Leicester City 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Cellar-door »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:33 am
Tbf in this case I don't think Cresswell is particularly to blame. Doesnt have much time to weoght it all up and push out .shambolic defending all round with Zab and Rice most culpable
Yeah, I was pointing out that it was likely Cresswell's responsibility, but also that he likely doesn't get out there even if he reads it right. Now maybe a hard charge gets a block or forces a shift outside that helps everyone. The main problem is that Zab, Rice, Snodgrass and Noble all saw men fly right past them in turn and the whole structure of the defense collapsed and put the left sided players into scramble mode.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Fornals played a Summer tournament and is used fo a league with a winter break. He's probably just being protected.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

At least we’ll be able to forget about the league at the weekend and enjoy the cup!
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

We deserved to lose based on the first half alone. Moyes got the set up and team completely wrong... we need to push forward with 442 from here on.

Second we were much better... but it would have been criminal if we got anything after that first half performance.

Ref was literally making it up as he went along and Leicester played into that when we were on top in the second half. I'm not sure I've seen a more inept performance this season... it was just bizarre!

At the end you could see we were just ****ed!

If we start games in a similar ilk to how we started the second half we'll win enough between now and the end of the season!
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

brothernero wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm Penalty aside (and it was never a pen) we have created the square root of sweet FA.
It was certainly a very soft penalty - and it probably kept the score down Leicester became a lot more cautious after nobes scored. Think they might have run away 5 or 6 nil without it.
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

thejackhammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:16 am Fornals played a Summer tournament and is used fo a league with a winter break. He's probably just being protected.
Probably saving him so he can start in our winnable games against Liverpool (twice) and City :lol:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I enjoyed the bit where our non-existent midfield, allowed their midfielders the freedom of the park, for 90 minutes.
GPW
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by GPW »

It comes to something when even the likes of Robbie Savage can spot the glaring lack of pace and mobility in our team and the non existent “threat” in midfield.

So blindingly obvious.
Last edited by GPW on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

GPW wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:43 am It comes to something when even the likes of Robbie Savage can spit
I thought that was Carra!
GPW
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by GPW »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 am I thought that was Carra!
Good catch (now edited)
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Moyes can spot it, it's the owners who aren't providing it.

Just like they didn't provide Carvalho for Bilic, or a striker for Bilic, or any full backs despite us being linked constantly, or a replacement for Obiand and Hernandez.

We could have Boris Johnson as manager and my contempt would be directed at the owners.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I couldn't post last night, I was too pissed off!

Anyway on reflection...

To be honest the form booked played out last night. They are third and we are *****.

Nothing on the pitch surprised me last night though as it has been the same problems for some time. We are beyond slow, it is embarrassing.

I kind of understand why we played the formation in the first half, fair play it wasn't working and he changed. I also understand why he didn't play Antonio, not being rushed back.
Fornals Vs Lanzini is an interesting one. Perhaps he is seeing the old Lanzini on the training ground? Lanzini on form you cannot drop, and maybe he feels that we cannot start both of them together. It is clear however, that Lanzini is now a passenger and I would suggest that Fornals plays instead and if possible, bring Lanzini from the bench until he (hopefully) finds form again.

What is evident is the current set up does not work. We play mostly down the left last night and Cresswell kept passing backwards because no one was up with him and Haller doesn't make any runs.
I thought Randy did ok, I remember him being ok at shot stopping and he had a couple on the highlight reel last night. Antonio was working hard but other than that I thought it was dire.

I think we need two midfielders and a forward this window; I would only keep Rice in the current midfield and Haller needs someone up with him. I would go all out for his old strike partners that are apparently available on loan.
NZonzi is not the answer, we don't need another plodder, we need someone who can carry the ball and relieve the defence and transition into attack.

For me Leicester is the blueprint.
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

thejackhammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:02 am Moyes can spot it, it's the owners who aren't providing it.

Just like they didn't provide Carvalho for Bilic, or a striker for Bilic, or any full backs despite us being linked constantly, or a replacement for Obiand and Hernandez.

We could have Boris Johnson as manager and my contempt would be directed at the owners.
:thup: exactly how I feel.

