The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Believer »

Espio wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 pm Some potential Allen money here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... t-ham-15m/
Or new slippers for Junior money !

News now suggesting that we are not too confident about Berge now as 2 other PL clubs are now in for him. Tell me who’s surprised ? :asleep:
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

The highs (not many unless you include Randolphs height) and the lows (too many to write down) of this transfer window are draining, I think by the end of it we will all be just glad that it’s over and we can get back to the most important issue regarding the Hammers which is WHY DO WE KEEP DOING THIS TO OURSELVES
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Espio wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 pm Some potential Allen money here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... t-ham-15m/
This must be a shock to the system for Slav...
But Bilic is being backed by the club's hierarchy to propose a deal of £1.5m which they hope will persuade West Ham to let him stay for the rest of the season.
Imagine backing your manager when the side looks to be challenging...
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I actually think there is a decent chance we get Barkley. Chelsea have Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Willian, Hudson-0doi, and Pulisic in midfield or attacking midfield roles ahead of Barkley. Loftus-Cheek I ready to return from injury and will also be ahead of Barkley, and Chelsea are said to be close to signing Boubakry Soumare ( who I said we should sign this time last year when his contract was running down). Barkley isn’t a panacea or even the exact type of midfielder we need, but he is an upgrade on Lanzini, and pretty much the player we need Lanzini to be. Barkley isn’t as mercurial or magical as an in form Lanzini, but he is much more robust, Lanzini shares too many characteristics (both good and bad) with Anderson and Fornals, both of whom have surpassed Lanzini, who along with Yarmolenko is now too much of a luxury.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Ashley Young and Nemanja Matic the latest names linked this morning :lol:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Macca1973 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:54 am Ashley Young and Nemanja Matic the latest names linked this morning :lol:
It seems the press are currently linking us and everton with every player who might be available. Palace get a few mentions as well
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Man United have just fought to keep Ashley Young at their place rather than him going early to Inter. Matic would be pretty unlikely too, with Pogba and McTominay injured, leaving them with a threadbare midfield.

We'd be better off mooching off Leicester and Everton rejects. Or, if Arteta gets the 4 players he wants, trying to nab Arsenal rejects. There's some pretty "ok" strikers we could probably loan. Slimani has banged them in at Monaco and now fallen out with their gaffer, for instance.

How depressing.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I can honestly see Chelsea being after Rice in the summer... I believe Lampard has some romantic notion of having Rice and Mount together in the midfield.

I'd expect us to play that chip... 'give us Barkley until the end of the season and throw him into any deal for Rice in the summer and we'll make it easier for you to get Rice in the summer'. It could save Chelsea a big headache in the summer if we are playing ball, especially as I can't see Chelsea being the only club after Rice!

FWIW I think Barkley would be sterling in the middle for us... just what we need in my view.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

According to the Beeb, Young's move to Inter is back on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51142447
Graza

Post by Graza »

chigwells finest wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 pm i agree to a point , but ours look 50% slower than everybody else's
I'm not sure I'd back just straight slower, less fit, less interested yeah and bar Antonio we do lack breakaway pace while most teams have 2/3 players who can turn it on (and not be injured half a season). But most of their players can't.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I don't think we will sign anyne else other than allen who will join in a couple of weeks time at the end of the window.
we are going down and the shysters know that. I reckon we will see one big player sold perhaps yarmolenko or lanzini. they will then bring in allen and say there wasn't enough time despite sully working 30 hrs a day.

they will see Antonio returning from injury soon as a new player who will play up top with haller. if he breaks down we have Anderson up there.
allen will come in for noble and fredericks is back in march !

we are going down and I don't mind if it means the end of gsb.

here`s to Saturdays static and vocal protest
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 am I don't think we will sign anyne else other than allen who will join in a couple of weeks time at the end of the window.
we are going down and the shysters know that.
No way we are going down. We mullered Bournemouth and were unlucky not to beat Sheff Utd. We will comfortably finish mid table again and regroup in the summer.

