David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Ironing Board »

One interesting point made is that this team's lack of pace would not matter so much in the more technical La Liga. But then, Husillos and Pell seem to have mistaken just how critical physicality is in this league.
student_hammer
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by student_hammer »

Moyes Out

I’ll never accept him as manager of my club.

Disliked him just as much first time round. Some of the worst and most negative football I’ve ever witnessed as a West Ham fan have occurred under his stewardship. He brings a whole new meaning to anti-football.

People blame injuries, transfers and the squad. Sure he doesn’t have control over those things - but It wouldn’t make a difference, he would still play the same formation and the same tactics. Flat back 5, with 2 full backs not wing backs. 3 holding central midfielders. One advanced midfielder and a lone striker. Go long and hope the front man can make something happen. :thdn:

How many games in his first and second spell have we had 2 or less shots in an entire game?! And it’s the fifth time we’ve conceded at least 4 away from home. I hear all the time that Moyesey will get the players running, working harder, give the team more shape, be better defensively...I can give him some credit, the team do spend more time defending.... just a shame it’s for the entire game and not very adequately.

4-0 away at Everton / 4-1 Liverpool / 4-1 Swansea / 4-1 arsenal / 4-1 Leicester (not a bad collection considering he’s only managed us for 36 games)

And we play the top two three times in the next four league games....
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

e17 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 pm I’m waiting to be told how many games he’s allowed before it’s acceptable to judge him as manager of WHU.

Watched a few giving it the big un on here about Moyes during the Bournemouth game - literally during the game while all our team was playing - announcing how the rest of us were mugs and all the reasons we were mugs, and why Moyes was the right man.

Is now enough time to suggest that, regrettably, some of us might actually have had our reservations based on a multitude of elements that sadly now look like they’re coming to fruition?

The squad, the sloppy seconds manager, the budget.

Pitch invasions coming soon.

We won a league game 4-0 to a side even more out of form than we were.

For some that will buy Moyes forever and a day. Plus don;t forget he is a nice guy and all that.

Even if we finish bottom and then come Christmas next season are in the Bottom 6 in the Fizzy, some will still say he is the right man.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

brothernero wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 pm Well he never got a job with any and I would be stunned if he said no to any, seeing how the man himself said in an interview how desperate he was got get back into management.

Hardly going to then go and turn down 3 premier league jobs is he.
I really don't know. Oddly despite GSB's best efforts we are still one of the biggest clubs in the country. After getting badly burned at Sunderland it's possible he has been a bit more discerning in choosing his next job because, let's face it, this is last chance saloon territory.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Well, David, that was as bad as anything Pell did. The first half was pathetic not just because the performance was so bad, but the idea and setup was abysmal.

Second half, 20 mins of standing people under the crossbar for corners didn’t work, and then we crumbled.

His bottom line is meant to be grit and steel.
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

Mate Everton are a much bigger club than us and he was their manager for 10+ years. Even they said no to him. (By all accounts they were one of the 3 teams that interviewed him)

Sorry but for me that speaks volumes.

Sorry for me I cant buy that he was interviewed by 9 different English clubs but was hanging onto the hope that a team like West Ham would come in for him again.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Just been told 17.2% of West Ham’s premier league games under David Moyes have ended in 4-1 losses.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

There is no way David Moyes would turn down any job, especially already having been interviewed. The bloke was clearly desperate.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Wilko1304 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm Just been told 17.2% of West Ham’s premier league games under David Moyes have ended in 4-1 losses.
:lol:
brothernero

Post by brothernero »

HammerAl wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm There is no way David Moyes would turn down any job, especially already having been interviewed. The bloke was clearly desperate.
He might have turned 1 or 2 down. But not 9 and most certainly not 3 premier league clubs one of which was Everton.

No chance in hell.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm If we don’t make at least 2 signings in this transfer window then I won’t even judge him at all. No point. If we persist with a 34 year old RB twice per week along with an ageing Noble and pathetic Lanzini and Haller we just can’t improve...
no one else would've walked into the job without contracted demands over players to be brought in.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Moyes has to take responsibility for that display tonight. The first half was appalling and bar about twenty mins all game we were dominated.

We're going down, the board left it too late to change Pell and when they did, they've not only appointed the wrong man but failed to back him in the transfer market.

A horrendous scenario all round
ironfireman

Post by ironfireman »

We all know Haller needs people up there with him! We've all seen what he did last season with a bit of company around him, yet Moyes still chooses to isolate him and can't see the obvious.

But what really does my nut, is when you are going away to possibly the quickest breaking team in the league with lighting pace on the attack, at what point do you think playing zab (bless him he puts in a shift) who looks like he's running through treacle on one side and Arthur who is good a getting forward but defensively and positionally inept on the other side!!
Surely it doesn't take a football genius to know they were both gonna be torn a new one!

To add insult to injury, just when Fornals was starting to show a bit a form and looking like one of better players, Moyes drops him and puts in Lanzini who to be fair hasn't done anything in a long while!!!

The tactical decisions, game management and failure to spot the obvious astounds me!

Then after in the interview when asked about new signings, he looked like a right wet lettuce saying I would like some but it's doubtful!!! Like a good little puppy!!!

