David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Faithless »

neathiron wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:50 pm More like a Betamax :wink:
I almost went with that but that'd probably cost more than a VHS :lol:
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Faithless wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:55 pm I almost went with that but that'd probably cost more than a VHS :lol:
Better picture too.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Ironing Board wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pmAnother is you learn much more
In person as you can watch what happens off the ball, which can actually be much more important.
At the Olympic Stadium with our midfield it’s a bit like watching ants on ketamine
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

e17 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 pm At the Olympic Stadium with our midfield it’s a bit like watching ants on ketamine
Fortunately when Moyes is watching the oppos it tends to be in 'normal' football stadiums :)
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

e17 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 pm At the Olympic Stadium with our midfield it’s a bit like watching ants on ketamine
:lol: quality
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

OFT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:07 pm Fortunately when Moyes is watching the oppos it tends to be in 'normal' football stadiums :)
He can leave the binoculars at home :)
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

can just imagine being in the "analysis" corner of the portacabin, reaching for the free demo tape that the anaylsis company sent out as a promo a decade ago, only to find out sully taped over it when some big tit bird was sunbathing in view of the training ground CCTV.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

On the stream I was watching yesterday I could hear Moyes on the touch line shouting 'instructions' etc. to the players.(did he have a megaphone? :) )

The bloke may be old school but I believe he really wants it all to work. Even if his main motivation is to restore his own reputation, it's my humble opinion that he 'gets it' in a way Pellegrini didn't.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

OFT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:19 pm On the stream I was watching yesterday I could hear Moyes on the touch line shouting 'instructions' etc. to the players.(did he have a megaphone? :) )

The bloke may be old school but I believe he really wants it all to work. Even if his main motivation is to restore his own reputation, it's my humble opinion that he 'gets it' in a way Pellegrini didn't.
I make you right there OFT
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

OFT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:19 pm On the stream I was watching yesterday I could hear Moyes on the touch line shouting 'instructions' etc. to the players.(did he have a megaphone? :) )

You could hear him v Gillingham and Sheffield United as well. I've said this elsewhere but considering that Pellergrini was an attack minded manager the lack of confidence our attack minded players have been left with is staggering.

He's also trying to implement a high press. He really is desperate to prove he's not past it and able to learn new tricks.
Beavis Danzig wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:17 pm can just imagine being in the "analysis" corner of the portacabin, reaching for the free demo tape that the anaylsis company sent out as a promo a decade ago, only to find out sully taped over it when some big tit bird was sunbathing in view of the training ground CCTV.
KB earning her bonus?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

To me, we have one point less than Jane would have bargained for, before the sequence of league matches started - i.e. he probably expected a display with a modicum of commitment to warrant a point at Bramall Lane.

The test is ahead, in the next 8 games. Only Brighton and Southampton could be even passingly described as a similar level as us, in terms of squad cohesion, tactical nous etc.

To a fair degree, our survival hopes are to be pinned on our getting a point here and there against Leicester, Man City, LFC, Arsenal and Wolves. I don't think that's beyond us, even when you factor in the injuries and lack of confidence, but, by the same token, it will require something unexpected for the coach. There is something a bit 'flat-track' about him.

The single thing that none of us can fault him for is his obvious will to get this right. Sure, it's his rep on the line, as much as our status, but at least we won't have pictures of him looking like a zombie, in the dugout, as Dean Windass or his modern day equivalent completes a hat-trick against us.
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

A stat on the radio the other week mentioned Moyes overall record v the "big teams"

It was pretty damning.

Yes, mate. Not so good, is it?
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:59 pm Yes, mate. Not so good, is it?
Also read that Sam and Pulis have a better win % in those games. :shock:

Whoops!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

szola wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:00 pm You can do much, much better, bubbles....
That's why he got sacked, mate...BOOM!BOOM! :lol:

Seriously though, I understand what you are saying but how grounded it is seems problematic to me.

It's undeniably noble and grand sounding but this Pellegrini/Zola style ethos just doesn't seem to survive long when it comes into contact with our reality. We just seem to end up with a bunch of players who don't seem overly suited to the PL when we follow this path. In Zola's case, many (all ?)were cheap and useless; in Pellegrini's case lots have been old, unfit or useless .

Slaven is an exception - he probably signed the two best players we've had this decade in Payet and Arnie - but even at his best in 15/16 he was perfectly happy having crosses slung into the box for Antonio and Carroll, or spending the middle third of the season grinding out really tight results with 2 DMs ahead of his back 4. The football wasn't of the tippy-tappy variety championed by Pellegrini or Zola.

Allardyce's team with Song at the base, Downing at the tip and Sakho and Valencia up top played some cracking stuff for a while as well.

What you advocate feels like trying to put the icing on a cake that hasn't been baked when it's tried with us.

Good players tend to go to good teams - an accolade we rarely receive.

No West Ham manager should ever preside over signings like Mido, Benni McCarthy, Roberto, Carlos Sanchez etc though. There has to be a core philosophy about recruitment that avoids dirt cheap, perma-crocked and doddery.

If we look at our best period under these owners - 2014 to 2016 - that's precisely what happened.

No 18 year old punts, no 32 year old fillers - the players were all in the right age bracket and came fit. And we didn't play tika-taka. We played a blended and varied game.

The floodgates from Help the Aged have re-opened in recent times. That's a big reason why we have gone backwards - the owners have reverted to their pre-2014 MO, and managers have played along.
KM1991

Post by KM1991 »

David Moyes...the tactical dinosaur stuck in the 1980s strikes once again! What a performance!

28% possession, no real efforts on targets, hoof ball up to an isolated Haller all half. David Moyes is awful, I genuinely think there isn’t a manager in this league that sets up his team to play more anti-football, except maybe for Sean Dyche. We are in 2020 and this is how we are playing...so, so depressing
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Most likely get a slagging on here for this but knowing Moyes was the alternative I’d have rather rode it out with Pellegrini

I didn’t want him to go and I genuinely think he picks up more points than Moyes in our remaining fixtures

Should have ridden the wave and then moved on at the end of the season if that’s what they had their heart set on. Moyes has to be the most laughable attempt at trying to play safe in a long long time the game passed him by 5 years ago he’s way past it
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Tonight was Moyes 50th game away to a top 4 Premiership side. He's recorded one win in that time.

He is not a manager I'd fancy taking us back up when we drop.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

It's still a no from me, I'm afraid...