The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Cellar-door »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am Comolli signed a 17-year-old left back who was constantly injured. It is Harry Redknapp who deserves the credit for converting him into a winger and developing him as a player.
He signed a 17 year old with incredible physical gifts and a ton of talent, that's what you do, you sign youngsters based on their talents and the coaching staff figures out how best to use them
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Cellar-door wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 am He signed a 17 year old with incredible physical gifts and a ton of talent, that's what you do, you sign youngsters based on their talents and the coaching staff figures out how best to use them
The guy is a shyster who talks a good game. Even Arsène Wenger couldn’t stand the guy!

‘If Wenger would be indebted to players such as Thierry Henry and Robert Pires, then the manager's affection for Comolli, the club's European talent scout from 1996-2003, for ushering the legendary France internationals Wenger's way, together with a glut of other stars, would surely know no bounds.

‘"I let you write what you want about Comolli," Wenger said in November 2010, with scarcely concealed disgust. "He was a scout here and not a director of football. He worked under Steve Rowley [the chief scout]. That is it. Only one person decides who comes in here and that is me. Nobody else."

‘Comolli is never knowingly undersold, although his detractors at Tottenham, St Etienne and Liverpool, from whom he has now parted, would take issue with that on a less figurative level. It is his chutzpah, his ability to sell himself, that has helped propel him to positions of influence in English football. But as he digested his departure from the post of director of football strategy at Anfield, it was possible to see this attribute as having come before a fall – again.

’Comolli, though, has accumulated enemies or at least football people who have nothing good to say about him. They were shedding no tears over his demise at Liverpool. If he is treated with scorn by Wenger and others at Arsenal, then the same became true at Tottenham, where sources say the only discovery he made was the defender Benoît Assou-Ekotto.

‘Comolli likes to point out that on his three-year watch Tottenham signed success stories such as Dimitar Berbatov, Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Heurelho Gomes, not to mention Assou-Ekotto, although there were plenty of misses, too. His claim, however, that it was he who conceived the capture of Berbatov was one of a number to go down badly. Arnesen had done the legwork on that deal. At Arsenal only Gaël Clichy was a Comolli recommendation.

’Martin Jol, who was the Tottenham manager when Comolli arrived, clashed with him over signings and Harry Redknapp told the chairman, Daniel Levy, that he would not come to Tottenham in October 2008 if he had to work under a sporting director. The manager caught the mood at the club over Comolli. "Yeah, he should take all the credit, for sure," Redknapp has said, sarcastically.’
Al Fisti
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Al Fisti »

I would appreciate Lazaro from Inter on loan. He is very good on the right wing. :thup:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

An enemy of Redknapp in the transfer market? Sounds a big recommendation
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Just want to check I've not missed anything.

We're 18 days or three games gone during the window. Or next five games consist of an FA cup game, the top three league clubs and a relegation rival match. We've still got all the issues we've had for most of the season but we've signed Darren Randolph.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

January window is always tough; even more so with our penny pinching board. I’m not expecting any more signings and the premier league market generally is quiet which is a worrying sign.

Good business needed to be done in the summer but we never seem to get the balance right between quality and depth. Always one or other and it always ends up costing us.

Still never having to watch Roberto in goal again is good for my blood pressure so the window hasn’t been a complete write off!
Tackler

Post by Tackler »

Al Fisti wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:09 am I would appreciate Lazaro from Inter on loan. He is very good on the right wing. :thup:
We have other priorities than wingers

Full backs keeper and a CM for starters
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 pm Leeds are preparing a bid for Bowen I just read. If we are so great why is a Championship club seemingly about to outdo us in this transfer business malarkey? A cheap semi fit, semi paid for back up keeper. Wow!
If Leeds get up this summer (as looks likely) the QSI deal will go through and they’ll stream past us in the league. Whilst these owners continue to fail to deliver our potential we will get left further behind.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Our squad is so threadbare at the moment, it's worrying that we have such a small pool of players to choose from. Can't believe a manager as highly rated as Pellegrini was, would let us be in this position.
I think we are about 5 players short of where we should be.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

January is tough when you wont spend anything,
If we dont we'll more than likely go down,
Waiting till the last day or so of the window to see who we can have on loan is unacceptable and simply another sign of negligence.
Unsure why people keep buying into this narrative of its hard in jan, there are plenty players available, berge kessie e.t.c who improve tbe slowest midfield in the league.
Unfortunately it means spending which we know is the problem,
18th richest club in the world and our fate lays partly in people like Barry silkman...
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

