The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think Berg and Rice would be good in a 4-2-3-1. I'm not so sure about accomodating them both when we're playing 3 at the back. I think we'd be too defensive.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm I think Berg and Rice would be good in a 4-2-3-1. I'm not so sure about accomodating them both when we're playing 3 at the back. I think we'd be too defensive.
Could always put Rice back in defence.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

God bless your Crouchy; but that’s not a great argument. He’s crap, ok? The last two managers have pretty much shown that, even already, let alone his poor choice and pace of pass and lack of physical abilities for the premier league.

Regardless, the argument is being better than him. Cullen probably would have been, and cheaper, domestic and also more enthusiastically greeted by fans.

The man isn’t being used so he’s finding multiple ways to be useless.

He’s not being scapegoated, but he desperately needs to be replaced. He’s not to blame, but he’s a problem. Or, the problem is that we’re short that he’s allowed to be a problem. Wilshere too.
foronceandfornals

Post by foronceandfornals »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm I think Berg and Rice would be good in a 4-2-3-1. I'm not so sure about accomodating them both when we're playing 3 at the back. I think we'd be too defensive.
My thinking is to keep it 4 at the back and try and play it through the middle as/when we can with the front three able to roam.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a reason I'm not a football manager though. Just a thought!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:51 pm Stats, schmats.

All you have to do is watch in real time the goals we conceded against Leicester. The second especially lays bare how he is completely stealing a living, even as a tiny bit part of a wider malaise.

He is literally looking in the other direction, as the Leicester player shoots for goal.

He is the worst player we have signed since Roger Johnson, and that's a very crowded field of potential.
I appreciate your mind is made up on this, but the goals v Leicester are really not indicative at all. I watched that game back and he didnt play any worse than any one else. He did alright in terms of what he was supposed to do. Leicester didn't create too many chances and there was not many occasions when the passed straight through us. remember he had played about 30 minutes of football in three months up to that point

He had nothing to do with the first goal, Fredericks lost his man and a CF scored from a yard out

And as i said on the match thread, Sanchez got far too much blame for the winning goal. Diop and Balbuena both more to blame

What on earth was happening elsewhwre if he is being left one on one in the RB position with Demarai Gray? it was a 4 on 3 break
Where is Fredericks or the rest of the midfield? What on earth was Diop doing with Perez in the centre of the field

It is very difficult to back pedal to keep an eye on the passer whilst the player you are marking is running forward into all that space. The right thing to do in that situation is try and push up at the right time and leave the attacker offside. You can see sanchez is considering that but Balbuena keeps dropping deeper and deeper into no man's land.
boleyn24

Post by boleyn24 »

Having heard Moyes press conference at lunchtime pretty much saying that its possible we wont be signing anybody and with the growing Injury list we now have, why did we send the likes of Holland & Coventry out on loan?
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Well, if no one comes in that’s better than we have, Moyes really will be a contender for manager of the year if he secures our safety. His first choice coach blocked, another not wanting to join, no investment. It’s like seeing someone trying to stay afloat with his arms tied together.

4 wins and 4-5 draws probably needed. That won’t be easy with this shambles of a squad.
Crouchend_Hammer

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pm God bless your Crouchy; but that’s not a great argument. He’s crap, ok? The last two managers have pretty much shown that, even already, let alone his poor choice and pace of pass and lack of physical abilities for the premier league.

Regardless, the argument is being better than him. Cullen probably would have been, and cheaper, domestic and also more enthusiastically greeted by fans.

The man isn’t being used so he’s finding multiple ways to be useless.

He’s not being scapegoated, but he desperately needs to be replaced. He’s not to blame, but he’s a problem. Or, the problem is that we’re short that he’s allowed to be a problem. Wilshere too.
I agree with some of that last sentence
He is a problem if he isn't going to be played
My point being is that i think we would be better off [not by much, but a little bit higher up the table] if he had been given the opportunity to play more regularly

However, to say he isn't scapegoated is not true. he even got some abuse after the southampton game when he came on, did his job and helped us keep a 1-0 lead

I am almost certain if he hadn't made that mistake vs Wolves and we had drawn 0-0 he wouldn't get anywhere near as much grief as he does
Crouchend_Hammer

Westbourne Bill wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:33 pm Well, if no one comes in that’s better than we have, Moyes really will be a contender for manager of the year if he secures our safety. His first choice coach blocked, another not wanting to join, no investment. It’s like seeing someone trying to stay afloat with his arms tied together.

