Leicester City 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/01/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by brothernero »

Nedn I was just trying to think of how many time I have seen West Ham in my 30+ years as a supporter, come from 2 goals down to win.

I am sure there is more but I can only think of 4.

Barnsley, 0-2, won 3-2
Bradford, 2-4, won 5-4 (Still my all time favourite West Ham match)
Everton, 0-2 won 3-2
Huddersfield, 1-3, won 4-3
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

brothernero wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:11 pm Nedn I was just trying to think of how many time I have seen West Ham in my 30+ years as a supporter, come from 2 goals down to win.

I am sure there is more but I can only think of 4.

Barnsley, 0-2, won 3-2
Bradford, 2-4, won 5-4 (Still my all time favourite West Ham match)
Everton, 0-2 won 3-2
Huddersfield, 1-3, won 4-3
I can only think of one game in the championship and Everton, so you should have more belief than me! 😂😂😂

Edit: and Bradford
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

What was the Championship game?

I think we may have also come from 2-0 down to beat Sunderland once, but that might just be my mind playing tricks and I cant recall what League we were in. (if we indeed did)

Edit just checked, yes it was Sunderland, 2003/4 season under Pardew. The game where Dailly and Repka had an on field bust up.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm Yes, to be honest. It's not why I watch the game of football.

Is winning 2-0 playing like Burnley better than losing 4-1 and playing like The Dog and Duck?

On balance, yes it clearly is better, but that's not really the point is it. If we can't strive to play a type of football that fans actually want to watch, there's no point in us even existing. We're clearly not going to challenge for any trophies so we'd essentially just be an inconsequential dullness. I'd like to be inconsequential and exciting at least.
I get your point and in a sense I agree, but I don't think we are in a position at the moment to play beautiful, flowing football.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

jastons wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:33 pm ...I don't think we are in a position at the moment to play beautiful, flowing football.
But we are in a position to try.

Ugly does not = winning.

Attractive does not = losing.

One of the biggest fallacies in football is that an industrial style of play results in more points. It doesn't.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

jastons wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:33 pm I get your point and in a sense I agree, but I don't think we are in a position at the moment to play beautiful, flowing football.
I’d settle for doing the basics right! Leicester were hardly playing like Barcelona last night. They just did the simple stuff well, had decent movement and were not afraid to commit their fullbacks in attack.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Dear Statto's...

Can you kindly advise Arthur and Noble's passing statistics for the game ?
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Anyone else think we should skip the Liverpool thread and go straight onto the brighton one? :D
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

irving boleyn wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:49 pm Dear Statto's...

Can you kindly advise Arthur and Noble's passing statistics for the game ?
Have a look here mate

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/13760 ... r-West-Ham
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm But we are in a position to try.
True. At times it feels like we barely even trying to play one way or another. Two shots on target says we didn't try to play attacking football and create tons of chances. 4 goals conceded (albeit 2 late on) says we didn't try and keep it tight at the back either.
MB wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:47 pm I’d settle for doing the basics right!
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

The gulf in class between Leicester and us was clear to see. They are a top 6 Premier League side,we are a bottom 4 side who will soon be sliding into the relegation zone. I remember chatting to some foxes fans in the pub before we played them last time we were in the Championship. We were the bigger club and clear favourites, how the fortunes of both teams have changed. Oh to have owners who are half as good as theirs.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Coops wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 pm The gulf in class between Leicester and us was clear to see. They are a top 6 Premier League side,we are a bottom 4 side who will soon be sliding into the relegation zone. I remember chatting to some foxes fans in the pub before we played them last time we were in the Championship. We were the bigger club and clear favourites, how the fortunes of both teams have changed. Oh to have owners who are half as good as theirs.
There is a gulf in class, yes
But if every game was decided by who had the best players there would be no point playing any games
There is a gulf in class between Man City and Palace, between us and AFC Wimbledon, between Leicester and Burnley, between Norwich and Man City...i could go on

The gulf in class is not big enough that we set up to hang on to a point for dear life, and to have 3 shots in total in the entire game, whilst allowing them 20
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I think we did set up too defensively last night but I can understand why Moyes did it. Let’s have it right though, Leicester are better than us in every department, on paper and on grass. Throw in the absence of Antonio and Anderson and it was always a big ask to get anything at their place. Also if we go in at half time one down rather than two like we should’ve there just might’ve been a point in it for us.