I was expecting new and exciting name's this morning with today's planned protest! Hearing the situation with the scouting system and they way we do business says it all....
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Sticking to Stoke but away from Joe Allen, Badou Ndiaye looked decent for them, a bit Kouyate like with his legs from box to box and size. I also remember people praising the signing of Imbula who seems to have had a nomadic loan career for the last few years. I presume that’s because he never kicked on.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

leer34 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:40 am
Unsure why people keep buying into this narrative of its hard in jan, there are plenty players available, berge kessie e.t.c who improve tbe slowest midfield in the league.
Unfortunately it means spending which we know is the problem,
18th richest club in the world and our fate lays partly in people like Barry silkman...
Because it is hard! The club you buy from has to find a replacement and/or is very unkeen to sell. Even the biggest clubs in football struggle with it. It also takes ages to pull together a deal. A lot of summer transfers start being negotiated in April. The winter window compresses everything.

The players you list are good prospects and are priced as such. It is more likely that they will need months to settle like Fornals than that they will make an instant impact. They will also be worth about half as much if we go down. Boring I know but the club has to think about things like that.

We need players who can slot straight in. Low risk on the pitch and financially. Those are even harder to find.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am Comolli signed a 17-year-old left back who was constantly injured. It is Harry Redknapp who deserves the credit for converting him into a winger and developing him as a player.
Exceptional vision from Comolli.

I will accept that both Spurs and Liverpool enjoyed a combination of sizeable investment (unlikely with our owners) and a virtual cast iron commitment not to buy players over a certain age. Arsenal used to do something similar, and with contract renewals.

We could do with employing a similar strategy.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Since we only use two agents, somebody called Will Salthouse and the other, Sully's old mucker, Silkman, unless any targeted player is on their books, we won't have access to anybody else, will we ? That's how this sort of thing rolls, I believe. This and only one poxy agent, small wonder we are struggling and all this before, Sully starts haggling over the selling price and everything else
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:25 am Since we only use two agents, somebody called Will Salthouse and the other, Sully's old mucker, Silkman, unless any targeted player is on their books, we won't have access to anybody else, will we ? That's how this sort of thing rolls, I believe. This and only one poxy agent, small wonder we are struggling and all this before, Sully starts haggling over the selling price and everything else
Matt Grimes is managed by Salthouse - surprised he’s not been mentioned or linked
swerley

Post by swerley »

hammer1975 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:33 am If Leeds get up this summer (as looks likely) the QSI deal will go through and they’ll stream past us in the league. Whilst these owners continue to fail to deliver our potential we will get left further behind.
If Leeds come up, there is a good chance right now that they won't have to worry about us and we won't have to worry about them.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

It clearly is very difficult signing players in Jan, because barely a single bit of notable business has been done in the PL this month bar specuative punts and flailing players who literally were unwanted.

Liverpool have signed a Japanese wildcard, Spurs have this kid Fernandes on loan, Sheff Utd have signed forgotten perma-crock Jack Rodwell on a free, Palace have signed Everton flop Tosun on loan, and Villa have signed 53-year-old Reina on loan. Norwich have made a couple of overseas punts I've never heard of. That's literally it. It's a crap window. The only notable signing that seems to be on the cards is Bruno Fernandes to Man U.

https://talksport.com/football/650776/p ... l-chelsea/
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

ChzMff wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:00 am Sticking to Stoke but away from Joe Allen, Badou Ndiaye looked decent for them
I would bluddy love it if we signed him! Purely because I have an amazing chant ready for this dude, to the tune of Live & Let Die.. 8-)
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 am It clearly is very difficult signing players in Jan, because barely a single bit of notable business has been done in the PL this month bar specuative punts and flailing players who literally were unwanted.

Liverpool have signed a Japanese wildcard, Spurs have this kid Fernandes on loan, Sheff Utd have signed forgotten perma-crock Jack Rodwell on a free, Palace have signed Everton flop Tosun on loan, and Villa have signed 53-year-old Reina on loan. Norwich have made a couple of overseas punts I've never heard of. That's literally it. It's a crap window. The only notable signing that seems to be on the cards is Bruno Fernandes to Man U.

https://talksport.com/football/650776/p ... l-chelsea/
Actually going through the names, watford have signed this 18yo brazilian who is already apparently worth 18million. that one could turn out a bit special (hoping it goes the same way as richarlison most likely)