4 wins and 4-5 draws probably needed. That won’t be easy with this shambles of a squad.
Who ya gonna call?

Carlos Sanchez! :tune:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

boleyn24 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:28 pm Having heard Moyes press conference at lunchtime pretty much saying that its possible we wont be signing anybody and with the growing Injury list we now have, why did we send the likes of Holland & Coventry out on loan?
Don't know, but I never expected us to sign anybody, (recalling Randolph, because effectively, that is all he is) does not constitute a signing, so I for one. have not ended up disappointed. When we go down, this site is going to be a very angry place, with insults and ire flying about in his direction - and he will deserve everything he gets
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 pm Don't know, but I never expected us to sign anybody, (recalling Randolph, because effectively, that is all he is) does not constitute a signing, so I for one. have not ended up disappointed. When we go down, this site is going to be a very angry place, with insults and ire flying about in Sullivan's direction - and he will deserve everything he gets
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Are we getting ready for Sully's supermarket sweep on deadline day?

Only for him to realise at the checkout that he's forgotten his wallet...
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Having read Moyses presser twice I don’t see any where he says no one is going to be signed
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm My point being is that i think we would be better off [not by much, but a little bit higher up the table] if he had been given the opportunity to play more regularly
You have to admit that if Carlos Sanchez was genuinely required to regularly start games for us then we'd be in a desperate situation?

He's a backup. A deep backup at that. If he's unable to be impactful for us in that role then he's essentially useless right? Needing a run of games isn't really helpful when your job is to cover people who aren't fit.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm I appreciate your mind is made up on this, but the goals v Leicester are really not indicative at all.
None of that explains why he is looking the other way as the ball is struck, or why he has managed to apparently move at something approaching 50% of the pace of the player who plays around him as if he isn't even there.

He is a complete liability. See also the passage of play just before that other hero in C&B, Wilshere, scores at Newport. Sanchez receives the ball and looks at and passes it as if its fashioned from molten lava and he has been teleported onto the pitch from a different plane of consciousness.

A living is being stolen before our very eyes.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

It wasn’t just the goals we conceded against Leicester. His general play caused panic in the team akin to seeing Roberto in goal. Big fan of your posts Crouchy - but Sanchez is appalling.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

So now we do not need help at CM because we have Sanchez?

Sorry he is limited. Is he singularly the reason we lost games - no but neither was Roberto usually in games where he made mistakes he also pulled off several top saves. With Sanchez however the overall team performance dips. He really is a “destructive” player only, he cannot “create”.

In essence he could cover Rice’s role but is not as good at it but never Noble and playing him does not free up Rice to “play the Noble role” as Rice has still not developed enough of that skill set. I am not saying it will not come but that Rice remains very much a work in progress especially when it comes to consistently being the player responsible moving the team forward during a game.

Ideally I agree we would upgrade on Noble (let’s face it that was what a fit Wilshere was meant to do) but currently the risk is that we have zero cover for him and finding either the upgrade of the cover needs to be achieved before month end or the risk is huge.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

hammer1975 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:10 pm It wasn’t just the goals we conceded against Leicester. His general play caused panic in the team akin to seeing Roberto in goal. Big fan of your posts Crouchy - but Sanchez is appalling.
I still think that Sanchez has been bodysnatched.
Replaced by someone that's never played football before.
It can be the only explanation.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

peter49uk wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:46 pm Having read Moyses presser twice I don’t see any where he says no one is going to be signed
"We’ve been linked with a few so to identify one player would be wrong. We will try to add one player, maybe two at a push but there could be a chance we could not get anybody"

That's what he said.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

sanchez is the footballing version of the main character from Watership Down , frozen and trapped in the headlights of an oncoming car , I wanted to give him a chance but like Roberto , he's shot and shouldnt even be near the first team imo