The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

alski
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by alski »

Are they blind?

After the Burnley game 2018 we were promised change. The high profile protests and subsequent pitch invasions that caused Sullivan and Gold to vacate their seats in front of the world's media seemed to have opened their eyes to the feelings of the club's true supporters. We were told a number of 'emergency meetings' followed with the aim of taking decisive and positive action - But how did that play out?

Appointing a once highly-regarded manager who was in the twilight of his career, picking up a final payday in China. Whilst the ambition is to be applauded, surely some due diligence wouldn't have gone a miss.

Manuel Pelligrini is clearly a decent man and has pedigree, but was he really the right man for the job? Taking charge of a side that needed first-rate coaching, tactical nous, man-management and a hands on approach.

Most of the clubs around our level are appointing vibrant mangers from the UK or abroad with vision and passion. There's clearly a plan at work a strategy to build for the future. Something that seems to be sorely lacking at West ham United

The 'Razzle Dazzle' element doesn't work. We've all seen through it.
Big flashy stadium. Premier League winning manager. Record signings.

None of these have worked. The stadium isn't a football stadium. It's an embarrassment.

The strategy at play seems to be doing the bare minimum to survive. Nothing more. This isn't how a club supposedly with the 18th highest turnover in world football should be run.

We need.

A long term strategy. Planning and infrastructure in place to build a team that isn't reliant on on or two players and hoping for the best should they get injured. No more journey men footballers or managers, picking up a final pay day. Scouting the best youngsters in the lower leagues and world football. Having a football philosophy that runs through out the club. Not just slogans that glorify a fading academy system.

State of the art training facilities for the first team and beyond. Not a few nicely decorated portacabins filled with Ikea furniture and Homebase plant pots.

An International scouting network that does exactly that. Scouts players. Instead of relying on relationships with a handful of agents and their clients.

We are West Ham United. We should be a club players and mangers want to be a part of. Not a joke club that's now as famous for its penny pinching and gossip columnists in the Sun newspaper as it is for Trevor Brooking, Billy Bonds and Bobby Moore.

We're in serious relegation trouble with demotion to the Championship a very real possibility. Our next ten fixtures see us face Leicester City, Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and the runaway leaders Liverpool twice. A horrendously tough run of games that would test any team in the league even those with decent squads and an abundance of talent in the first eleven. We have neither. It's a major concern. We are a team devoid of quality and depth.

Surely it's obvious to the board and the manager that with such a paper thin squad we are only a few injuries away from a total disaster. If Declan Rice, Angelo Ogbonna or Sebastien Haller pick up injuries there simply isn't anyone of their quality to replace them. We all saw what happened when Fabianski was out for a period of time. If that were to happen with our one and only athletic midfielder we are truly screwed.

If there is no serious investment or planning in the next few days of the window, the team could find itself marooned in the relegation places and devoid of all confidence come the end of February when it will be too late to do anything about it. And once a team loses confidence there's only one way they're heading. Are the board ready for that. Are they ready for the mass exodus of players that will follow? Are they ready for attendances to plummet? Are they ready for corporate spend to nosedive?

If they were true supporters of this great club and not just businessmen out to make a buck, then they surely would invest in this squad now before it is too late. They'd show the supporters that they do actually care. It's time to bring in the three or four players this team desperately needs.

Because if the signings fail to materialise and the team finds itself on the end of a few hidings over the coming months because of it, what happened during the burnley game will be repeated ten fold. It's going to get ugly.

Time to put up or get out!!!
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

e17 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm People acting shocked that Moyes is going along with the “working day and night/we might sign no one” cobblers

The bloke’s already shown he’s happy for G&S to go in dry for sovs by crawling back after they’d told him to **** off!
I think Moyes is still in a bit of disbelief that a premier league team has appointed him as manager, probably can't believe his luck. Done well at Everton 20 years ago, failed everywhere else since.
He's happy for 1 or 2 transfers on the cheap, of course he is, he does as he's told, Sullivan has got back a 'yes' man.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

jhammers wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 am I think Moyes is still in a bit of disbelief that a premier league team has appointed him as manager, probably can't believe his luck. Done well at Everton 20 years ago, failed everywhere else since.
He's happy for 1 or 2 transfers on the cheap, of course he is, he does as he's told, Sullivan has got back a 'yes' man.
20 years ago?

He failed at us last time did he? He didn't to a lot of us...

I take it Moyes bashing and board bashing are now blending into one with a heavy dose of sensationalism thrown in for good measure?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:49 am I know you have huge admiration for Moyes, IB, and I actually admire that. But you have to realise, Moyes isn't in charge. He's been given the manager job because he is willing to be a puppet. He WAS in charge at Everton where he had built up a reputation and had such a success rate that he was untouchable. Since then he's been below average at Man Utd, poor at Sociedad and woeful at Sunderland. His credit has run out and he was brought in because he will do what he's told.

