cast offs yet?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The Sun have us interested, but at the back of the queue, for left back Layvin Kurzawa.
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 pm Mirror reckon we are trying to loan Ross Barkley.
might be ok. if he could be bothered.
what a bizarre career he's had.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 pm Mirror reckon we are trying to loan Ross Barkley.
Not the type of midfielder we need.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

hammer1975 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:55 pm Not the type of midfielder we need.
When's that ever stopped the PD?
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 500 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Another day passes and we don't seem to be addressing any of our outfield issues. I wouldn't be against Ross coming in. I think he would do quite well here and still hungry to succeed.

Need to get some players in early.
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

Ricardo Rodriguez has joined Fenerbache on loan from Milan with an option of a €6m transfer. A high quality left back. Surely we should have shown some interest on those terms?
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm Very solid chance they would have.
Roberto is bad, but Liverpool are also obscenely good and give up very few shots.

Adrian made 2 errors leading to goals in 10 games, Roberto did the same, Adrian saved 64% of the 25 shots he faced, Roberto saved 54% of shots faced.
That means even if we assume that Roberto would keep the same save % behind a much better defense (probably not honestly, but lets go with a worst case scenario), you're looking at a difference of about 2 goals over 10 games surrendered, so depending how it shook out... maybe they don't win a game or two, but maybe they do.

Edit- this isn't to say Adrian is bad, he's not, he's just not a top keeper. Ideally, I'd probably take him over Randolph, he had more high spells, but he's a bang average backup keeper in this league just like Randolph. There is a reason he couldn't get a single offer in PL or La Liga to be a club's #1.
Roberto cant even catch a cross from a corner.He has to punch it. Reminds me of Patsy Fagan the snooker player years ago that couldnt use the rest. He couldnt let it go . Roberto has issues lol. No way would any team would play this guy in the Premier league. Or any League after this seasons evidence. Whatever he has done , has been done. Whether its mental issues or cross phobia,s i have no idea but you cannot compare any goalie that is capable of catching the ball to Roberto.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Adecoker wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:07 am Ricardo Rodriguez has joined Fenerbache on loan from Milan with an option of a €6m transfer. A high quality left back. Surely we should have shown some interest on those terms?
Doesn't seem a great fit, he can only play on the left, and his strengths are considered to be in his attacking play and his weaknesses in his defending. Not sure he brings much if anything that Masuaku doesn't.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm Very solid chance they would have.

While all of this is true it doesn't take into account some vital factors.

1) when a keeper is :thdn: the defence doesn't trust him and so they make different/worse decisions that lead to more shots and more goals
2) when facing an incompetent keeper opposition's tend to take more shots from less ideal situations knowing that there is a chance
3) they would only have needed one loss or late draw from a goalkeeping blunder to destabilise their currently unshakable confidence. Given how early it was in the season it could all be very different now.
4) the official stats say he made 2 mistakes leading to goals because of phases of play, but let's be honest he was involved in the build up to many more concerned goals than that.
5) Liverpool play a style that they wouldn't abandon just because he was **** and he would have been forced to do more passing and general competent footballing things than he was called on for us. This would have further exposed him until they realised that they needed to change things to account for it and again destabilised the team.

Would Liverpool be staring at relegation if you swapped those players? No, no where near. Would they have the sort of lead that would require Kegan levels of meltdown to throw away? No no they wouldn't.
b0x

Post by b0x »

Adecoker wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:07 am Ricardo Rodriguez has joined Fenerbache on loan from Milan with an option of a €6m transfer. A high quality left back. Surely we should have shown some interest on those terms?
why would sullys tiny circle of agents hawk another agents player?

the only players available to us are those connected to the agents sulli knows and of that small pool of players what ranks highest is reputation divided by cost... the less interest there is in the player and higher the reputation the higher the chance we'll do a deal

as a consequence the targets that bubble up at the top of sullis genius plan are players with the following attributes
- lack of interest
- past his best
- injury prone
- attitude issues
- lack of professionalism
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

A player who is being loaned to a team in Turkey? No thanks
traxop

Post by traxop »

As much as our goal keepers have cost us points this season, we are getting to the stage where our potential survival will come down to our ability to win our "winnable" games and worrying about the finer details of the deal for a BACKUP keeper is just stupid. All we can do is hope he'll do a passable job the handful of times that he'll be called upon.

Having a good goal keeper can be match winning, but most of the time the role is reactive and invariably in games, there will be chances created that a goal keeper will not be able save, no matter how good he is.

So with that in mind, I'm fine with getting whomever we get(it just happens to be Randolph) as long as we are able to address the midfield issue THIS window. We can't keep allowing teams to overrun our midfield of Rice, Noble and Snodgrass and still expect to control many games, let alone win them.

I'll happily take Randolph on the cheap if it means we can shore up our midfield, and by shoring it up, I don't mean getting a clone to Noble like Joe Allen. We need midfielders that can offer something the others can't. We can't be carrying another midfield player who lacks the pace, creativity, physicality or athleticism - it's simply what we do not need right now.
Last edited by traxop on Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.