The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Compared to Lanzini, Barkley is much stronger and has a wider range of passing. If I could swap the two then I would.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

diop in the midfield would be a disaster and leave us short for CBs unless you are relying on reid |?

barkley would be good but again not what we need but an 18 month loan would suit sully .

we need a proper CM/DM such as hayden berge sangare etc 15-20m

sell yarmolenko to part fund it.

RB also required as we have nothing there now fredericks is out until march. can we really just go with zabaleta and a not fit ben Johnson ?

The next signing must be either a RB or DM or we are doomed.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Billydinho wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:33 am What the hell does anyone see in Diop to think he could play in midfield.

No technical ability, no positional sense, no passing range.
He once ran 20 yards with the ball.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

needs to concentrate on being a CB or his transfer to Chelsea spurs ? 50m
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Needed a all action combative physical cm for years now, pretty much a musnt lose game saturday and another big game on Wednesday.
Utter negligence to not have a top draw midfielder in first week of jan.
Kessie is even on the transfer list for gods sake.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I think Diop is a good player sadly the manages here don’t. I think he would be great alongside Rice. He s athletic, fast, can tackle and pass.
I’m trying yo be pragmatic as our owners force us to be
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 am Compared to Lanzini, Barkley is much stronger and has a wider range of passing. If I could swap the two then I would.
I agree, especially as we have Fornals now who is already starting to look like a better prospect than Lanzini.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Diop might have to play rb sat. Zab wont cope with Richardson
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

DIOP WOULD BE A DISASTER IN MIDFIELD A HEADLESS CHICKEN AND EXPOSE RICE EVEN MORE. WE NEED A KESSIE ETC TYPE ALONGSIDE RICE. THEN WE CAN PLAY ONE OF SNODDY OR NOBLE FOR 60 MINS.

I wouldn't sell masuaka as he is useful at LB LWB and LM . also leaves us with just cresswell ! unless they offer silly money for him but they wont. if its below 10m whats the point ?

we need another fullback on the other side and not clyne !

barkely would be better than a current lanzini. sell lanzini for 25m and get barkely in on loan. sell yarmolenko for 5-8m and ajeti for 4m. hughill can go for 4m as well.
recall Cullen and diagana

buy the CM we need with the 25m

buy/loan a RB

buy/loan a CF
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

The big problem here appears to be Sullivan is not prepared to give Moyes any money,imo.Randolph was probably "loose change".
The loan route is limited to two players in one window and the idea of wasting one on Barkley,or,indeed, Fernandes looks incredibly foolish,imo, considering where the weaknesses are!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

ashbanki wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 am The loan route is limited to two players in one window and the idea of wasting one on Barkley,or,indeed, Fernandes looks incredibly foolish,imo, considering where the weaknesses are!
Central midfield?
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

ashbanki wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 am The big problem here appears to be Sullivan is not prepared to give Moyes any money,imo.Randolph was probably "loose change".
The loan route is limited to two players in one window and the idea of wasting one on Barkley,or,indeed, Fernandes looks incredibly foolish,imo, considering where the weaknesses are!
They are looking to avoid relegation with as little dough spent as possible.
In the summer Moyes will get a transfer fee sum like Pellegrini did.You also have to weigh up players that are an option but don,t want to come here and fight a relegation battle. Not easy in Jan to make the right choices and have choices considering where we are in League.
Why would Barkley come here and graft his nuts off for the rest of the season?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Barkley is a twat, no thanks, scores a few wonder goals occasionally as he shoots 4 thousand times, big no!
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Not been on here much as can't really be bothered - same sense of apathy as when Moyes came in last time. No excitement. But...

Randolph will be fine. He'll play in the FA cup and save a penalty from De Bruyne in the final which we'll scrape 1-0. Trott is the future, so I can understand why we didn't want to sign someone younger.