The reality is that loan signings make much more sense in the Jan window. No point lumbering ourselves with permanent panic buys in Jan when we can make more considered and planned transfers in the summer.

We should have a real go at the FA Cup and finish as high as we can in the league. No major surgery required until the summer.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

'Comfortably mid-table and have a go at the FA Cup'? :shock: have you seen our midfield and full-backs play this season? Have you seen our remaining fixtures? No way are we finishing mid-table, I also think we will go down this season but if we do stay up it will be skin of the teeth stuff! We DESPARATELY need a quick, energetic central midfielder and a right back, not Joe Allen!
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

ironlunga are you watching the same west ham I am ? yes we beat the poorest side to have visited the LS dump for years in Bournemouth but everyone is beating them. Watford 3-0 at Bournemouth.
sheff utd we got what we deserved they were by far the better team. yes we were unlucky at the end with the rice disallowed goal but we didn't deserve anything.
we scraped through in the cup;

our next few matches are
everton h
Leicester a
Liverpool h
brighton h
man city a
Liverpool a
now apart from everton and brighton where I think we may get 1-3 points where else are the points coming from?

we will be firmly in the bottom 3 and going down.
a CM has been needed for ages and we should have bought one. its clear that the board don't want to spend anything in this window hence the arrival of no fee Randolph. we may if we are lucky get joe allen but he wont make much difference
I hope you are right but I cant see it. we had our easy run of games under pelle before xmas, he messed up and now we are going to get stuffed quite a few times
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

Macca1973 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:48 amhave you seen our midfield and full-backs play this season? Have you seen our remaining fixtures?
We will be fine league wise, probably 13th or 14th. We will get past West Brom and be in the last 16 of the FA Cup - Luck of the draw after that :thup:
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

ironilunga wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 am We will be fine league wise, probably 13th or 14th. We will get past West Brom and be in the last 16 of the FA Cup - Luck of the draw after that :thup:
I admire your optimism mate.

Personally I think they need to bring in some quality for anything beyond 16th & a relegation battle, to stop a mass exodus of our better players in the summer (wouldn’t want to stay right now if I was Diop, Haller or Rice), and to quell a supporter reaction that will get worse than Burnley if they do nothing.

I’m also not sure about the West Brom game - they’ve bags of confidence and we haven’t.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

West Brom haven't won in 5 league games and played their reserves in the last round.

It's only Leeds' patchy form that's kept them top.

They won't be risking the first team on the FA Cup with promotion on the horizon.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:52 am ironlunga are you watching the same west ham I am ? yes we beat the poorest side to have visited the LS dump for years in Bournemouth but everyone is beating them. Watford 3-0 at Bournemouth.
sheff utd we got what we deserved they were by far the better team. yes we were unlucky at the end with the rice disallowed goal but we didn't deserve anything.
we scraped through in the cup
No we are not watching the same West Ham - We deserved at least a point at Sheff Utd and did a professional job at the Gills. We thrashed Bournemouth who one week earlier got a point against Arsenal?

I dont doubt that we need a player in midfield and probably a right back but major surgery can wait until the summer.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

ironilunga wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 am No we are not watching the same West Ham - We deserved at least a point at Sheff Utd and did a professional job at the Gills. We thrashed Bournemouth who one week earlier got a point against Arsenal?

I dont doubt that we need a player in midfield and probably a right back but major surgery can wait until the summer.
Did I really just read hammerbot mk11 try to claim Sheffield United were 'by far' the better team?! :lol:

My god can people please stop quoting him.
Graza

Post by Graza »

thejackhammer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 am West Brom haven't won in 5 league games and played their reserves in the last round.

It's only Leeds' patchy form that's kept them top.

They won't be risking the first team on the FA Cup with promotion on the horizon.
Bilic will know we are there for the taking and the confidence it would give his team from battering a premier league team. Plus then he can spit in GSB's face. Wins all round for him.