The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Het-Field »

I think what causes me to despair the most is that unlike 1997 or 2007 we don’t seem to be taking the problem seriously, and it seems to be a repeat of 2018, which demonstrates that no long lasting change and reform has happened. Sure, the season started poorly, and Pelly lost it towards the end, but returning to our protective manager from 2018, but with arguably a weaker squad (minus Chich, Arnie, Mario) and less options (minus Kouyate and Obiang). We are three weeks into the window, and with the exception of Randolph (which based on injury and quality, was an absolute must) we have not actually improved the squad. I let the rumours wash over my head as I just don’t see them as having much basis.

I still recall the final days of the 2018 January window when we sold Sakho and Ayew, and announced Hugill at midnight. It was truly despairing, but at least the squad had some depth. Now, our depth is Sanchez or Wilshere, the former not good enough, the latter not fit enough. We have one recognised striker, and as per the last few years we are still seeing the names Ogbonna (doing well), Snodgrass (also doing well) Noble, Cresswell, Zabaleta etc on the teamsheet. It just seems very time warp like.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

jastons wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am I'm guessing the 'hold up' is Sullivan hoping he doesn't need to spend any money. The problems with our squad are the same now as they were in the summer. They are the same under Moyes as they were under Pellegrini.
Hope has long gone. Sullivan needs to act soon because every game that ends is a game he could have done something about to have helped us get a result. We have Liverpool TWICE , Man City and Chelsea looming. Would it make sense to have brought in 2 decent players for the Everton and tonights game?
Depressed Hammer

Het-Field wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:59 am I think what causes me to despair the most is that unlike 1997 or 2007 we don’t seem to be taking the problem seriously, and it seems to be a repeat of 2018, which demonstrates that no long lasting change and reform has happened. Sure, the season started poorly, and Pelly lost it towards the end, but returning to our protective manager from 2018, but with arguably a weaker squad (minus Chich, Arnie, Mario) and less options (minus Kouyate and Obiang). We are three weeks into the window, and with the exception of Randolph (which based on injury and quality, was an absolute must) we have not actually improved the squad. I let the rumours wash over my head as I just don’t see them as having much basis.

I still recall the final days of the 2018 January window when we sold Sakho and Ayew, and announced Hugill at midnight. It was truly despairing, but at least the squad had some depth. Now, our depth is Sanchez or Wilshere, the former not good enough, the latter not fit enough. We have one recognised striker, and as per the last few years we are still seeing the names Ogbonna (doing well), Snodgrass (also doing well) Noble, Cresswell, Zabaleta etc on the teamsheet. It just seems very time warp like.
Bang on mate.. Obiang and Kouyate were huge players to help us scrap away from relegation. If we lose the midield battles then the offensive come deeper to help out and the game between them and the striker or strikers is to big.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

The big problem appears to be that Moyes,ideally, wants three players -Striker,CMF and a FB - We can only sign two players on loan and Moyes will have to sell to buy, because Sullivan is taking the piss,yet again!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

ashbanki wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 am The big problem appears to be that Moyes,ideally, wants three players -Striker,CMF and a FB - We can only sign two players on loan and Moyes will have to sell to buy, because Sullivan is taking the piss,yet again!
Nail on head

We all know what we players are needed, but Sully is doing his usual and that means dragging it out until the end of January and the usual lines we tried so hard but just failed to get it over the line it's very difficult you know blah blah blah.

I just read that we have sent scouts to check on Joe Allen.

If we were actually looking to get him in why on earth do we need to scout him, WE KNOW what he can do already he is not an unknown overseas player in some far off land. It's all a bluff Sully is gambling on us staying up by the skin of our teeth again.

It will be like this until they reach the date when they can sell up and walk off with what is probably the biggest scam since the great train robbery.
traxop

Post by traxop »

I despair at the way Moyes have been talking when it comes to transfers.

The casualness that we've approached this window is what really worries me. There's absolutely no sense of urgency. We are sleep-walking into relegation, and the tone set by the Manager and Board seems to suggest they think we're 'merely' just going through a bit of an injury blip - and if not for the injuries, we would 'definitely' be competing for top 8 - let alone the top half. That's how delusional they are right now.

It's fast becoming an emergency, and the Manager is talking to the media about how nice it would be if one or two were to come through the door - but if no more were to, then that's OK too. Frankly, this whole window has been disgusting.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Agreed. 22 days into the window and what have we done, bought back Randolph.

And if you look at the last 2 games, the margins were so fine, who knows what difference 1 or 2 half decent signings might have made.

Its just all so depressing - clearly the owners do not want to be relegated, its within their remit to do something about it and yet nothing.

I differ from many on here in that I don't want us to go down as I don't think it will be the panacea for our problems, that we will rebuild stronger or that it will make the owners sell up. It will be more of the same but in a lower league and losing the few decent players we have. And I think we will be down for a while.