Right now we need a manager with balls that will go GSB tomorrow and smash their office up and demand players!! But we all know he won't because he's too appreciative they've given him a job in the first place!!!

Got a bad feeling about this!
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Doesn't matter if we had Pep Guardiola as our manager. Even he couldn't turn lead into gold when the majority of our squad are a bunch of weaklings and slowcoaches.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

brothernero wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:14 pm Mate Everton are a much bigger club than us and he was their manager for 10+ years. Even they said no to him. (By all accounts they were one of the 3 teams that interviewed him)

Sorry but for me that speaks volumes.

Sorry for me I cant buy that he was interviewed by 9 different English clubs but was hanging onto the hope that a team like West Ham would come in for him again.
TBF the moment Ancelotti became available and Everton's far more ambitious owners decided to pursue him that would be then end of his chance there.

Like I say I'm not a Moyes is the Messiah person and I wanted Pellers to succeed but I just find this thread a bit, well, pointless, the performances of our player's seem to remain the same under whomever we have in charge. They're not fit for purpose.

Pep or Klopp wouldn't get a consistent tune out of this side. Unfortunately the only kind of Manager that probably can is the antithesis of what most of us see as "The West Ham Way".

If anything Moyes has got himself stuck between 2 opposing mentalities. For all his faults in think he genuinely wants to produce an attacking, high press team and at the same time doesn't want to be seen as defensive dinosaur Moyes.

Our player's aren't capable of the high press attack, that was what Pellers wanted from them and they consistently failed to deliver. That leaves the defensive Dyche, Allardyce, Hodgeson, Pullis approach that Moyes is trying to avoid becoming as our best bet of picking up points.

GSB could fix all this by using the clubs money to fund the purchase of players that we all know we desperately need but that's simply not going to happen is it.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 pm That's simply not true. The great AC Milan team would do exactly that. They would play an attacking 4-4-2 at home and switch it up away from home, often with a 4-5-1. Many teams have a different system for on the road matches.
I have no idea how a Milan team switchig between two systems both with a back four for different matches is any way relevant to Moyes switching back and forth between a five at the back and a four at the back in the same game!

Not only will it be confusing for the defenders but also the midfield as their roles will change

Why on earth does he think this is a good idea? It is absolute madness and serves no purpose other than to try and fool everyone that he is a tactical innovator
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

People need to turn their attentions away from the manager and focus them on the owners. If any of us were doing a job for 10 years and we hadn’t learnt anything or improved we wouldn’t be doing that job any more. These clowns at the top haven’t got a clue and should now do what’s best for the club and not themselves. They’ve royally fxxxed up and should take responsibility
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

He's showing everyone exactly why no other team wanted him.
No job in a year since we decided he wasn't good enough , guess what he's still not good enough.

GSB OUT
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Moyes isn't Klopp, we all know that.

He is however the best we can hope for with this board and much more adept than he's given credit for.

The board were always going cheap and free which left us with Allardyce, Pulis, Pardew, Redknapp or Moyes. We took the best option.

You can slam the negativity today all you want, but we were missing our best goalkeeper, our right back that has any sort of speed, and our two best outlets, that makes defending and attacking extremely difficult.

The team has so many glaring deficiencies that without a defensive set up most teams would be wiping the floor with us like Newcastle, Tottenham and Burnley all did.

Zabaleta needs extra protection, Noble and Snodgrass aren't good enough alone to partner Rice so they both have to play, which means Fornals can't play in his best position.
We are completely devoid of pace which means its nigh on impossible to get the ball away from our half, and our target man is completely isolated because our pedestrian midfield is too busy covering for their own shortcomings to help him out.

All of this lays squarely at the boards feet. With a fit Antonio and Anderson we don't play that style. With a box to box midfielder worth his salt we don't play that style. With worthwhile fullbacks we don't play that style.

The problem is the board, and until those three sorry excuse for human beings crawl off this Earth and out of this club, it doesn't matter who's the manager.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

thejackhammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 pm Moyes isn't Klopp, we all know that.

He is however the best we can hope for with this board and much more adept than he's given credit for.

The board were always going cheap and free which left us with Allardyce, Pulis, Pardew, Redknapp or Moyes. We took the best option.

You can slam the negativity today all you want, but we were missing our best goalkeeper, our right back that has any sort of speed, and our two best outlets, that makes defending and attacking extremely difficult.

The team has so many glaring deficiencies that without a defensive set up most teams would be wiping the floor with us like Newcastle, Tottenham and Burnley all did.

Zabaleta needs extra protection, Noble and Snodgrass aren't good enough alone to partner Rice so they both have to play, which means Fornals can't play in his best position.
We are completely devoid of pace which means its nigh on impossible to get the ball away from our half, and our target man is completely isolated because our pedestrian midfield is too busy covering for their own shortcomings to help him out.

All of this lays squarely at the boards feet. With a fit Antonio and Anderson we don't play that style. With a box to box midfielder worth his salt we don't play that style. With worthwhile fullbacks we don't play that style.

The problem is the board, and until those three sorry excuse for human beings crawl off this Earth and out of this club, it doesn't matter who's the manager.
Great Post.
Spot on!!