The Golf Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:59 pm Cheers JBB.

I did look on golfbidder the other day but didn't know how credible they were.

I will most likely buy new if I am going to shell out a few hundred quid anyway, but understand the I500 set is out my range.

The X Hot have quite a big cavity, but I prefer a sleeker look. The Taylormade M4/M6 irons looked about right and look to be within budget.

I will be going for a fitting with a bloke recommended by my golf coach, he doesn't sell anything so can give an unbiased assessment.
have a look at cobra irons.. when I next buy irons (years away) ill be considering cobra.. I currently have titleist 716 AP1 however have borrowed a mates cobra f8 irons a couple times for shots just around the course and they felt so pure

best to go get fit then go through golfbidder for your spec.. someone might have traded in a hardly used set.. save a few quid
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Cheers both,

There seems to be so much choice out there nowadays and I doubt much of the 'technology' would really make much of a difference for me. Although i haven't got an official handicap, I'm about a 20 so the Callawa Rogue seem decent enough and around 500 quid for 4-PW, or the Rogue Pro (slightly more compact head) for 460 ish for 5-PW.

I'll have to go down American golf and try them out but they should last me at least another 5 years or so!
chelmsfordhammer91

Played again Saturday,we had some bloke join our two ball, which we were fine with.

He only joined us for 9 holes, played quite decent but scored the same as me.

He mentioned halfway through he has the captain last year (cue extra care on fixing plug marks etc.!

Nice bloke, except being a Man Utd fan, and I didn't make myself look a right tit!

We tee'd off at quarter to noon, just about got round before it was too dark,had to let a two ball behind us tee off with us at the last as the group in front caught up with a women's two ball who had slowed the course down.

All in all, a relatively pleasurable round given the weather.
chelmsfordhammer91

Decent enough round today although inconsistent and very wet and muddy.

Last 3 rounds have been 18 over, 25 over then today was 23.

Could have played much better but anything off the fairway was easily two shots lost. Even some of the fairways had big puddles so no roll.

Looking forward to the spring!

Going to Dale Hill on 20th March for a golf weekend. We have 17 of us confirmed so a good turnout. Never played there but looks fairly decent. Anyone played there before?
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:01 pm Decent enough round today although inconsistent and very wet and muddy.

Last 3 rounds have been 18 over, 25 over then today was 23.

Could have played much better but anything off the fairway was easily two shots lost. Even some of the fairways had big puddles so no roll.

Looking forward to the spring!

Going to Dale Hill on 20th March for a golf weekend. We have 17 of us confirmed so a good turnout. Never played there but looks fairly decent. Anyone played there before?
Where did you play?

Cranham has apparently been closed 3 days this week after that rain .... Now got an electric trolly ban..

Haven't played this year yet looking to play wednesday

Been a very wet few months but apparently next week is driest spell since sept
chelmsfordhammer91

I play The Essex, Earls Colne.

There is a trolley ban in place but I carry anyway. The course was only shut one or two days, but there have been a couple more days where only 9 were open, then alternated.

This has been the wettest I have seen it. Hopefully should dry off quickly as the drainage is really good as it is built on an old war airfield. The airfield at the back is still up and running so a few holes next to the runway are a lot dryer.

Going to look to play Benton Hall in Witham (10 mins up the A12 from Chelmsford. My membership at the Essex gets me free access to about a dozen other courses as part of The Club Company.
chelmsfordhammer91

Benton Hall is quite a bit shorter than the Essex, being around 5950 yards off the yellows compared to 6650 at the Essex.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

If you're looking to start the game, you could do a lot worse than this set of clubs.

Ten clubs by one of the top makes, these are an absolute bargain. The "world famous store" is Costco in case you hadn't figured it out, and you won't get them anywhere else.

Rick Shiels is one of the better Youtube golf pros, and if something's not right he'll say so.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:06 pm If you're looking to start the game, you could do a lot worse than this set of clubs.

Ten clubs by one of the top makes, these are an absolute bargain. The "world famous store" is Costco in case you hadn't figured it out, and you won't get them anywhere else.

