How much do you care about relegation?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

prophet:marginal
Location: Marking Us With The Sight Of What We Might Have Known

Re: How much do you care about relegation?

Post by prophet:marginal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 pm

The main problem with relegation is that it would only be a select few that we would definitely see the back of. I make them Haller, Anderson, Rice and probably Fornals. Maybe Diop, too, but I don't rate him as highly as quite a lot on here. We couldn't discount losing Fabianski, too.

Counter-intuitively, we would not see the back of Balbuena, Cresswell, Masuaku, Reid, Noble, even Snodgrass, in the short-term, and Lanzini. These players are either on contracts that no other top flight club would consider it worth their while buying out, or simply unsellable in any way.

One or two jokers remain in the pack: Antonio might find another Prem team. His agent would certainly be looking for one.

So, with that in mind, what the question really is whether you can actually tolerate a large chunk of the players we watched tonight still playing for us, against inferior opposition, in a joke of a half-full stadium?

Watching us go down, in all its jaw-dropping horror, is probably not as bad as watching the aftermath in the '2nd division', even if I cannot argue with the suggestion that it feels that relegation is no longer an 'if', but a 'when'.

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:39 pm

Talk is that everything and everyone are on contracts that terminate with the sell on clause.

In 2 years we might be worth the stock in the Club shop.

Major
%&!$

Post by Major » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 pm

I would laugh my tits off as the horriblecunts that own the club would loose a fortune.

Especially that insipid bint Brady and Sullivan the lying prick

Coops

Post by Coops » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:46 pm

Major wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 pm
I would laugh my tits off as the horriblecunts that own the club would loose a fortune.

Especially that insipid bint Brady and Sullivan the lying prick
Would they though?
Isn't there a clause that makes our rent at the bowl even cheaper if we are relegated?
Last edited by Coops on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paolo's Piranhas

Post by Paolo's Piranhas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:49 pm

Like everything to do with West Ham these days, I wish I had a simple answer. On the one hand, the idea of the owners’ claim to fame disappearing from the back pages, Sky, MOTD etc. is an attractive proposition. But, on the other, I suspect that they’ve created a toxic hybrid of the worst of Sunderland and Coventry, and I fear that it could prove truly disastrous to us this time.

I didn’t care when we got relegated in ’78 (my first). Or any of the other times prior to our current board, as the club was always there, unchanged by it. Now, I’m not so sure there’s enough left to survive it.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Every other time we have got relegated in last 40 years or so we have come stright back up within two years so the memories are great.
Lots of wins, promotion chase, playoff finals etc whilst also playing different teams and being able to act like the Charlie big potatoes for a couple of years.

That is all well and good if you come back up quickly. If not, I imagine it soon turns into purgatory. Playing the same **** teams season after season, any player of half decent ability sold to some crap club like Southampton after 30 games. Even less chance of a cup run than now.

Even no VAR won't be an advantage for long as it will be rolled out at Championship level soon enough.

We are not very good but I still get excited by the matches against the bigger teams even if chances of winning are slim because you just never know. I love the matches against Spurs, Chelsea, Man U etc and being able to give mates grief when we turn Spurs over. Take that away and it all becomes even more mundane IMHO

The Premier League may have many faults but I would still rather west ham were in it than not.

Of course, if relegation meant the owners leaving then that is a different conversation, but I don't think that would be the outcome

Major
%&!$

Post by Major » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm

Coops wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:46 pm
Would they though?
Isn't their a clause that makes our rent at the bowl even cheaper if we are relegated?
100 odd milll a year lost from the premier league, the rent on the stadium means nothing

[HH]
In the closet

Post by [HH] » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:59 pm

Guilty pleasure - I enjoy lower league football... So why celebrate promotion then?

Greater opportunity of cup runs and European football; Since promotion, we've not done much in the FA cup, had a league cup semi which a lot think we threw away to Arsenal. Consecutive years in the Europa League, but knocked out before the group stage to Astra Giurgiu. It's almost as if we didn't want to take it seriously, and you ask yourself "what's the point?"

So what's the lure of top flight football? Far greater media exposure and can almost follow news more casually. It takes more effort to follow lower league, but that isn't a bad thing as I feel more engaged. I'd say watching a player of Payet's calibre was the best thing since promotion.

If we go down this time, it won't be the same as previously. The Boleyn was pretty dire when we were in the Championship due to expectations. I think the inevitable unrealistic expectation of instant automatic promotion combined with a vastly reduced atmosphere due to lots of empty seats in an already rubbish stadium, there will be little appeal.

Top flight football has got to a point where television revenue is worth more than an attendance. So it'll hurt the owners, regardless of a drop in rent of the stadium. Also,a pro to relegation is an absence of VAR. It worked really well at the world cup. The Premier Leagues implementation of it to make the game as sterile as possible has been nothing but shambolic.

Coops

Post by Coops » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:02 am

Major wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm
100 odd milll a year lost from the premier league, the rent on the stadium means nothing
It does if the spivs get gifted the stadium to end the financial burden on the taxpayer.
One thing the spivs are good at is making money. They are totally inept at running a football club from a fans point of view, but not from from a purely business view (and that is all we are to them, a business venture).
Why haven't they panicked and bought a couple of players? It's almost like they want us to go down.
Maybe I have just invented my own conspiracy theory.

il_martello_di_genovesi

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 am

They would be able to sell Rice, Haller, Anderson, Diop, Yarmolenko and Fornals to make up the shortfall of Premier League TV money. They would then invest enough to start signing decent Championship players which would be a fraction of the cost to what they would need to spend if we were a Premier League side. It would probably be enough to get us back up and they still wouldn’t be out of pocket.

I really don’t think relegation scares them at all. That’s even more worrying...

