Leicester City 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by upton o'good »

Cellar-door wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:41 pm I agree, Masuaku appears to be in the correct position, I think that Cresswell is supposed to slide outside when the field is switched, probably why he was just standing in his keeper's way not guarding anyone when the shot was taken.

The whole thing was a collapse that happened because our midfield and RB got torched, but Masuaku picks up the biggest threat in the middle and leaves the FB overlapping to be picked up by Cresswell. Ball moved so easily across that Cresswell was well out of position, but that isn't Masuaku's fault
Having watched again, I think that is right. I would also highlight the way that Diop didnt move across toward goal, as the move develops - if he moved over, Oggie can move over and it is easwier for Cresswell to come out toward Perreira. Even if he doesnt reach him, he may put him off...

I can see that it is an easy error to make, but if you are overloading one part of the pitch (in this case 3 CBs close together, with one striker) then chances are there are big gaps elsewhere.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

Moyes should be steaming into the owners office tomorrow demanding that he is given a chance of bringing in some players to save our season or resign
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

chigwells finest wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 pm we only managed huff and puff for 20 mins in the 2nd half , honestly it cant get much worse , 5 months of abject performances
Sadly, the only person that's able to do something about it is Sullivan. If he doesn't give moyes what he needs this window then we deserve to go down.
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

Well, that was a stark dose of reality. It seems that we are unwilling to engage in the sheer hard work needed to be physical against our opponents. We concede so much space our opponents have the time to basically do what they want, go past us, and then we on the back foot facing our own goal.

I don't see any snarling/blood guts and giblets/not on my watch attitude. Instead, it's flopping - how dare the opposition get physical to try to win the ball?

We are in a sh1tload of trouble. We pose no threat - Antonio excepted - and no-one, no-one can possibly be intimated by us pre-game. When the game starts, then there's more proof we're not up for it. And then the stats show that if you score first against us, it's game over.

We are pathetic opposition. Whatever happened to the old school "you have to earn the right to play"? The number of: so and so hasn't scored for a year/hasn't scored in front of his own fans/never scored/is on a drought but scores against us is truly embarrassing for a bunch of professionals, but then they seem to play without personal pride, professional pride, and without any respect for the club, its fans, and its traditions. I'm disgusted - again. God bless those of you who travel to support them; I am in awe of you across the miles, across the Atlantic.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

smuts wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 pm Your typical Creswell half arsed attempt at a block.
Tbf, Cress totally saved Zaba, at one point earlier.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 pm Sadly, the only person that's able to do something about it is Sullivan. If he doesn't give moyes what he needs this window then we deserve to go down.
:thup: spot on, Burnley.
Pellegrini or Moyes, what does it matter when you've got (some of) those 'tools' at your disposal.
In a way, if we go down, I'm glad that we'll deserve to go down. It's even worse when you don't deserve it.

Also have to say, I've been ripping into Randolph since he came back but, he does seem a better keeper than last time here.
Good for him, he's now a good back up to Fab.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

1) What I critize the most of the game today is the non CONSEQUENCE of Moyes...

I mean, I really expected us to play with 3 CBs, (Moyes not being Moyes???)

Ogbonna - Balbuena - Diop

As he tried so in the FA game.

There is no time to improvise and no piety in the PL... you have to STICK with it.

2) And again, Fornals not been used from the begining...

3) Without Vardy Leicester was there for the taking at some point... so why not to play some MORE DIRECT and counter back football??

I really expected Moyes to play us much more direct and not this at times insipid old school "pass-to-side-and-back" pace from Pelle and this posession based football... were needing this bad for so long... to be clinical and get of almost EVERY chance a goal.

If Haller has to be subded for that and put Antonio or Ajeti there, I would do it..

traxop wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:28 pm I hope this is all part of Moyes' master plan and he's playing 4D chess to try to get the Board to dip into the transfer window, because that's one of the most clueless performances I've seen.

Why were we even trying to sit that deep when a) we're playing against a team that likes to run channels behind the backline and it was only a matter of time before they got behind us b) without any pace, we didn't pose a counter-attacking threat even if we were to regain the ball deep in our half. We did nothing in the first half except hoof the ball back to Liecester to start another attack. We had less than 30% possession in the first half.

Say what you will about Pellerigini, but at least he understood the limitations of the team. He understood 3 key points about this West Ham team. He knew we shouldn't sit back because we're lacking in the middle(unless it's against the likes of City), but at the same time he knew we didn't really have the pace to counter-attack and thirdly, we weren't suited to high pressing because our core is old(it just is). That's why he sought to control the game with possession, it was the best strategy we had but reliant on individual quality, and because of that it was hit and miss compounded by the fact the team has far too many mistakes in them to be successful model this season.
Good post mate!
Last edited by Universidad-de-Chile on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
LordStanley
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by LordStanley »