I said this in the summer, but we should be trying to sign Ibrahim Sangaré. Not seen much news around him this window, he was linked with Everton and Spurs in the summer. I suspect that Toulouse being at the bottom of Ligue 1 has something to do with it. He's the exact type of player we need in midfield.

It's the most important thing to improve right now, is our midfield. I wouldn't sell anyone, if we can avoid it. In a 3-4-2-1 Masuaku can excel at wing back with slightly less defensive obligation, we can have Anderson and Lanzini/Fornals flitting behind Haller, and Rice/Sangaré to hold the midfield positions together.

The only other thing we could do with is finding a right wing back - a loan sounds like a good idea there, given Fredericks (who I still like) will return at the end of February.

But seriously, it's the same problem we've had for years - lack of control in midfield. When we can get it, as we did against Bournemouth, we look good. Too often we don't get it, because we lack a player that combines what Rice and Noble do - tackle to regain the ball and then immediately look forward creatively, either to take the ball forward with pace or to play a pass and develop a move.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am Central midfield?
Type of player, not the rough area of the pitch said player plays!
A box to box CM that sits deep,alongside Rice, breaks up play and drives forward and is ready now - that's not a Portuguese kid who has just broken into Benfica's first team or an attacking CMF that is quite poor defensively and is arguably the same,maybe slightly better than the three or four we have already.
Depressed ~ Moyes will never be given a transfer budget that Pellegrini had,imo, he's here to save Sulli's wallet and arse.
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

Barkley would definitely give us more options in CM. Being able to select 3 from Rice, Fornals, Barkley, Noble & Snodgrass should give us enough options for now. It would also mean that we would have someone who could carry the ball out of midfield.

The glaring hole is still RWB, unless Moyes is planning on playing Antonio there.

Personally I'd like to see us keep Yarmolenko and play him in a 2 up top with Haller. He has been brilliant for Ukraine playing up front. This would also allow us to potentially play Anderson as the furthest forward of the midfield 3.....

I'd look to sell Lanzini to raise funds for a RWB.

Then in the Summer I would look to clear out:
Sanchez
Roberto
Zabaleta
Masuaku
Hugill
Wilshire
Reid

And bring in a new CB and a new LWB which would give us a squad of:

GK: Fabianski, Randolph, Martin
RWB: New RWB, Fredericks
LWB: New LWB, Johnson, Cresswell
CB: Ogbonna, New CB, Diop, Balbuena, Cardoso
CM: Rice, Fornals, Barkley, Anderson, Noble, Snodgrass, Cullen, Coventry
ST: Haller, Yarmolenko, Antonio, Diangana, Holland, Ajeti
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Moyes back, Randolph back, anyone else think we're, er, going backwards?...
The 'plan' not working, Sully? Or more evidence that there never was, a f*cking plan in the first place?
It's almost like an admission of failure..
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

ads78 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am Barkley would definitely give us more options in CM. Being able to select 3 from Rice, Fornals, Barkley, Noble & Snodgrass should give us enough options for now. It would also mean that we would have someone who could carry the ball out of midfield.

The glaring hole is still RWB, unless Moyes is planning on playing Antonio there.

Personally I'd like to see us keep Yarmolenko and play him in a 2 up top with Haller. He has been brilliant for Ukraine playing up front. This would also allow us to potentially play Anderson as the furthest forward of the midfield 3.....

I'd look to sell Lanzini to raise funds for a RWB.

[*]Then in the Summer I would look to clear out:
Sanchez
Roberto
Zabaleta
Masuaku
Hugill
Wilshire
Reid

Most of them would be free.Be lucky to get 5 Million.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

ads78 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am

Then in the Summer I would look to clear out:
Sanchez
Roberto
Zabaleta
Masuaku
Hugill
Wilshire
Reid

That squad might just be enough to get into next seasons play-offs.
and I'm being ****ing serious.
el pato
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by el pato »

The next midfielder we sign should be the one that takes Mark Noble out of the equation, this is not another dig at Noble, it,s progress. No more stopgaps or punts