David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2367 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Ozza »

coyi27 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 pm I’ll always wonder what could have been if we got Bielsa in 2015. That year with Slav was incredible but with Bielsa we’d have an attacking football identity. He’s taken a below average Leeds side and made them into favourites for the league without any money spent. If anyone watched their game against Arsenal they had 15 shots and played them of the park with quick passes and movement. Shows you what can be done when you get the right manager.
He told our owners to do one once he understood how this club was run
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Ozza wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 pm Just out of interest where’s that fella gone who slagged off everyone who voted that they didn’t want Moyes

Post after post
Posting now as Ironing Board.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Vic_Watson wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:58 pm Posting now as Ironing Board.
What tosh!
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

What do you think about the question I posed earlier, IB?

Do you genuinely reckon any other Premier league teams would have given Moyes a go? And if not, why not?

Because, I just can’t believe that in a World where football is the most popular sport on the planet, why the 18th richest club in the world would hire a manager who couldn’t get a job in most other top flight leagues?
Last edited by Turns to Stone on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Turns to Stone wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 pm What do you think about the question I posed earlier, IB?

Do you genuinely reckon any other Premier league teams would have given Moyes a go? And if not, why not?

Because, I just can’t believe that in a World where football is the most popular sport on the planet, why the 18th richest club in the country would hire a manager who couldn’t get a job in most other top flight leagues?
18th richest club in the world is it not?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

BondsoBob wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 pm 18th richest club in the world is it not?
Quite right, duly amended.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

A manager nobody else wanted and a squad of players nobody else wants , Well done GSB :thdn:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Turns to Stone wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 pm why the 18th richest club in the world would hire a manager who couldn’t get a job in most other top flight leagues?
Because they are so toxic, the rest of the footballing world have sussed them right out, and no manager worth their salts will no longer work for them - and I wouldn't be surprised that's also the reason for total lack of signings so far - nobody wants to deal with them anymore. Nobody. Their name is mud, I'm convinced of it.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

61dicksey wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 pm A manager nobody else wanted and a squad of players nobody else wants , Well done GSB :thdn:
You forgot, a stadium nobody else would want.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:42 pm no manager worth their salts will no longer work for them.
Ironing Board would disagree.
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

61dicksey wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 pm A manager nobody else wanted and a squad of players nobody else wants , Well done GSB :thdn:
BondsoBob wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:47 pm You forgot, a stadium nobody else would want.
For some reason those 2 posts really brought it home to me.

The bastards really have destroyed us, haven’t they?
Graza

Post by Graza »

brothernero wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:42 pm I asked this yesterday and I want to ask it again, now many have calmed down after yesterdays latest 4-1 drubbing.

If Moyes keeps us up, is he the right man to push us forward. Or do we keep him and just aim for 17th+ each year.

If We do get relegated will he be the right man for a promotion push, if we do then fail first time around, do we still stick with him.

Or and this is a scary thought, if he does keep us up and we once again part ways and look elsewhere, do we then go back for him a 3rd time when the owners have once again balled it right up.

Only at West Ham United. Next Level my Arse.
I wasn't even upset at losing 4-1 yesterday. I thought we'd lose. I thought it'd be by 3, I didn't expect us to score so I wasn't surprised enough to get annoyed.

If he keeps us up the board will honor his contract, he'll get a pittance to spend and a year to do what he can. If he keeps us up more comfortably next season the board will want to keep him on some more and will do so unless the mood music from the stands is very unhappy and aimed at the board, even then they might. Pushing us forward isn't a concern of our owners which is why our training facilities, scout network, youth set up and stadium are all a joke.

If we get relegated I can see them blaming Moyes (and Pellers) and giving him the boot. They will then dig just deep enough (read reinvest only just enough of the money they'll get from selling half the squad at firesale prices because they aren't good enough negotiators to get full whack) to scrape together a team that can make the playoffs in the hopes of cheaper promotion than actually spending money. Who will they get in? They'd love BFS but I suspect the back lash would be too much, Pullis? Again depends on the backlash but it will be someone like that.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

hadleighhammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 pm Ironing Board would disagree.
Zero ****'s given to be honest mate 👌
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Turns to Stone wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:31 pm What do you think about the question I posed earlier, IB?

Because, I just can’t believe that in a World where football is the most popular sport on the planet, why the 18th richest club in the world would hire a manager who couldn’t get a job in most other top flight leagues?
It’s a moot point, but Everton were giving him the job until Ancelotti became free. I mean, how often does a team like Everton get the chance to be managed by a three time Champions League winner.

And even Ancelotti is struggling after inheriting the mess over there.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

IB must be on piece rates.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 pm It’s a moot point, but Everton were giving him the job until Ancelotti became free. I mean, how often does a team like Everton get the chance to be managed by a three time Champions League winner.

And even Ancelotti is struggling after inheriting the mess over there.
With the money they are chucking about at Everton it's not surprising. Us getting Pellegrini despite the years of penny pinching was a surprise. If someone had been given the budget he had his first year then we got him the year after that would have been less so.

I also very much doubt Moyes was anything other than on a list for the Everton job. Their fans would have been even less receptive than we've been. I reckon even Brighton if they do decide to change things wouldn't have given him a second look, hell look at Fulham last year - not a sniff.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Graza wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm
If someone had been given the budget he had his first year then we got him the year after that would have been less so.
I don’t understand what that means.

On the other point, it doesn’t matter whether you believe it or not. That is what the situation is supposed to have been.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:40 pm I don’t understand what that means.

On the other point, it doesn’t matter whether you believe it or not. That is what the situation is supposed to have been.
I mean Pellegrini going to a club that had spent the minimum for years was more surprising than Anchelloti going to a club that has been spending consistently for a couple of seasons. Had we had our single summer of expenditure the season before we got Pellegrini it would have been a less shocking appointment just as the Everton appointment is not shocking at all given their ambition and the backing they have already shown for it.

"Supposed" according to whom. A few reports that he'd spoken to them, nothing about it being a done deal or anything more than sounding out. Unless we hear someone from their hierarchy say that he was #1 until they heard Anchelloti was available then there is no evidence it was more than an option they were considering.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Graza wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 pm With the money they are chucking about at Everton it's not surprising. Us getting Pellegrini despite the years of penny pinching was a surprise. If someone had been given the budget he had his first year then we got him the year after that would have been less so.

I also very much doubt Moyes was anything other than on a list for the Everton job. Their fans would have been even less receptive than we've been. I reckon even Brighton if they do decide to change things wouldn't have given him a second look, hell look at Fulham last year - not a sniff.
Everton are lucky, from a certain perspective, in that they are being supported by two dodgy foreign billionaires.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Graza wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm I mean Pellegrini going to a club that had spent the minimum for years was more surprising than Anchelloti going to a club that has been spending consistently for a couple of seasons. Had we had our single summer of expenditure the season before we got Pellegrini it would have been a less shocking appointment just as the Everton appointment is not shocking at all given their ambition and the backing they have already shown for it.
Perhaps. But I still think Pellers was basically just taking the job to feather his nest after his poor spell in China. I mean, Ancelotti is in a different league to Pellers - a genuine all-time great manager.