But if we do go down, it is 100% on the owners. I won't blame Moyes as, has been said, he is just a Yes man who was desperate for a job.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Nzonzi seems to be gathering pace. Just read from a couple of news outlets that he’s chosen us over Sheff Utd.

For me, I don’t think it’d be a good signing. 31, fell out of favour at Gala, Roma don’t want him back. Apparently he’s looking for a ‘high profile’ club to play for to boost his Euro20 chances.

Surely Kessie would be the better option due to age and his ‘reported’ capabilities of high press and winning the ball in the centre of the park?
Depressed Hammer

Hammer1972 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 am Agreed. 22 days into the window and what have we done, bought back Randolph.

And if you look at the last 2 games, the margins were so fine, who knows what difference 1 or 2 half decent signings might have made.

Its just all so depressing - clearly the owners do not want to be relegated, its within their remit to do something about it and yet nothing.

I differ from many on here in that I don't want us to go down as I don't think it will be the panacea for our problems, that we will rebuild stronger or that it will make the owners sell up. It will be more of the same but in a lower league and losing the few decent players we have. And I think we will be down for a while.

But if we do go down, it is 100% on the owners. I won't blame Moyes as, has been said, he is just a Yes man who was desperate for a job.
The only thing i blame Moyes for or would blame is that fact that he keeps saying in the press " He is happy with the squad " Tell it as it is man!! We need a right back and a midifled player and a striker. Loans or buys either will do. Obviously we wont be getting them 3 at this late stage
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

steps wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:51 am Nzonzi seems to be gathering pace. Just read from a couple of news outlets that he’s chosen us over Sheff Utd.

For me, I don’t think it’d be a good signing. 31, fell out of favour at Gala, Roma don’t want him back. Apparently he’s looking for a ‘high profile’ club to play for to boost his Euro20 chances.

Surely Kessie would be the better option due to age and his ‘reported’ capabilities of high press and winning the ball in the centre of the park?
Of course he would we're in London. Why is all this happening this morning? Has Sully turned to the sports pages in this morning's newspapers and looked at the league table?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Depressed Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 am Tell it as it is man!!
He'll tell as he is told to tell it.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Don't worry about Nzonzi - Our very own Baroness' feminist credentials would not square with signing an alledged "wife beater" .
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

N’Zonzi is almost a pin-point copy of the style of player the board is interested in. French international, European experience, World Cup Winner, history in Italy, Spain and the UK. He’s a “sell” to the fans. Of course, if you can get a loan deal and he contributes to our survival “everyone’s a winner”, especially if you can send him back in May.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Het-Field wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:14 pm N’Zonzi is almost a pin-point copy of the style of player the board is interested in. French international, European experience, World Cup Winner, history in Italy, Spain and the UK. He’s a “sell” to the fans. Of course, if you can get a loan deal and he contributes to our survival “everyone’s a winner”, especially if you can send him back in May.
Exactly what I thought. It ticks all of his boxes.

Sullivan’s looked at it and thought - what deal would make most revenue or what would be better for the team in the long run.

Revenue, night and day.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i dont want us to go , because i believe it will be a very long road back , however i think we are nailed on to drop as the squad is paper thin in most places and p*** poor everywhere else , 1 player brought back because Boro want him off the wage bill , its a dereliction of duty on the boards part .

truly disgraceful
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Het-Field wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:14 pm N’Zonzi is almost a pin-point copy of the style of player the board is interested in.
And a pin point blueprint for the type of player we shouldn't be looking to sign.

Ageing, best days gone, arrogant and off field issues, high wages, consecutive years of failure at multiple clubs, never actually all that great at his peak anyway.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:26 pm
Ageing, best days gone, arrogant and off field issues, high wages, consecutive years of failure at multiple clubs, never actually all that great at his peak anyway.
Oi! He's one of my favourite posters on here!
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:26 pm And a pin point blueprint for the type of player we shouldn't be looking to sign.

He was pretty decent at one point and we do like a maverick. I say get him, Kessie and Giroud in so we can hustle and muscle our way out of this relegation scrap
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

We will sign one player - on loan - at best. That has been made very clear by the leaks of this window.

We have no chance in hell in signing 2 or 3 players.

This is going to be a classic David Sullivan style razzle dazzle.

Leak a few names on deadline day. Get a few Sky Sports reporters to the training ground. Make it look like we're really interested in getting players signed.

Then just talk about how we worked really hard to get deals over the line but time was against us.

You'd think that a Premier League club would plan for transfer windows, wouldn't you?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Didn't Moyes say just the other day 'no more cast offs'? 'Players for the future, the next 3 or 4 years'? What the f*ck is Nzonzi then :eh: