West Ham Utd 1-1 Everton (18/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: West Ham United v Everton: Match Thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:22 pm Letting in one goal was a bit better than Pellegrini's customary three, while we scored our first goal all season from a header.

From small things, big things one day come.

It's going to take a change in playing personnel to make a marked improvement though.
Take away the games Roberto played and our defensive record under Pelligrini was fine
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

is moyes going to halt the progress fornals has been making? haller equally to blame for their goal as zaba such a passive player. Ajeti looked alright maybe we can start home games with 2 uptop
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

DM wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:53 pm On 5Live they said Ajeti back headbutted the Everton player and it should've been a straight red.
Looked bad on VAR replay. I thought he was a gonna.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

You have to praise David Moyes, he’s got a very average set of players to perform in the 4 games he’s been here. If we don’t get anyone decent in then the only thing that will get us out of trouble is hard work and he seems to be able to get that out of the players
Graza

Post by Graza »

If I'd been offered a point before a ball was kicked I'd have taken it to be honest, but the way we managed to drop our 16th and 17th points from winning positions... ****'s sake.

First half there was a lack of quality from both teams, the final pass was always just off but we had the better of it, Zab had a go, Haller had a narrow 1 v 1 and a header he didn't get over and on balance of chances of not play it felt right that we were up. Then we shaft ourselves again. Haller pressures a defender into conceding a corner then touches his shoulder - and he didn't need to, he didn't pull him back to stop him getting the ball that was long gone it was just the mearest touch - player goes to ground (as they did all ****ing game) and instead of us having a corner a couple of minutes after our goal to try and capitalize and get a second they go up the other end get one of their own and score. It was so unnecessary, the touch, the dive and the decision, but he doesn't touch him he can't go down like that. Then Pickford makes a really really good save from a Fornals header just before the half. Blx.

Second half we were hanging on for half an hour but I felt towards the end we were looking more like the team that could nick it. Pickfords mad dash, Haller with his head again. They had more control but the chances were pretty even.

Final thing to mention, ****ing VAR. The Ajeti "headbutt" incident, BBC sport have Upson saying it was a red, sky didn't even put it in the highlights package or mention it in their commentary, but what gets me is 2 things. 1 we were attacking, we could and should have gone on to have another chance at goal, but instead we stop so VAR can check. VAR can ****ing check anyway, you don't have to stop the game - oh wait West Ham were attacking and it'll break their flow blow the whistle. 2 the diving little **** gets up, no treatment, no waiting he was obviously just breaking up play after a minor coming together and he doesn't get booked for unsportsmanlike conduct (trying to get another professional sent off). I couldn't see from where I was but from the limited text I can find the defender lent on him and he pushed back with his head so he went to ground trying to get the man sent off. I've not seen it back yet but f*** me.

Generally I thought we were more positive going forward but played like strangers a lot, misplaced passes, mistimed runs, Haller I think had his worst game for us despite finally having some service and support. I also think that Ajeti should have been deployed with 15 or 20 left not ****ing 6.

Not unhappy with the point.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm Take away the games Roberto played and our defensive record under Pelligrini was fine
You are very naive to think Roberto was the only reason we were losing games, for god sake we lost 2-0 away at Burnley last season and it could have been six
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

We were unlucky to only get a point against a team that is, on paper superior. In addition they were managed by Ancelotti, one of the most successful managers in the world game.

That is pretty decent for me.

What we need desperately is more depth to the squad. Bringing in Allen should be a priority, and hopefully Chelsea will decide they don’t need Barkley after all.

Zabaleta proved he is still a class player despite his age, and still looks superior than Fredericks for me, though obviously he is more leggy at his age.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

With zero pace in that side due to Anderson and antonio being out I thought we would struggle to create chances and it proved to be the case. The attitude is spot on now but don't know if its too little too late. Hallers passing is close to Sanchez level of poor.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Not the 3 points we needed but a hard earned draw. Not sure we have the quality or confidence at the moment without Antonio to go out and get at teams and win games. That Brighton game is massive already.

To add I thought Ajeti was decent for the 10 minutes he came on, battled, worked hard and put himself about. Thought he made more of an impact in those 10 minutes than Haller did for most of the game.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

We have played three games won one At a canter, where unlucky not to draw away against one of the best sides currently in the league and, today, where unlucky not to beat a side in very good form.

I think mentally it is better for the squad to get used to not losing, rather than a choppy win-lose-win-lose streak as it toughens up the players and makes them feel like they are never out of a match.