Disappointed to hear Moyes say that he would like two (think we need more), might end up with one or none. That sounds like talk from the top and he is towing the line. Surely he cannot be happy with what he has?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

got what we deserved a thorough beating. its embarrassing when commentators keep mentioning how pathetic we are. they showed on MOTD a Leicester player running past zaba . they said great pace and were laughing over zaba whose legs have gone. yet he still has to play every game for us !

only player to get a decent mark for me was Antonio but I kept fearing his hammy would go everytime he ran.

Snodgrass was knackered after 10 mins and should not have been starting
noble was knackered after 10 mins and should not have been starting

lanzini was again the worst player and should have been off after 30 mins. fornals starts for me ahead of him
haller was his usual moody lazy self although he had no support until Antonio arrived. even so he doesn't do enough for me 45m !!!

I don't understand why we sent Holland and Coventry out on loan. surely they could of come in for a few of them last night and are more useful than sanchez on the bench.

don't know why he took masuaka off as he at least went forward a couple of times in that dreadful first half.

next up scousepool and a 5-0 beating followed by a must win against brighton. But first the cup and god knows what team we will put out
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

I just don't feel comfortable judging any manager under the constraints of this board.

In 10 years every single one has crumbled, we have a high point but end up fighting relegation again and again under every manager they've ever hired.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

true nothing will change under the shysters. they are getting ready for relegation and will make up the shortfall in money following relegation by selling haller rice diop fornals and Anderson admittedly for about 50% of what we paid for them.

haller 20m back to germany rice 50m to man utd diop 15m fornals 15m and Anderson 30m a nice 130m should help the daves for a few seasons and then they can sell up and go.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Personally I thought we didn't do too bad to be still in it with 10 minutes to go, considering that the most static and pedestrian team in the division was meeting one of the most fluid and paceist (if that is a word).

You can see the hand that Moyes has been dealt with, and how much difference one man with a bit pace (Antonio) can make. Despite the result, i feel we are working harder than under the previous manager.

It's a question of getting a point per game over the season to stay up really. I think I'd rather win the cup though.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

they will throw that on Saturday to save players for Liverpool !
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Well, after not responding to this last night on here, because basically I couldn't, my two pennies worth is thus.

First half was abysmal, doesn't take a genius to work that out. I was immediately shocked with the inclusion of Lanzini over Fornals - but whilst I thought it was ridiculous, I could kind of understand why he did it - doesn't mean I agreed with it though. I also understand why he didn't start Antonio - because of he had and he pulled up again, then any slight hope of survival would be gone.

Second half, we were like a different team - the manager made the changes, and we got the penalty and our tails were up. Don't care f it was soft - looked a penalty to me. Haller was being pulled back and the defender put his knee in to his leg. Penalty all day long and VAR rightly agreed.

After the penalty, we were on the up, and playing alright. We were having most of the ball, and City were rattled. They'd become a bit disorganised, and I actually thought we'd nick it and go on and get the equaliser.

Then the thing that totally took the wind out of our sails and made our heads drop. Just moments before, Randolph made an absolute wonder save, and then made another very good save with his legs that cut out a low ball across the box, probably preventing another goal. Good keeping from him. We go up the other end and win a corner then bang - our lack of pace allowed them to break, and Inacho skinned Ogbonna. Ogbonna had a brain-fart, hacked him down rather than allowing him to get a shot off, a shot that could very well have been saved, if not missed. Leave the keeper to do his job, and don't give away the penalty for goodness sake! Basic, basic error from what has been our most reliable defender this season.

Boom, in the net the penalty goes (A good penalty it was too, keeper had no chance), our heads drop, game well and truly out of our reach, Leicester then get their tales up and the 4th then follows.

I'm not saying we would have taken a point if Ogbonna hadn't given away that penalty - but we might have done. But after that 3rd? We were dead and buried.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

That was up there with some of the crappiest performances I have seen in the 56 years I have been following WHU. And there have been many, many crap performances. We just never seem to learn do we?
I think relegation is almost nailed on now. And what happens after that is anyone's guess. :|