We could have gone all in on Ancelotti, or Benitez, or looked for a hungry young manager, but every single one of them would have told the board that we are short at full-back, short in midfield and the overall squad is paper thin. Moyes seemingly is happy to bend over, pull up his nightdress and let the owners do whatever they like.

However good Moyes might be in the transfer market is irrelevant. It isn't his team, it isn't our team, it isn't even a West Ham team. This is Gold and Sullivan's team and Moyes is just a lanky puppet who will tell us how classy they are, how generous they are and how this is the best squad he's ever worked with...and then he'll say thank you to them when they eventually pull his nightie back down when they've finished.
100%
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

According to Ex, we're also interested in Ronaldo Vieira of Sampdoria, and Nahitan Nandez of Cagliari. Both under 25 and fit the description of energetic box to box midfielder.

Unfortunately they both cost money
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Also linked with Matty Cash, right back at Nottm Forest this morning.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The trouble is we are linked with loads but never get them if they are decent and wanted by others. I guess sully is thinking we will lose the next 3 league games so no need to rush. we might also be dummped out of the cup on Saturday.

we have had plenty of chances over the last few seasons to sign players for reasonable fees such as traore dedonker Abrahams all come and gone with the wind.

If he thinks joe allen is the answer then we are going down .

by the time we play brighton we will be bottom 3.

brighton game is another must win game just to keep up ! Then we have man city away and Liverpool away !

we will be 2nd bottom very soon !
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 214 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

Strong rumours doing the rounds on twitter that Hernández has joined LA Galaxy for nearly double what we sold him to Sevilla for a few months ago.

Never change West Ham.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Scattergun - same as it's ever been - linked with every ****er out there.
I'm getting deja vu over Sullivan interviews - they are exactly the same every time we hit a shitstorm, just the date and names change Allardyce,Bilic,Moyes,Pellegrini,Moyes - "working night and day,I feel I haven't done well enough, looking to upgrade scouting set up, looking for a new chief scout,upgrading training facilities, bad luck with injuries,blah,blah,blame everyone but myself,blah,blah,blah
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Sully reminds me of those despotic Roman Emporers and if he were one, he wouldn't have been Verspasian, architect of the Gladiatorial games, he was more the type who would prefer to go to a football match than sit around at home. No, Sully would've been Nero, fiddled, while Rome burned
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:08 am According to Ex, we're also interested in Ronaldo Vieira of Sampdoria, and Nahitan Nandez of Cagliari. Both under 25 and fit the description of energetic box to box midfielder.

Unfortunately they both cost money
Well, that rules them out then, doesn't it ?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:36 am Well, that rules them out then, doesn't it ?
Probably... unless they're cheaply priced ie cheaper than Joe Allen
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 am 20 years ago?

He failed at us last time did he? He didn't to a lot of us...

I take it Moyes bashing and board bashing are now blending into one with a heavy dose of sensationalism thrown in for good measure?
He had like a 25% win rate with us and the football was dire
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Macca1973 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:15 am Also linked with Matty Cash, right back at Nottm Forest this morning.
Matty Cash ? Sully will like that name
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I wanted Pellegrini sacked a while before he was. I didn't want Moyes to replace him. Regardless, if the board don't spend money now then the blame for a terrible season will lie firmly at their door.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

ashbanki wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:27 am Scattergun - same as it's ever been - linked with every ****er out there.
I'm getting deja vu over Sullivan interviews - they are exactly the same every time we hit a shitstorm, just the date and names change Allardyce,Bilic,Moyes,Pellegrini,Moyes - "working night and day,I feel I haven't done well enough, looking to upgrade scouting set up, looking for a new chief scout,upgrading training facilities, bad luck with injuries,blah,blah,blame everyone but myself,blah,blah,blah
I am seriously worried for this season watching other teams down there fighting and getting points. In previous seasons under Bilic and Moyes there were 2 teams that floated adrift in that relegation zone allowing us to scrap out of it. Loooking at the fixture list , we are in huge danger.
If we get relegated it would be a disaster financially . We picked up 122 million in tv money last year from Premier league. Wont get a fraction of that in Championship so we would rely on the owners spending and investing to get us up.
Why are they not spending NOW to bolster the first team? Huge game tonight, why havent we brought in a box to box mid player to play tonight?
What is the hold up? W a n K E R S
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

hammerman11 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:24 am we will be 2nd bottom very soon !
Already joint 2nd bottom, h...
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

jastons wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 am I wanted Pellegrini sacked a while before he was. I didn't want Moyes to replace him. Regardless, if the board don't spend money now then the blame for a terrible season will lie firmly at their door.
Its amazing. Villa brought in a striker on Loan. Another team down there brought in 2 players. What is the hold up? We are sand in a time glass right now.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Amazing that one of the so-called richest clubs in the country allegedly doesn't have any money to spend. Mind you, the treatment room staff must be earning a bomb these days. Queuing outside I heard the players are.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I'm guessing the 'hold up' is Sullivan hoping he doesn't need to spend any money. The problems with our squad are the same now as they were in the summer. They are the same under Moyes as they were under Pellegrini.