Some will argue that the points mean the second scenario is better, but I don’t think so.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm With zero pace in that side due to Anderson and antonio being out I thought we would struggle to create chances and it proved to be the case. The attitude is spot on now but don't know if its too little too late. Hallers passing is close to Sanchez level of poor.
I thought we created the better chances on goal and more than we have for a while (except against Bournemouth who were ****). We didn't break on then, everything was much too slow but we did create enough to have been 2 up before we scored.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Everton without two of their best players were poor as expected. Disappointed that we can't win a game like this. Missing Anderson was big for us. Lanzini did not come close to filling his boots.

We were ok, but seriously lacking the quality to turn games like this into wins. We'll be looking over our shoulder til May.

Haller...In the first half a ball was played to him (ok not the greatest pass), but all that was needed was for him to move one yard and he would've got it. Instead he waited to see if it went to his feet and when it didn't he stood there. Not good enough from him.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:37 pm Everton without two of their best players were poor as expected. Disappointed that we can't win a game like this. Missing Anderson was big for us. Lanzini did not come close to filling his boots.

We were ok, but seriously lacking the quality to turn games like this into wins. We'll be looking over our shoulder til May.

Haller...In the first half a ball was played to him (ok not the greatest pass), but all that was needed was for him to move one yard and he would've got it. Instead he waited to see if it went to his feet and when it didn't he stood there. Not good enough from him.
If his attitude does not improve we should put him in the bench. Unfortunately our bench is so weak we cannot get away with doing it!
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

watched from home, i dont understand how lanzini was allowed to stay on but fornals was taken off.

Arteji looked fine when he came on, personally think he was lucky to stay on the pitch when they showed back the replays of it. Pretty stupid thing to do considering he had been on the pitch all of 10mins and could of been sent off for it
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

keithwright1977 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 pm You are very naive to think Roberto was the only reason we were losing games, for god sake we lost 2-0 away at Burnley last season and it could have been six
I know full well Roberto is not solely to blame for those defeats but equally it is silly to say Pelligrini couldn't get us to defend. Clean sheets away to Southampton and Chelsea with a traiming ground keeper would suggest otherwise

Four points is the absolute minimum would should have got from Moyes first three league games and Pelligrini would have got that as a minimum as well iMHO
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:15 pm We were unlucky to only get a point against a team that is, on paper superior.
Who would you inarguably take from their starting XI over ours? Pickford and the two fullbacks for me. That’s about it. On current form Walcott over Lanzini but not based on a longer timeframe. No one is picking Delph over Rice.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Aceface wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:54 pm Who would you inarguably take from their starting XI over ours? Pickford and the two fullbacks for me. That’s about it. On current form Walcott over Lanzini but not based on a longer timeframe. No one is picking Delph over Rice.
DCL has had a better season than Haller. And he actually moves around!
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I know he has his own thread but f*ck me, Haller's general play today was abysmal. Slower than Zaba, control non-existent, passing shocking. £45m? Nah.
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

Graza wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Final thing to mention, ****ing VAR. The Ajeti "headbutt" incident, BBC sport have Upson saying it was a red, sky didn't even put it in the highlights package or mention it in their commentary, but what gets me is 2 things. 1 we were attacking, we could and should have gone on to have another chance at goal, but instead we stop so VAR can check. VAR can ****ing check anyway, you don't have to stop the game - oh wait West Ham were attacking and it'll break their flow blow the whistle. 2 the diving little **** gets up, no treatment, no waiting he was obviously just breaking up play after a minor coming together and he doesn't get booked for unsportsmanlike conduct (trying to get another professional sent off). I couldn't see from where I was but from the limited text I can find the defender lent on him and he pushed back with his head so he went to ground trying to get the man sent off. I've not seen it back yet but **** me.
And that shoulder barge Zaba did at the end, text book manoeuvre but the player stayed down and the ref blew up for it, absolutely nothing wrong.

Every time an Everton player went down the ref stop play and awarded them a decision, it was beyond bad referring, it was almost partisan.

That VAR at the end, we were all over them, the ref didn’t even blow up for about 30 seconds but the Everton player stayed down and in the end he stopped play, check VAR for 3 minutes and, surprise surprise, there wasn’t a foul.

But he gave them the free kick anyway! So was it a card or not?

Appalling, I’m still raging.

That said we weren’t good enough to take 3 points, we only deserved a point.

How Lanzini stayed on was a mystery, thought he was ineffective all game.

And Haller, he either lacks sooooo much confidence, or he doesn’t want to be there. Saw no real energy from him, yes he had a few chances and came alive in bursts, but no killer instinct, even fell over his own feet at the end when he had some space, like he didn’t want to get in a position to shoot just in case he blew it.

We were only worth a point today, but Everton were truely pathetic.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2500 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Everton's team is very similiar to ours - mostly unremarkable, over-rated, a bit powder puff up front.