The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by view from the shires »

The manager had the rug pulled out from under his feet. We were linked strongly with Maripan to shore up the defence and he wasn't signed. We sold Obiang with the widely reported promise of a replacement that didn't materialise. Hernandez sold after the window had been closed. Even the striker we did get was not the one Pelle said go all out to get.

It was the usual second season recruitment policy by the owners where the manager was hamstrung and positioned to take the blame.
steps
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

The Payet rumour has been wheeled out every transfer window for a while now.

Before him, it was Tevez.

It’s either a lazy journo leak to generate clicks, or it stems from the owners trying to take the heat off them for their failings.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Payet would be so bad for us under Moyes tactics. He’d leave him isolated behind Haller and he would be made completely redundant and the team would suffer as he doesn’t press or track back. In a good system of a progressive manager like Thomas Frank or Bielsa he still might be able to do the job but under Moyes it would just end up being a disaster.
BostonHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by BostonHammer »

VeniceHammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:53 am the club has denied interest in payet, this morning. sadly, I'd say, since a 45 year old payet would keep us up hopping on one leg. But why would he come back working for those chumps, anyway?
By the club do you mean Claret and Hugh? Doesn't he get things wrong all the time? I know he's Sullivan's puppet but at the same time a Payet signing reeks of razzle dazzle and appeasing the angry fans.

Also, for those who don't recall my summer transfer post, Payet would absolutely come back and it's down to our owners not him. I was at the Marseille - DC United match with other Hammers and we had a big D.C. Irons West Ham flag in the corner near the flag stick and he came over to us, pointed at us, and celebrated his beautiful assist in our general direction when his teammates were on the other end. In the car park we waited for him and he saluted us by putting up the crossed irons which led to quite a few of his teammates teasing him. He also turned around and thanked us and waved to us when we sang his song from behind the bench. All this to say that this to me is the behavior of a man who appreciates the nostalgia and misses it rather than someone who's tried to bury the memory.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Little more than a week left to bring in the three players (at least) we desperately need. But looking like more chance of a January heatwave than that happening.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

We're not going to get anyone decent in this window - or probably never again until they go:

https://www.iod.com/ingoodcompany/article/baroness-karren-bradys-10-secrets-to-success

"8. Good negotiation is also about persuasion. When we’re doing a deal for a footballer, we have more to offer than just money: an ethos; an exciting future; an amazing fanbase."
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

Wembley1966 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:26 pm We're not going to get anyone decent in this window - or probably never again until they go:

https://www.iod.com/ingoodcompany/article/baroness-karren-bradys-10-secrets-to-success

"8. Good negotiation is also about persuasion. When we’re doing a deal for a footballer, we have more to offer than just money: an ethos; an exciting future; an amazing fanbase."
Ha! She really is as thick as mince.
tugboatpete69
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by tugboatpete69 »

lets face it noble is finished at this level-lanzini is lightweight and pushed off the ball im even losing faith in rice - We are going down unless we play with 2 up front and get some legs in the middle and i think we have all resigned ourselves to the reality allready !

The money will come in for lanzini,yarmalenko,anderson,haller,diop i give up so so depressed i hope we get hammered in the cup saturday

I hope moyes shows the lazy bastards a replay of last night- fkin appaulling
Brown Sauce
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Brown Sauce »

I hope Moyes watches it back and realises his team selection & set-up was appalling.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Brown Sauce wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 pm I hope Moyes watches it back and realises his team selection & set-up was appalling.
He played the exact same way last time he was here so i wouldn't hold your breath.
keithwright1977

Post by keithwright1977 »

As the window enters its final days we look like the most desperate of clubs, others will now see that and try and get as much out of us as possible...... great business strategy foolish owners
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:04 am We’re pretty toothless in attack outside of Antonio and Haller. We need to win games. If Payet can come in, find the passes and crosses (as well as the odd goal), we might actually win games.
Million % :thup:

At the beginning of the window a CM, a full back and a striker probably would have been enough but after last night I don't think it is.

Anderson is out, Lanzini is shot and Antonio can't play more than a couple of 60 minute games in a row. We are devoid of match winners. We need a game changer - someone that can bang in a 35 yard free kick against a de Gea or a Leno.

I'd drive down to the Riviera and scoop up the fat **** myself.
keithwright1977

Brown Sauce wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 pm I hope Moyes watches it back and realises his team selection & set-up was appalling.
Whatever way you look at it Moyes can only play the players he has, he can’t magic up any players so what can he do. We have probably the worst squad that we’ve ever had in the premier league and coupled with the fact that we have barely any talent coming through the system it’s a recipe for disaster
Belchio

Post by Belchio »

Marseille probably haven't paid the full £25m back for Payet. I suspect they are just inquiring if they could take him back and the debt would be cleared off much like Randolph and Boro.

Marseille save cash. Sully gets his Sulky magician back to sell a few more shirts.
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

I can’t agree with that mate. Southampton haven’t got a squad nearly as good as ours and look at the way they set up. They destroyed Leicester and Palace both away from home, because they didn’t sit back like Moyes does. Why couldn’t we play 4-4-2 like they do. Give Haller some help like he had in Frankfurt with Rebic and Jovic. Put Ajeti next to him and play Antonio and Masuaku as wingers until Anderson is fit again. Play Rice and Fornals and hard working CM who retain and pass on the ball. We have the players but we don’t have a manager who will use them correctly.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

coyi27 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:27 pm I can’t agree with that mate. Southampton haven’t got a squad nearly as good as ours and look at the way they set up. They destroyed Leicester and Palace both away from home, because they didn’t sit back like Moyes does. Why couldn’t we play 4-4-2 like they do. Give Haller some help like he had in Frankfurt with Rebic and Jovic. Put Ajeti next to him and play Antonio and Masuaku as wingers until Anderson is fit again. Play Rice and Fornals and hard working CM who retain and pass on the ball. We have the players but we don’t have a manager who will use them correctly.
It helps that they have Hjobjerg in the middle. Replacing Noble with him would make a pretty massive difference for us. They also have incredible pace on both wings which we do not.
keithwright1977

coyi27 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:27 pm I can’t agree with that mate. Southampton haven’t got a squad nearly as good as ours and look at the way they set up. They destroyed Leicester and Palace both away from home, because they didn’t sit back like Moyes does. Why couldn’t we play 4-4-2 like they do. Give Haller some help like he had in Frankfurt with Rebic and Jovic. Put Ajeti next to him and play Antonio and Masuaku as wingers until Anderson is fit again. Play Rice and Fornals and hard working CM who retain and pass on the ball. We have the players but we don’t have a manager who will use them correctly.
Southampton have one thing we don’t .... PACE
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Cellar-door wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm It helps that they have Hjobjerg in the middle. Replacing Noble with him would make a pretty massive difference for us. They also have incredible pace on both wings which we do not.
You can’t tell me Hojbjerg is much of an improvement on Rice. They have Redmond and Armstrong wide, we could have Masuaku and Antonio, also Anderson when fit. Imo it’s all about the approach. There is pace there and there are goals there, but when you sit back in your own penalty box how can you use utilise those weapons?
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

keithwright1977 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:53 pm Southampton have one thing we don’t .... PACE
They have Redmond that’s it. We have Antonio, Masuaku, Anderson and Diop. We just play them in the system where their pace is not utilised. Armstrong has looked their best player in recent weeks on the right wing and he has no pace, but their manager doesn’t sit back and isolate him like Moyes would have done.
keithwright1977

Some people on here have to wake up and smell the coffee, how many of our players would even get into Southamptons team at the moment. There are other people on here that are living in a fantasy world, have you noticed we don’t have any pace and we’re exposed every time a team attacks against us, as for Antonio, we can only get a half out of him as he is so injury prone