Welcome (again), Darren Randolph

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

rciron

Re: Welcome (again), Darren Randolph

Post by rciron » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 am

Kialos wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 am
I'm afraid I can't forget that he played for us previously. He was a second rate keeper then and second rate keeper now.

When the driver behind the signing of a player is being able to net the fee off of a debt as opposed to the player being the right signing to make it's a bad signing.

He's the wrong age, wont be improving only declining and is starting to be injury prone.

Exactly the sort of player you should not be offering a 3 1/2 year deal to unless you are an utter fekwit named David Sullivan.
:lol: this

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Post by PF. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 am

I think that all of us were surprised with the amount that we supposedly received from Boro. All makes sense now in that we’ve only probably received a million quid.

Financially made sense, didn’t it Dave? Same as those loans, the free managers and the free transfers.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:43 am

I actually thought this was 'fake news' when it was first mooted. It really is quite unbelievable.
As he is now a West Ham player (again) he gets my support. But Jeez..... :eh:

e17

Post by e17 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 am

thejackhammer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:22 pm
We've just signed the best goalkeeper in the championship to replace our two tragic backups.

Forget for a minute any preconceptions, had he never played for us we'd all be pretty impressed.
You must be a cheap date Jack :wink:

thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 am

Look, there's no defending the board in all they do, but back up goalkeeper is a strange position.

Throughout the league the back up goalkeepers are either free transfers, former number ones or the odd failed purchase. The only one I can think of who was expensive and bought with the future in mind is Leicester with Danny Ward.

Adrian - Free, Bravo - failed number one, Caballero - Free, Romero - Free, Gazzaniga - Free, Eastwood - academy.

People don't spend big there, our options were to find someone cheap happy to be back up, or spend big on someone who can or will eventually replace Fabianski. They were never taking option B, and of all the Option A's they could have found the Championship keeper of the year on a free isn't bad.

old fart

Post by old fart » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 am

The amount of posters on here who were moaning that Adrian was a better keeper than Fabianski only a couple of years ago ably demonstrates how keepers are judged.
Randolph is very solid,able keeper if unspectacular, proven at both premiership and international level and decent shot stopper.
Judging any keeper behind the West ham defence is a very tricky operation

WTID

Post by WTID » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 am

Dreadful signing made a mistake every time he played for us. The way this club is run is an absolute joke.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am

WTID wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 am
Dreadful signing made a mistake every time he played for us. The way this club is run is an absolute joke.
As Noble once said: 'This club ain't run like a circus anymore'. Quite right. More like a f@@@@@g theatre of comedy! :|

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 am

Made the Team of the Season while in the Championship last year so hopefully he's improved since he was last with us -

Thought his positioning was weak , he got caught out at his near post and at corners but he also pulled off some world class saves at times so as a second choice goalkeeper he's fine .

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 am
Thought his positioning was weak
That's what I always thought too although as is said above, was a pretty decent shot stopper. By anyone's standards though, he was better than Joe Hart.

Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:31 pm

WTID wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:03 am
No he didn't. Stop talking rubbish.

He was instated as No1 as Adrian was making lots of errors. He was fine to begin with, and then started making errors the same as Adrian did. It was Slav's fault for not taking him out and putting Adrian back in sooner.

He's a perfectly adequate No2 and i'm fairly confident he returns to us a better player than when he left.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:31 pm
He's a perfectly adequate No2 and i'm fairly confident he returns to us a better player than when he left.
I get your sentiment mate, but he'll be facing far better quality centre-forwards than he did in the Championship and he won't be used to our wayward back four (Oggie being the exception).

The Sherriff

Post by The Sherriff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm
Darren Randolph at his worst is miles better than David Martin. For starters he actually knows what his feet are there for, adn can both receive and make passes without panicking.
Martin is very good with his feet. In the few games hes played, thats very evident.

Cellar-door

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm

The Sherriff wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Martin is very good with his feet. In the few games hes played, thats very evident.
Huh? He couldn't even handle simple passes against Sheffield, was panicking every time he got a backpass. He's exceptionally uncomfortable with the role of receiving and distributing back-passes.

The Sherriff

Post by The Sherriff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm
WHilst Randolph is not the most overwhelming signing in the world, he is miles miles better than DAvid Martin who is not good enough to be a top flight back up in any way shape of form
There is a reason why he never played top flight football until he was 33, and was signed just to help the other keepers in training. I don't think he has even amassed 50 games in the second tier, 30 odd were in a relegation season

I appreciate there is a west ham connection at play, and Chelsea away was a great story, but David Martin is really really not good enough
Aside from the unfortunate mx up against Sheff Utd, he hasn't done a lot wrong. So as a back-up, hes been fine.

And that's exactly what is is .. a back up. When called upon he hasn't let us down to date.

Randolph hasn't even amassed 30 games at top flight throughout his career and when did play at this level, he really wasn't that good.

4ml for a back up, when we are short elsewhere and skint, isn't the best use of limited funds.

He'll get supported but its difficult to justify the signing and demonstrates our absurdity.

The Sherriff

Post by The Sherriff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Huh? He couldn't even handle simple passes against Sheffield, was panicking every time he got a backpass. He's exceptionally uncomfortable with the role of receiving and distributing back-passes.
He really isn't.

The mix up for the goal was unfortunarte but one thing you cant label at him is being poor with his feet. Hes actually very comfortable with the ball.

Not sure what you're looking at.

Albie Beck

Post by Albie Beck » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Don't get the coating some are giving Martin either. He was primarily signed to work with the group in training. A secondary role was as an emergency back-up on the bench, in the event of an injury to Fab. Through no fault of his he has been thrust in as first choice in several games and, all things considered, has done a fine job.

Whatever our issues with the other keepers let's be fair to David.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:22 pm

The Sherriff wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:49 pm
4ml for a back up, when we are short elsewhere and skint, isn't the best use of limited funds.
Believe me, the poison dwaft is anything but skint. Forget that idea for starters

goa127

Post by goa127 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:33 pm

I think martin's done pretty well overall. I don't think he could handle having to play week in week out, but he's done all that could be expected from him. Randolph's form fell away las time he was here, but since then he's restored his reputation. All the time Fab was at Arsenal he was regarded as a liability. The last four seasons he's been tremendous (Swansea and WHU). Many keepers really don't find their feet properly until they pass 30, don't think Randolph should be written off

norse

Post by norse » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:42 pm

«Hopefully fit» for Everton according to Moyes' presser