David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:20 pm Using the rationale that Pelligrini has spent more than others doesn't tell the whole picture

Manager A spends 100m but all other teams spend 50m. He comes 7th

Manager B spends 200m but all other teams spend 250m. He comes 10th

Clearly Manager B is doing better despite spending more
We've signed a £45m centre forward who appears to be Brian Deane. A back up striker who appears to be worse than Calleri and Fletcher.

We've spent nearly £80m on attacking midfielders who are being outscored by Robert Snodgrass,

We've found a goalkeeper worse than Allen McKnight. It only took 30 years, but we finally did it.

We've renewed or given long contracts to three of the slowest players in the league, and we play them in central midfield or at full back.

It's an utter cock-up.

Nothing can wash that away. Nothing.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:04 pm Three wins and three losses is better than 1 win and 5 draws
I agree, but Pellegrini’s last three wins was in a run of two draws and nine defeats (if you don’t count Oxford). Pellegrini would still be in a job if he had managed what you have mentioned.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 pm We've signed a £45m centre forward who appears to be Brian Deane. A back up striker who appears to be worse than Calleri and Fletcher.

We've spent nearly £80m on attacking midfielders who are being outscored by Robert Snodgrass,

We've found a goalkeeper worse than Allen McKnight. It only took 30 years, but we finally did it.

We've renewed or given long contracts to three of the slowest players in the league, and we play them in central midfield or at full back.

It's an utter cock-up.

Really cant argue with any of that. Would be amusing if it wasnt so ****ing sad.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Brown Sauce wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 am That’s exactly what they are saying & it’s true. Last three games we’ve set up not to lose & taken 1 point. Leicester in particular he got it very wrong.
So yes I’m saying a different coach could/would get different results.
That's my biggest criticism (outside of our recruitment 'strategy'). Setting up not to lose is fine if that is what you achieve but we are setting up not to lose and still loosing. The point against Everton came after we gave away a one goal lead. Everton haven't come from behind to win in the league since 2017, I think.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 pm We've spent nearly £80m on attacking midfielders who are being outscored by Robert Snodgrass,
Not true.

Snodgrass 3 goals

Fornals 1
Anderson 1
Yarmolenko 3

:eh:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm Not true.

Snodgrass 3 goals

Fornals 1
Anderson 1
Yarmolenko 3

:eh:
Okay I'll rephrase - he's just outscoring £60m worth, and he's level with Yarmolenko.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

The Pellegrini point that has been posed above is a simple case of being replaced due to failing to advance our status as a football team. Why Moyes ? Because he was available and was possibly reappointed for not being given the full chance previously before being replaced by Pellegrini.
Pango

Post by Pango »

student_hammer wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 am Just don’t understand the Moyes sympathisers at all. Any excuse not to criticise him.

Honest Questions, for those that see him as the football management messiah: - 'No one thinks that'

1. What do you like about his style of play - 'We wont see it until he has a chance to get his own players in to fit it'
2. Why do you think he is most likely to keep us up - 'No one else was realistically available at the time that fitted into the bracket'
3. Why is he the best man for the job - 'see answer 2'
4. Of the four premier league games he’s overseen on his return what has been the most encouraging aspect - 'there have been only 4 ... but Antonio coming on as sub semi fit was nice ... but Anderson just behind Haller looked very good until he got injured'
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 pm We've signed a £45m centre forward who appears to be Brian Deane. A back up striker who appears to be worse than Calleri and Fletcher.

It's an utter cock-up.

I thought Sullivan was responsible for buying our players? :wink:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

As posted by Eastliegh on the Transfer thread...

David Moyes - "I think we're playing with quite a lot of confidence and showing that in our games. I think the two late goals on Wednesday turned an okay performance into a really bad one."

ha ha ha ha ha
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Relegation confirmed.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

No Dave, the 2 late goals turned a 2-1 defeat into a 4-1 defeat.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:26 pm As posted by Eastliegh on the Transfer thread...

