Leicester City 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Albie Beck »

Kenny wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:20 am I look at West Ham, and there’s 3 problems, Your choice of managers have been underwhelming, turnover of players and the new ground where it could be years before you accept it.

There doesn’t really seem to be a plan in place and going back to Moyes is probably not the answer.
Could you send Sullivan a quick email please mate? Every bit helps...
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Got a spare 20 million, Kenny?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Kenny wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:20 am Having the right manager/scouting team is key, Puel for us even though the football was predictable sideways rubbish, he did change us from being a direct counter attacking team into a more possession based side and the good young signings have definitely helped

All Brendan has done is change it where we move the ball quicker in dangerous areas.

I look at West Ham, and there’s 3 problems, Your choice of managers have been underwhelming, turnover of players and the new ground where it could be years before you accept it.

There doesn’t really seem to be a plan in place and going back to Moyes is probably not the answer.

Must be so frustrating for a team with a big fan base
You can say that again, but you have wonderful owners with the heart and fabric of your club at the very core, yet ours have not the slightest knowledge of football, it is all about money and nothing else. I don't share your comment regarding our turnover of players, on the contrary, I think we keep far too many of them for far too long and part of that is due to the ridiculously lengthy contracts in place for bog average players. You are right, we have no forward planning, nor any strategy in place at all and that is not going to change any time soon.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Kenny wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:20 am I look at West Ham, and there’s 3 problems, Your choice of managers have been underwhelming, turnover of players and the new ground where it could be years before you accept it.
One problem bigger than all those 3 Kenny, the owners, Gold & Sullivan.
As the ground is now, many will NEVER accept it.
We're not being ungrateful but how can we ever be happy with:
Most people now being further away from the pitch than at Upton Park.
It being virtually impossible to recreate any kind of atmosphere that we had at UP.
Opposing players no longer being sometimes a bit daunted by playing away at WH.
No ability to change anything worthwhile, at the OS.
WE feel that we have lost our club. The only way that we could get it back is either by a total demolition & rebuild OR a new stadium elsewhere, built for watching football & not athletics.

Moyes has been brought back primarily, to keep us up. Or to get us promoted next season, if we go down.

Must be so frustrating for a team with a big fan base
Frustrating hasn't been the word mate, heartbreaking is much, much closer to it.
Hope you have a great season, after Wednesday night!
Pentonville
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Pentonville »

I have always been impressed with the Leicester supporters and their club, but following the horrific helicopter crash which occurred just after our game last year (I was at the match) , I have to say that the response of seemingly everyone involved with Leicester City football club has been brilliant. They are an example to us all about how supporters and owners can pull in the same direction. I going on wednesday and obviously hope for a win for us, but as long as the atmosphere is good, and it will be, thats enough for me.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Having lived in Leicester as a student for 4 years (under and post grad, many years ago now) I watched a fair few games at their gaff and know a number of supporters and many people who post flying pig season claimed to have always been Leicester they had just never mentioned it before...

First thing their ground is not the Filbert street of old but for an identikit modern stadium it's probably one of the best executed for my money.

I always rather got on with their support, they were realistic about their size and the capabilities of their team, they like us always thought of a decent cup run as a result of a season. Something changed in them that title winning season though. They'd had decent but not ludicrous investment and they had a lot of luck with Huth in particular being a penalty waiting to happen and Vardy coming into spectacular form (aided by his willingness to go down like a leaf in the breeze) but their season was summed up by Vardys reaction to being sent off for a 100% dive against us for me - petulant, expectant and entitled to every decision. I spoke to some who maintain to this day that he should have had a pen that day. Since then they've been up and down a bit with the onfield - if they weren't expected to win the league they definitely were never going to defend it. Losing Mahrez and Kante hurt them badly and the champions league was just too many games for them. They are having another really good season now though, again on the back of a number of teams underperforming - Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham - and they might scrape it into the champions and alsorans league if that lot don't pull their socks up.

Could it be envy? Could it be that their supporters weren't realistic after a fluke season(had they won say the FA cup they probably wouldn't have been what they are now)? Could it be that I just really hate Vardy, Rodgers and several of the other people in and around the club? Could it be all of the above and more? But I just can't give them the benefit of the doubt or have the same warm appreciation of them as a club or fanbase as I used to.