GPW

Post by GPW » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 am

Personally I am indifferent either way. If we stay up it will be to rinse and repeat what we see today. If we go down it might be fun but I dare say sown Sunderland fans thought that.

On balance I don’t care either way. I would edge my score up a bit for my younger son as the stick he’ll get and the reduced coverage could loosen his connection to the club which would be a shame. I’d cope with that if I thought relegation would help get rid of GSB. I don’t think it will. We will be worth less in the Championship so they will hang on like cheap parasites and hope to squeeze a way back up to make their “asset” worth more.

Coops

Post by Coops » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 am

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:07 am
They would be able to sell Rice, Haller, Anderson, Diop, Yarmolenko and Fornals to make up the shortfall of Premier League TV money. They would then invest enough to start signing decent Championship players which would be a fraction of the cost to what they would need to spend if we were a Premier League side. It would probably be enough to get us back up and they still wouldn’t be out of pocket.

I really don’t think relegation scares them at all. That’s even more worrying...
Didn't the little spiv say that we always get promoted straight away?
Somebody should show him that Sunderland series on Netflix.

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:13 am

Jimmy Ruffell wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:05 pm
It’s a 1 for me - I’ve seen a few relegations
And nothing worse than in 1978 as a teenager
When it was a 5 for sure
That was a bad one, JR. Possibly because we'd been top flight for the previous 20 years.
However, we had Bonds, Brooking, Cross, Devonshire, Holland, Lampard, Martin & Pike, as a nucleus to build on.
We don't have anywhere near those players now.

I don't know or care what it would do to GSB, I just hate relegation. And I will especially hate the risk it carries that we could drop into the third tier, for the first time ever.
That would REALLY be a legacy from GSB. Throwing away Upton Park AND playing in EFL D1...

Samba

Post by Samba » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 am

Coops wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:02 am
It does if the spivs get gifted the stadium to end the financial burden on the taxpayer.
One thing the spivs are good at is making money. They are totally inept at running a football club from a fans point of view, but not from from a purely business view (and that is all we are to them, a business venture).
Why haven't they panicked and bought a couple of players? It's almost like they want us to go down.
Maybe I have just invented my own conspiracy theory.
Already been thinking it, Coops. It's the only thing that makes a bit of sense.

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY becomes custom" (Chile)

Post by Universidad-de-Chile » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:45 am

I rather care more about to respect the contract of our managers UNTILL its end...

So with Moyes, so with Pelle, EVEN if we go down.

Then, whats will be the consequence of the whole this season if we descend even having now Moyes now signed and 5m spent in the resignation of the old one??

I would have stick with Pelle or then with Billic... so that no excuses can at the end be maked it.

This has to stop.

westhamlinnet

Post by westhamlinnet » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 am

I care but i have got to stage after supporting west ham since 1970s at first travelling to upton park from kings lynn and moving to london and having a season ticket 25 years introducing my children to club that i cant morally justify giving money to gold and sullivan. It sticks in the claw they are making money from something i love but i could justify that to a degree if they were competent owners but they are useless no investment in infrastructure. No planning no forward thinking. I feel this will be my last season i will return hopefully when they are gone . At least kings lynn top of conference north have a chance of going into conference next season .

Parkeslife

Post by Parkeslife » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:03 am

0 on the Premier League, hate it. Of course the only thing that matters to me is that the club survives which is why the risk and reward Premier League is so ****ed up. Decided that a couple of years ago and instead of moaning decided to watch my local National League team and have followed them round the Country instead. Feel slightly liberated to be honest.

Halifax, Stockport and Harrogate beckon but I'd rather think I'm valued in a Club than not.

New Jersey

Post by New Jersey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:11 am

I care as I live in New Jersey and the coverage of the Premiership on NBC Sports is excellent. Getting relegated means watching dodgy streams, although I've done it before. What really gets me is that I really thought we had a shot of breaking into the top six this season. I thought we had assembled a decent squad and the usual top teams such as Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs were all going to have an off year. I really thought we could be sitting where Leicester are now.

It's amazing what has happened. Moyes kept us up last time and I'm praying he can do it again, but seeing him tonight, he looked like he did when he took Sunderland down.

Of course I will support West Ham whatever happens as I have for 54 years, even from afar, and I do get over for the odd game. But the prospect of flying over to go watch Barnsley in a half empty athletics stadium doesn't exactly get the pulse racing. I do worry that we could disappear for years, bit like Coventry, Portsmouth and Sunderland have.

I think it's natural to want your team to be playing against the best, it does mean many losses, but that then provides the biggest high when we do turn over Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd etc. How were we all feeling after beating Man Utd 2-0 earlier in the season. Still wondering how we went from there to where we are now.

So I'm praying for a miracle, it's going to take one.

Happyhammer52

Post by Happyhammer52 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:18 am

Coops wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 am
Didn't the little spiv say that we always get promoted straight away?
Somebody should show him that Sunderland series on Netflix.
Dangerous game, he'd end up trying to appoint Coleman.

Our past two relegations hurt me, 2003 especially. Then again I was a teenager and had never seen us go down before.

I would take absolute pleasure in seeing us drop now. Fair enough getting there is bit of a pain in the arse, but anything that hurts their image is okay in my book.

When you take a step back and analyse it, ****ing mad really. Actively willing your own side to go down, unfortunately that's what it has come to.

NedN

Post by NedN » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:55 am

Living in the states, I grew up up not being able to watch us and having to follow our highlights and Paolo’s Antics on Fox sports world’s weekly round up with Max Bretos. Moved on to steams and now every game on nbc sports

The past relegations have been sad and this would be too, but it would be especially tough as I would then not be able to watch us every week.