The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Peaches »

Soucek would be a start. We still need at least two more players, a right back, a striker and if possible another central midfielder, but one with more pace.
I know it probably won’t happen, but if we could stretch to £15m or £17m for Matty Cash, wed be 2/3 of the way there.
I know Piatek has better options than us, but Milan are now open to a loan deal with an obligation to buy, which apparently is not something Tottenham want to consider. If we could make the obligation contingent on us staying up, it would be perfect for us.

Cash, Soucek and Piatek would give us a real chance of staying up and allow us to play 4-4-2, They are also young and capable of being part of a core to build for the future around.

. Fabianski

Cash Diop. Ogbonna. Cresswell

Antonio Soucek Rice Anderson/Fornals

. Piatek. Haller

Subs: Randolph, Fredericks, Balbuena, Noble, Fornals/Anderson, Lanzini, Ajeti

Depth : Snodgrass, Masuaku, Yarmolenko, Martin, Zabaleta, Cardoso, Johnson, Silva

Off to MLS: Reid

Cast off : Wilshere, Sanchez, Roberto

Cash and Antonio down the right side would be very intimidating for opposing left flanks.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

If these are all Sullivan specials then I want them to fail.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Zero confidence the manager even heard of this Czech bloke before Sullivan told him "It's this fella or nothing". We currently have no hope of winning games without Noble and signing the Czech Harvard Nordveit isn't going to solve any of our problems.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Doylaz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:19 am Please tell me how it is a good idea to move our best midfielder to centre back? Rice has been getting better at going forward as the season has progressed so it seems very odd that you would want to weaken our midfield and put him at CB.
Agreed, England call up etc etc. When Rice leaves us, he will be playing in midfield I am sure of it for whichever team picks him up. I just can't believe that during these shitty times we aren't trying any youngsters...Gotta be demotivating as a youth player here to know that the first team squad can play like donkeys week in week out and you still will never get a sniff.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Soucek will be Moyes's secret weapon. A young Fellaini. He's not all just arms and elbows though. By all accounts, he's a very good player too and a smart defender. This may worry some people but I welcome it. We've been ineffective from set pieces for too long.
traxop

Post by traxop »

If this Soucek is in anyway shape or form remotely competent, then I would at the very least expect Moyes to tell the other of the midfield pairing to be more adventurous and drive forward at every opportunity.

I posted on that Leicester game thread saying that the few runs Masukau did make on the wings always ended up with him having no option to pass to. Cresswell wasn't overlapping, and there was no one in the middle to recycle the ball to. Most of the time, it just ended up with us losing possession as Masuakau tried to forced his run, we made it very easy for them to defend against.

I'm also hoping we can rotate Snodgrass to the bench for most of our games. I like Snodgrass, but as an attacking option, he's a curious square peg in a round hole. His deliveries are naturally in-swingers and that's hardly what's needed when you're playing a lone striker. As long as the defender 'fronts' Haller square on, the lone forward will never be able to make the run towards the ball that's always going away from him(the defender just have to square him, blocks his run and the ball will drift out or into the keeper).

Snodgrass' deliveries are fine in set pieces because here, there's an extra dimension of a far post where additional attackers can arrive onto. It doesn't work if the defenders can just play the man and not have to worry about the ball getting behind them. We really need to create more from open play and for that to happen we need round pegs in round holes.

If we are to have any chance of avoiding relegation, we have to address the issue of balance. Hopefully, whichever midfielder comes through can start to address that, but it's also up to Moyes to be brave. He can't keep being negative and setting us up for a draw-first scenario against the likes of Brighton or Leicester for that matter. Lesser/Lower league teams have shown more willingness to express themselves.

No supporter signs up willingly to watch their team sit 10 deep behind the ball, to cling on for dear life and I'm sure the players haven't either. We've got some good players and it's time for them to express themselves.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

2019 Czech league player of the year sounds like he might be almost not bad.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Do you reckon Sue Check will be signed before the Liverpool game.. Just to be safe, otherwise we may have to restrain him.
Aurora borealis
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Aurora borealis »

johnnyb wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:06 pm Let's hope this Soucek bloke doesn't watch the game on Wednesday. If he does, he'll be on the first plane back to Prague.
Nah.. He will watch he´s wage bill and join the joggers..
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

miles wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 am Zero confidence the manager even heard of this Czech bloke before Sullivan told him "It's this fella or nothing". We currently have no hope of winning games without Noble and signing the Czech Harvard Nordveit isn't going to solve any of our problems.
Tbf nearly all managers get players foisted upon them these days. Spurs are buying someone from netherlands that they were chasing a long way before Mourinho came along.