In the context of the game Masuaku’s inexplicable, ball watching, ludicrously out of position negligence for their second, is one of the single most abysmal things I’ve seen from a West Ham player in a very long time......and that’s up against some pretty stiff competition.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:41 am Yeah, lets be happy that the player who has more goals and assists than anyone else per minute, and who always puts in 100% committed performances week in week out is injured

Brilliant

I can't answer every one of you, but my point is, those committed performances are around 5/10 most weeks and if that is acceptable to you, it isn't to me. He is not the only one, mind you, but let's not forget, the only reason we have him at all, is because we couldn't afford anybody else. Let's also not forget, we packed him off to Villa on loan, when they were in the Championship, his level incidentally and when they didn't make it back at the first time of asking and another manager later, we took him back. I seem to remember, he was the butt of all jokes on here at one point and had it not been for Pellers seeing something in him, a couple of other managers couldn't, chances are, he would've been sold long ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is a terrible player, its just that I don't think he is a particularly good one and at 30 whatever he is and if we have now reached the point whereby all we ask is that is O K to set the bar at such a low level, so long as you show a bit of passion now and again, that is alright by us
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

The bloke who stood next to me yesterday made a good point when there was a longer breakdown in play. All the Leicester players seemed to go directly to Rodgers instructions, the most i saw from us was Rice and Noble, everyone else seemed to just group up and have a chat.
Crouchend_Hammer

Morocco Mole wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm I think we did set up too defensively last night but I can understand why Moyes did it. Let’s have it right though, Leicester are better than us in every department, on paper and on grass. Throw in the absence of Antonio and Anderson and it was always a big ask to get anything at their place. Also if we go in at half time one down rather than two like we should’ve there just might’ve been a point in it for us.

In the context of the game Masuaku’s inexplicable, ball watching, ludicrously out of position negligence for their second, is one of the single most abysmal things I’ve seen from a West Ham player in a very long time......and that’s up against some pretty stiff competition.
As discussed by a few people on here, he wasn't out of position to start with, and he wasn't ball watching. Once Chillwell got the ball he made the decision to mark Tielemans who was much more of a threat when the move was developing

If our right side of defence and CM doesn't allow the freedom of Leicester to Chillwell to first get the ball, and then wave him through to make a pass across the box with no challenge at all, there is no problem
Crouchend_Hammer

Puff Daddy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:45 pm I can't answer every one of you, but my point is, those committed performances are around 5/10 most weeks and if that is acceptable to you, it isn't to me. He is not the only one, mind you, but let's not forget, the only reason we have him at all, is because we couldn't afford anybody else. Let's also not forget, we packed him off to Villa on loan, when they were in the Championship, his level incidentally and when they didn't make it back at the first time of asking and another manager later, we took him back. I seem to remember, he was the butt of all jokes on here at one point and had it not been for Pellers seeing something in him, a couple of other managers couldn't, chances are, he would've been sold long ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is a terrible player, its just that I don't think he is a particularly good one and at 30 whatever he is and if we have now reached the point whereby all we ask is that is O K to set the bar at such a low level, so long as you show a bit of passion now and again, that is alright by us
1 out of 10, 5 out of 10, 10 out of 10 is not that relevant
He scores and creates more than any of our other midfielders or creative players
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

Watching Liverpool warm up on the pitch now before their match against Wolves ....they are working harder than we did in 90 mins last night !
Soulman58

Post by Soulman58 »

I said it months ago, if you have full backs who either cant run or defend, a pace less team just about everywhere, you will struggle in the vast majority of games. When you add in tactic less managers, a captain who cannot motivate but is happy playing silly pranks on social media you end up where we are!!
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Soulman58 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 pm I said it months ago, if you have full backs who either cant run or defend, a pace less team just about everywhere, you will struggle in the vast majority of games. When you add in tactic less managers, a captain who cannot motivate but is happy playing silly pranks on social media you end up where we are!!
You forgot abject, clueless, inept, pathetic, greedy, thieving owners