#NextLevel
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

Watching that team today was like watching Jurassic Park without the Velociraptors or Trex, just the Diplodocus chewing on leaves for 90 minutes. We all identified lack of pace as a huge problem, but what really kills me is the lack of precision, there is no one that can split a defense with a thru-ball.we simply just run down the wing and hoof into a static box. Something a guy like Barkley could possibly fix, but let's be honest, no one's coming here. As far as Moyes his first mistake was parking the bus the first half, playing Lanzini over Fornals, and taking Snodders off instead of Lanzini. But honestly, what can he really do? Even if you brought KLopp in right now we would be doomed. If there is no attempt to make changes during this window we are well and truly going down.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 pm Sadly, the only person that's able to do something about it is Sullivan. If he doesn't give moyes what he needs this window then we deserve to go down.
Moyes keeps saying that he's "happy with the squad"!
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Samba wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 pm Tbf, Cress totally saved Zaba, at one point earlier.
Great tackle and cover.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Italian Hammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 pm Sullivan. Sitting in the stands with a gormless expression. How the f@#k can this guy not see, from looking at the league table, our upcoming fixtures and the spanking we got tonight that we need quality players brought in in at least 3 or 4 positions to cover the deficiencies and mounting injuries?
Because he doesn't care about the football side of the club, IH. He can't do.
OR, at best, he still hasn't got a clue about running a football club.
If we can lose 4-1 to (a recently poor) Leicester, how the f*ck are we going to do against all-conquering Livarpool, even at 'home'?
duncanio

Post by duncanio »

Sullivan and Gold have an opportunity to save the season by bringing in a couple of new players. Why aren't they? You'd think they'd be spending next summer's transfer budget to ensure our position. I don't get it, maybe they think we're too good to go down? This is their opportunity to take action, what are they doing? At times tonight, the defence looked a shambles, the midfield painfully slow and our "creative" players and forward clueless (as they have for a long time). The only way to save our season is to bring in few new hungry players, I just can not comprehend them not taking the opportunity now. :eh:
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Daytonahammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:50 pm Watching that team today was like watching Jurassic Park without the Velociraptors or Trex, just the Diplodocus chewing on leaves for 90 minutes. We all identified lack of pace as a huge problem, but what really kills me is the lack of precision, there is no one that can split a defense with a thru-ball.we simply just run down the wing and hoof into a static box. Something a guy like Barkley could possibly fix, but let's be honest, no one's coming here. As far as Moyes his first mistake was parking the bus the first half, playing Lanzini over Fornals, and taking Snodders off instead of Lanzini. But honestly, what can he really do? Even if you brought KLopp in right now we would be doomed. If there is no attempt to make changes during this window we are well and truly going down.
Thats was (is) Anderson...

For me he is THE one who left Pelle going down this season.

It was just a masterstroke of a mistake.. as you just CANT have your 2 stars signs not giving a good performance 75% of the games with their inconsistent and erratic character.

I would have not signed none of them and rather instead signed 4-5 more usefull players and servers, soldiers like Fornals and guys who left his skin on the pitch every time they put on our shirt.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

upton o'good wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm Having watched again, I think that is right. I would also highlight the way that Diop didnt move across toward goal, as the move develops - if he moved over, Oggie can move over and it is easwier for Cresswell to come out toward Perreira. Even if he doesnt reach him, he may put him off...

I can see that it is an easy error to make, but if you are overloading one part of the pitch (in this case 3 CBs close together, with one striker) then chances are there are big gaps elsewhere.
I look at it in quite simple terms. Their right back moved forward through an ocean of space where our left midfielder/wingback should be and smashed it in from inside the box. Why people are blaming the left centre back for not getting out quicker and covering this fact I don't quite understand. Just showed up Arthur's lack of positional awareness and ball watching.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

You can look at it how you like but in that interpretation you would be wrong.
The left wing back was not far off where he should be given the play was over to the right
If he doesn't move into the middle there is a massive great hole for Tielemans to have a field day in
Was Masaaku too central, probably. But once Chilwell got free he has to stay on Tielemans. Cresswell should have an eye on Periera and step out quicker.
However, the main problem was Rice and Zabaleta parting like the red Sea to allow Chillwelll to calmly stroke the ball, unchallenged across the box. Both of them together should have forced hm wide or made a challenge but they bottled out and turned their backs

Tbf it doesn't help anyone with Moyes switching between 5 at the back and then a flat back four every 15 minutes
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Crouchey - has Cresswell been shagging your missus?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:30 am Crouchey - has Cresswell been shagging your missus?
I hope not for her sake.
Doubt it would be much fun
I expect he is proper boring between the sheets. Every time he begins to build up a head of steam he pulls out. Bet he has a little tiddler too

Tbf in this case I don't think Cresswell is particularly to blame. Doesnt have much time to weoght it all up and push out .shambolic defending all round with Zab and Rice most culpable
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Cresswell is too busy floating aimless punts down the line to be shagging anybody’s missus!
Adecoker
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Adecoker »

Just before pelligrini got the hook the owners were using their lackies in the media to suggest that fornals was a waste of space. I wouldnt be surprised if that has some connect to moyes's treatment of the player