David Moyes - "I think we're playing with quite a lot of confidence and showing that in our games. I think the two late goals on Wednesday turned an okay performance into a really bad one."

ha ha ha ha ha
As I replied to this there I might as well post it here to.

Classic Manager speak for "we were **** but I'm not gonna throw my players under a bus publicly as they currently have the self confidence of a snowman attending a bonfire"
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:26 pm As posted by Eastliegh on the Transfer thread...

ha ha ha ha ha
Oh well at least I will be able to finally get tickets to see a game next season
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I can’t see the point of people who insult Pellegrini, to the levels of calling him a fraud or the people who just chuck swear words into his name to be real cool.

The guy did a decent job until he didn’t. He did a decent job for a season and a bad one for about half, a bit less. He was also left a couple players short in a crucial way.

Moyes so far hasn’t shown he can do much about it. Did he have a new manager bounce last time either?

Set Piece Menu (the best football podcast about) did a recent one on how they see the most common factor in successful managers as charisma, in different ways. I think a better word for what they described was credibility.

Players have to believe in you. For some it’s because your methods are good and you improve them, for some it’s that personality combined with good ideas, others it’s a history of success.

Does Moyes have that charisma or credibility any longer? He may have after Everton, but did the failures after put a stop to that? However IB might spin it here, that won’t be happening in the dressing room or when the players call their agents or when they go on international duty/talk to former teammates.

Does he walk in the door and inspire Haller, Anderson, Diop? Does he even hold that charisma with Noble, Cresswell and Lanzini, three of our more experienced players? His spell last time did enough, but it didn’t do a lot.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:43 pm Okay I'll rephrase - he's just outscoring £60m worth, and he's level with Yarmolenko.
How about rephrasing it as Snodgrass is outscoring a 23 year old who has played mostly bit parts in his first season in English football, a player woefully out of form and is level with a player who's been injured for most of the season.

Just looking at things financially is very limited (imo). Pelligrini spent a lot but I think he bought quality players...we're in no way getting the best out of them but thats now Moyes problem.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Whatever your feelings on Moyes, there is one stat that keeps coming back about the previous manager.

1 point in six home games between mid September and New Year's Day.

You cannot defend a record like that. The wins at Chelsea and Southampton do not make up for that.

The last two defeats were the worst of them all.

I'd seen enough at the Arsenal defeat - I wanted him gone then.

The appointment of Moyes is underwhelming and typical of the shysters running our club.

I do believe he knows where we are as a Club, I personally am more confident of staying up with him than Pellers but I think the whole club is so badly run our luck may run out this season. If it does so be it.

I know where the blame lays and it isn't Moyes.
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

ha ha ha ha ha
Jesus christ
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

ha ha ha ha ha
Did the idiot really say that. :lol:

Leicester could have had double figures.

Once we are in the championship and sitting in the bottom half there will still be certain posters on here harking back to his Everton days and claiming what a great manager he is.

He was never a great manager even then, he was a good manager and nothing special. But football moves on and moves quickly. David Moyes has and never will change and that is why no other team wanted him as their manager. Even Championship teams, League 1 teams and foreign teams.

Christ even Pardew ended up being more desirable than Moyes.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm Pelligrini spent a lot but I think he bought quality players...we're in no way getting the best out of them but thats now Moyes problem.
I agree, we're short on numbers and quality in certain areas but that's down to the powers that be.

It's now Moyes' problem but one thing that seems to be conveniently over looked by a number of posters is that these attacking players confidence and performances were destroyed under Pellegrini's stewardship. I say I'm this as a fully signed up member of the Pellergrini fan club.
Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm Does he walk in the door and inspire Haller, Anderson, Diop? Does he even hold that charisma with Noble, Cresswell and Lanzini, three of our more experienced players? His spell last time did enough, but it didn’t do a lot.
He may not but, by the end, for whatever reason neither did Pellergrini. Moyes can actually be heard on the touchline encouraging them to play with confidence. Is he the right man for the job, I dunno, possibly, possibly not. I do think however, that with GSB at the wheel, we ain't likely to get much better.