Rick Shiels is one of the better Youtube golf pros, and if something's not right he'll say so.
Very decent set indeed. I watched that video and thought that not only new to game but anyone looking for a cheap second set for maybe a holiday home or to leave at their golf club (if members and have a locker) could do a lot worse than that set
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Played nazeing this week in the frost

Had to attempt to play like links as any height on the ball into the greens (they were rock) would mean your ball would cannon up into the air and over the back by 10 yards .. shame if you had to go high for say a bunker shot or going over a bunker before hand

Anyways decided this year (apart from societies where I can't just change my handicap) that socially I'm playing off 24 .. so to score 26 points in those conditions I was pleased with
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Wife decided to have an afternoon nap when little lady had one yesterday

This left me at a loss what to do

So I mistakenly looked at my golf bank account.. not played much this winter so had a nice amount in there

Pulled the trigger on a Garmin s60 approach

Managed to get for £242 using a discount code so pleased with that

Does look good I must say

Roll on friday to test it
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Nazeing again today

Total mud bath. Little run out

Played off 24 again.. hopefully a sign of things to come

Managed to hit 38 points

Went out in 16 after a start of 5 doubles on the bounce

Just knuckled down and came back much better

Now to clean my gear
chelmsfordhammer91

I'm hopefully going to buy my new irons at the end of the month, ultimately opting for the Callaway rogue pro.

I went to American golf yesterday to have a look at a few sets and the only useful thing from that was seeing that almost all the sets I've been looking at are much of a muchness in terms of style/shape.

I do like the ping i500s, but they are the best part of a grand.

I've looked on golfbidder, and I will only save about 50 quid buying a decent second hand set rather than new, so going to opt for new.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Callaway Rogue Pro irons review

Rick Shiels review. In case you don't know him, he's one of the better Youtube golf pros.
chelmsfordhammer91

Cheers JBB.

I am a subscriber to Rick, and also Mark Crossfield/Dan Hendrickson.

They did decent reviews of the rogue range, and as I already play with the X hot,I want to keep to Callaway if possible.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm Cheers JBB.

I am a subscriber to Rick, and also Mark Crossfield/Dan Hendrickson.

They did decent reviews of the rogue range, and as I already play with the X hot,I want to keep to Callaway if possible.
Such an exciting time when you change equipment getting to try everything out and see what's best

Sometimes it's the last thing you expect

I had pings for years .. loved them.. when I came to change last time I moved to Titleist they gave me good performance

Never thought I'd play Titleist but turns out they make clubs for people who are rubbish
chelmsfordhammer91

I don't know if it has always been like this but the amount of choice is unreal.

There is a range for every price band and the technological jargon is crazy.

Rick Shiels did a video where he bought a scavenger set from sports direct for like 70 quid,including putter, driver, bag etc. He didn't score any worse really than with his playing set.

As I've waited longer than I thought to get new clubs, I'm tempted to stretch to the maverik irons, but they are around 650 quid.

That Costco callaway set is unbelievable though, I doubt they are any worse than my current x hot set (still missing a 6 and 7 iron lol).
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Callaway UK do free, no obligation to buy fitting sessions at their UK HQ in Chessington (in the same business park as Golfbidder, as it happens). You have to book through an authorised dealer or club shop though, you can't do it direct. As my local club shop is a Callaway dealer I'm sorely tempted to have a fitting. It's a bit further for you from Chelmsford, but quite close to the M25.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Playing Maylands tomorrow in a golf networking thing. Not expecting much though as my last round was shocking at cranham last month
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:37 am Playing Maylands tomorrow in a golf networking thing. Not expecting much though as my last round was shocking at cranham last month
Be interesting to know how wet it is

So many places staying closed to drain

I've pulled out my golf day Thursday and done overtime instead .. toot hill keep closing and I'm not risking not playing to sit at home twiddling my thumbs

Decided to join ingrbourne links until July .. they offer a deal 5 day membership £62.50 a month including 7 day gym until July (prob when the full 18 opens)