I reckon they'll f*** us though. We won't be able to cope with their pace, we won't be able to deal with their Hussle in the middle of the park and we won't be allowed to feed our front men the way Everton let us in the first half and got only a single goal. This lot are **** to play against when they get one up and I think we could go down by 3.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I thought we had an outside chance of getting something from this but having just heard the injury update from moyes (anderson out for 4 weeks, no antonio and yarmo 3 weeks away) I can't see anything other than a loss. We cant even counter attack... thats where we are as a club. Looking very bleek and having no Anderson for a month might be the first nail in the coffin for us. We are a Rice or Haller injury away from arguably certain relegation and we likely won't get anyone in soon. Its negligence beyond words.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 pm I thought we had an outside chance of getting something from this but having just heard the injury update from moyes (anderson out for 4 weeks, no antonio and yarmo 3 weeks away) I can't see anything other than a loss. We cant even counter attack... thats where we are as a club. Looking very bleak and having no Anderson for a month might be the first nail in the coffin for us. We are a Rice or Haller injury away from arguably certain relegation and we likely won't get anyone in soon. Its negligence beyond words.
Thank god, Sully didn't need to get any new players in, this month..
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Not really looking forward to this but with a bit of grit (and who knows, maybe a bit of luck with VAR going in our favor for once?) I don't think a point would be beyond the realms of possibility...

COYI!!

:crest:
SiO
Has liked: 559 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by SiO »

Hammerman, your posts are always so so negative. I wonder if you could at least provide the positives of other players rather than going over the same digs again and again. Thank you and no offence meant, just some constructive (hopefully) pointers! I get the irony of this post by the way!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

They won't hold back tonight; Leic will come at us from the start, because they will work on the assumption that we have no Plan B and that we will have our confidence knocked if we concede early.

With this in mind, I am less worried than I would have been if Pellegrini, the football coach equivalent of King Canute, were still at the helm. We need to be set up like were defending the Alamo; have outlets in Fornals and Haller and dig in for a point and clean sheet.

Both together are essential, given the position we are now in, officially known as hovering over the trapdoor!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

The majority of the results last night went against us, tonight & next game sees us drop into the bottom 3 for me, long fight ahead of us, coupled with injuries to the two in the team that have some pace it's looking quite gloomy innit.

Leicester on a small run of bad form, that may help us if we keep it tight to half time. I can't see us scoring in open play at the moment, freekick/corner we nab one then you never know, but I doubt it, 2 or 3 nil loss tonight.

I am here all day if you want cheering up, drop me a PM and I will build you up with my positivity :D
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

I've embraced the thought of relegation, however I do believe that we will win tonight.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

We won't get anything out of this game. Primarily because the players we have (for the most) have no bottle, character, or fight about them. I expect a lazy 0-2, 0-3 surrender. Headbanger
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3087 likes

Post by MB »

They are in a blip of form but cannot see them not getting a goal or two against us and struggling to see where our goals are coming from.

Draw would be a very good result
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

so no Anderson or Antonio for this one means we have a choice between lanzini or ajeti to partner haller up top.
ajeti did more in the 8 mins on Saturday than lanzini did all game, apart from the head butt!

Randolph
zabaleta diop ogbonna cresswell
Snodgrass noble rice fornals
haller ajeti

subs martin Balbuena masuaka cardosa lanzini plus 2 U23

cant see us matching them for speed fight desire apart from snoddy rice and ogbonna fornals zaba the rest aren't bothered !

3-0 defeat and a worringing time ahead.
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

I don't expect anything out of this game but would be nice to see a better performance. With that in mind I would like to see :-
Ngakia come in for Zab to get a run out against some proper opposition.
Ajeti who looked bang up for it in his (way too short) cameo appearance against Everton to start up front with Haller.
Fornals in the hole as he is the only one of our midfield with the fitness and tenacity we will need against Leicester.
I've gone with Snoddy but maybe start Massuaku if fit and save Snodders to come in for Noble when he runs out of steam....

------------Randolph---------------
---Diop --- Oggy --- Cresswell---
Ngakia - Rice - Noble - Snoddy--
------------- Fornals ---------------
---------Ajeti ------ Haller--------
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1068 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I reckon the team will be fairly identical to that played at the weekend, not because it was a great result but because we have f*** all in the cupboard.

Noble and Snods will I guarantee you play poorly because they are knackered and in the last 30 minutes we will run out of steam and concede a couple.

I can see nothing other than a 3 - 0 defeat tonight. We have no pace in the team, nothing on the bench to change the game.

If I were Moyes I'd be tempted to draft a couple of the U23's into the side tonight because energy is key and we have very little in the tank. Our over 30's just can not play 2 games a week two weeks running.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Think he will go 5-4-1 and try to finish what he started with 0-0. But the tippy tappy, you to me me to you stuff will start and then an attempted back pass at some stage will be intercepted resulting a goal. Heads will drop and that will be that. Sorry for being so negative this early but that's how its got me and many others here going by what they post. In all the years I have followed WHU its the most frustrated I have felt. Its an all round poo situation.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

peter49uk wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:32 am the tippy tappy, you to me me to you stuff will start and then an attempted back pass at some stage will be intercepted resulting a goal.
Yeah noticed this at Brammall La. last week. The passing through midfield looked oh so good but almost always came to nothing, then when they came out for the second they'd been instructed to tread on our toes every time we got a ball and for 15 minutes or so it worked against us. 2 up front and Snodders' crosses really are our only hope.