Which is hardest

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

brothernero
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Which is hardest

Post by brothernero »

This may have been asked on here before.

What in your opinion is the hardest to achieve, the most impressive.

Snooker, a 147
Darts, a 9 darter
10 Pin Bowling, a maximum score of 300
Last edited by brothernero on Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: Which is hardest

Post by Rocketron »

It must be Cricket as you are dependant on the bowler.
All the others are down to you on your own.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Rocketron wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:35 pm It must be Cricket as you are dependant on the bowler.
All the others are down to you on your own.
I just edited out the cricket one funny enough for that very reason. :shock:
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I'd say a 147.

Seems to be more to get right and not just putting balls but placement of the white.

Would have thought 300 in bowling is most common from what I've watched on Sky.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Although unlikely, I think I could get a 9 darter. I have no talent for it at all but I can conceive of me getting in the zone, getting lucky, and it happening.

Similarly with the 300 in bowling. Hugely unlikely, but not an achievement beyond a conceivable level of skill.

A 147 in snooker. No chance. Not even close to it. Could practice for hours every day for the rest of my life and still be nowhere near it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

147 in snooker.

That's 15 reds in a row, each followed by the black (and only the black) every time, and then cleaning up the colours. Without your opponent nicking a single point first.

A 9 darter in darts is impressive, but the fast paced nature of darts means you're getting more opportunities, and as the name suggests, it's only 9 times in a row.

Bowling doesn't even count as a sport.

What was the cricket question? 36 off of an over?
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

147 is the hardest by a long long way
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Agree 147 . You have to complete 36 perfect shots, hold your nerves and more often than not will have at least 2 or 3 pretty tricky shots. Of Course you have to hold the white board in position throughout the break.

Added to the fact that I have been a Snooker fan since I was a about 6 and I have still yet to see anyone complete a 147 Maximum Break in LIVE play is getting right on my tits.

Seen many of them on highlights & Replays, just never seen one Live. It's not like I don't watch a small amount of Snooker either.

Headbanger
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

All achievable with varying amounts of practice. But 147 would take the most practice, therefore the hardest.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

It's hard to say . The odds of getting a single event 9 darter (environmental conditions aside) are pretty much static, yet it doesn't happen very often , it was and remains a pretty rare occurrence.

Whilst undoubtedly incredibly hard , if the reds split a certain way in snooker ie room between the balls and off the cushions largely, black not blocked to bottom pockets then pretty much any player in the world's top couple of hundred has a fair chance of a 147.

To my mind Ronnie O'Sullivan devalued the feat by knocking on in in just over 5 minutes , the utterly mad b*stard. I won't live to see that beaten and I'm not sure the human race will either

Its why they don't pay much for it any more (that and less people watching than the 80s heyday) , too easy for the modern player.

Instead Ali Carter is sponsored by a Turkish Dentist FFS 😃

That said, the 9 darter has been devalued as well with the number now recorded. I'm sadly old enough to remember Paul Lim banging 1 in and wondering how that was possible.

It may be fair then to suggest that in both sports , the revered players of yesteryear were just **** and making a meal of these things.

Apologies, I'm on the modafinil today and it makes me hyper verbose sometimes, hence the rambling b*llocks above . I could go longer if it helps?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

None are as hard as West Ham winning 3 ****ing games in a row.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

I'll throw another one in there as the majority seems to agree the 147 is the hardest...

147 or a hole in one?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Row X wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 am I'll throw another one in there as the majority seems to agree the 147 is the hardest...

147 or a hole in one?
A hole in one is way more dependent on luck , once of course you are proficient enough at golf to go from tee to green .
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Depends on the hole really doesn't it.

Wildly different levels of skill required dependent on a huge range of factors including weather, distance, obstacles.

Factors don't change with the original 3 achievements. The conditions are always the same. Different with Golf. Comparison doesn't quite hold up.

I would fancy getting a hole in 1 over a 147 though.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I know amateur golfers who have got a hole in one. As pointed out above, once you're able to drive it far enough to go from tee to green on a par 3, you've got a chance at a hole in one by luck.

I don't know any amateur snooker players who have achieved a 147 break.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

sendô wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am I know amateur golfers who have got a hole in one. As pointed out above, once you're able to drive it far enough to go from tee to green on a par 3, you've got a chance at a hole in one by luck.

I don't know any amateur snooker players who have achieved a 147 break.
Or any amateur darts players who’ve scored a 9 darter.

Jim Bowen was often keen to talk up ‘county level’ players on Bullseye but largely they were all ****ing **** and could barely string two twenties together on the show, let alone the number of treble twenties required to even get a chance at an outshot.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 am

Factors don't change with the original 3 achievements.
Don’t they?

I appreciate that is the case for the 9 darter as the conditions will always be the same regardless of what my opponent does but the 147?

If my opponent breaks and leaves every red ball near a pocket and an unimpeded black (at least to start with) or every other scenario on a sliding scale from hardest to easiest to complete a 147, are you saying it doesn’t matter which it is? It’s just as hard?

Maybe I’m just not reading what you posted the right way.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

I've played all three, but sadly haven't hit any of them. I'd say definitely the 147.

Darts - The board and the oche never move so it really is a case of your aim over a set length.

10 Pin bowling - Pretty much as darts. Pins set in the same place over a set length with the bonus of being guided by two sets of arrows.

Snooker - Although the table size never alters (assuming we're talking a standard 12'x6' table), the balls will never be in the same place twice once you break off. Therefore there's never just one way of achieving the maximum.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Also re a 147 there is always a chance of getting a kick.

PS Must remember that there is actually a chance in Snooker of a 155, should you be left with a freeball. I think Jimmy White had a 155 in an exhibition or practice match.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

brothernero wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm Also re a 147 there is always a chance of getting a kick.

PS Must remember that there is actually a chance in Snooker of a 155, should you be left with a freeball. I think Jimmy White had a 155 in an exhibition or practice match.
Jimmy’s problem isn’t getting a 147, it’s making sure that his hair doesn’t look like that found on a coconut