Our problem at the moment is not so much that the manager doesn't have complete control of transfers (which is usual) but who is involved in the process!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

traxop wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:23 am If this Soucek is in anyway shape or form remotely competent, then I would at the very least expect Moyes to tell the other of the midfield pairing to be more adventurous and drive forward at every opportunity.

I posted on that Leicester game thread saying that the few runs Masukau did make on the wings always ended up with him having no option to pass to. Cresswell wasn't overlapping, and there was no one in the middle to recycle the ball to. Most of the time, it just ended up with us losing possession as Masuakau tried to forced his run, we made it very easy for them to defend against.

If we are to have any chance of avoiding relegation, we have to address the issue of balance. Hopefully, whichever midfielder comes through can start to address that, but it's also up to Moyes to be brave. He can't keep being negative and setting us up for a draw-first scenario against the likes of Brighton or Leicester for that matter. Lesser/Lower league teams have shown more willingness to express themselves.

No supporter signs up willingly to watch their team sit 10 deep behind the ball, to cling on for dear life and I'm sure the players haven't either. We've got some good players and it's time for them to express themselves.
It is interesting because the team that comes closest to playing three 'defensive' midfielders is Liverpool and they are 20 points clear!

However, they have a very unique set of players to make it work
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

jacko wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:56 am If these are all Sullivan specials then I want them to fail.

I know what you mean and I've got no time for Sully either, but you've got to admit, he's probably got a better eye for a player than Husillos, although that's not saying much
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Where and how do people get to watch Fortuna Liga in the UK to compare him to Fellaini, or even have a view on him at all?
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I disagree with the idea three so-called defensive midfielders doesn’t work.

Firstly, it suggests Soucek and Rice couldn’t do more than sit, which I don’t see as being the truth. Equally, formations are really overplayed as a discussion point; it’s what players do, not what they are drawn as.

Liverpool are a great comparison and actually work for us, just in a depressing way. They play a system to get the best from their full backs and three forwards. We need to do the same, but because both are inadequate and need to be protected. If you don’t expose a player to their weakness, they will look much better.

We’d have more points this season if we’d been able to play Obiang, Noble and Rice together. Berge/Kessie/Vieira/Soucek replacing the first two would be an upgrade.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

e17 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 am Where and how do people get to watch Fortuna Liga in the UK to compare him to Fellaini, or even have a view on him at all?
Don't know about the Fellaini comparisons, but he played against England last year, and looked decent. Apparently played against Chelsea in the Champions League, and stood out as well, otherwise I'm guessing people are basing opinions on YouTube videos and scouting reports..
gazzaA2

Post by gazzaA2 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:12 am It is interesting because the team that comes closest to playing three 'defensive' midfielders is Liverpool and they are 20 points clear!

However, they have a very unique set of players to make it work
Three defensive midfielders? Henderson is box to box. He's just had to cover for Fabinho. Wijnaldum is also a number 8 who does a bit of everything in midfield. Fabinho is the defensive mid but been out injured so not been playing all 3.

Keita is box to box and wouod start more but been injured. Lallana and Ox attacking mids.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:30 am Don't know about the Fellaini comparisons, but he played against England last year, and looked decent. Apparently played against Chelsea in the Champions League, and stood out as well, otherwise I'm guessing people are basing opinions on YouTube videos and scouting reports..
Well they won’t be West Ham scouting reports because we haven’t ****ing got any!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Ten years of Sully in the last week of a January window linking us to all and sundry and you know he will come out at the end and say there just wasn't enough time blah blah blah.

Liverpool signed a bloke before the window even opened, why not us.

Here's an idea Sully do the research in November start the ****ing negotiating on January 1st and finish the deals by the first week of January and we would have 12 more points in the table. :x
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

I don't think Sullivan has heard of this fella. The scout report literally screams "Moyes type player", he's had similiar before. Very solid, strong defender with lethal skills coming in the box for crosses, especially heading - like Fellaini or Cahill

https://footballbh.net/2019/11/25/tomas ... s-tactics/

If the link is genuine, if he'll come or not is another question, but if he signs you can bet it's only reactionary from the midget because of the noise.
"This will shut them up" - it's obviously nothing anywhere near enough
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If he turns out to be a good player it'll be Sully's signing. If he's :thdn: it'll be a Moyes signing. :thup: