The January Transfer Window 2020

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Re: The January Transfer Window 2020

Post by Believer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm I agree with you in your principle. Leaves a sout taste in my mouth but that is the modern game for you

He should be confident he will help us stay up and if not then don't sign for us

However, it is what it is these days
Thing is, there's hardly a queue of teams waiting to sign him. Leeds wouldn't pay up. Newcastle wouldn't pay the wages, Palace wouldn't pay the full amount and Villa weren't even interested by all accounts.

I think he will be a good signing and in all honesty, you'll probably find most players are stroppy and demanding, but he is hardly going to endear himself to the support if he is already looking for a way out.

I'm sure he will come out with all the right vocal if and when he signs but it's clear that he has made his demands known to various people and that is leaking to the media. All I will say is that he better be as good as he seems to think he is..
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Rozzop wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:12 pm You might want to direct your anger at the state of Reid, Cresswell, Noble, Yarmolenko, Wilshere, Zabaleta, Sanchez etc contracts

This is a good deal if it goes through.
1 billion per cent
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

Post by Rio »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:23 pmthere's going to be a lord of the rings scope epic about bowen's train journey to the olympic stadium.
There’s a hint of only at West Ham about this. Other clubs would fly in signings to get the deal done. We give ours an oyster card and let them loose on one of the most unreliable forms of travel in England
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

From that ExWHU bloke

@ExWHUemployee
·
10m
Last I heard is the club officials are expecting him at the stadium.

@ExWHUemployee
·
23m
There are still bits to be concluded at the stadium I believe this is why it’s taking so long. It’s hard to speak to the main people because they are obviously doing the deal at the moment.

He is at the stadium he is not at the stadium, and don't forget my podcast.

Headbanger
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

RayleighIrons wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:14 pm I saw on SSN that he was traveling down this morning for his medical, which would seem right as clubs like to use there own trusted people.
The same trusted people who gave Jack Wilshere the all clear?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Aceface wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:55 pm One thing's for sure, if we commit to £40m worth of (presumably unplanned for) transfers this month and factor in Pellegrini's pay-off, someone valuable is going to have to be sold in the summer, and perhaps two high value assets. The alternative is facing Roeder level transfer budget in July.
I would expect so. If we sign the Hull kid, then we'll have this surplus of wingers in the summer!:

Anderson
Antonio
Bowen
Diangana
Holland
Snodgrass
Yarmolenko

+ Fornals + Lanzini who have both also played wide for us.. I'd hope we'd sell at least 3 to fund improvements in other positions!
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

There wasn’t a clamour for Maddison either. Spurs and us had a nibble at around the £10m range and that was more or less it until Leicester came in.

And Maddison looked like as close as you can get to a sure thing. Bowen is probably the most hyped Champo player since then but I’d say has slightly more question marks over him than Maddison did. So not overly surprised the big fish haven’t bothered.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by chappo59 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:14 pm If he's worth £25m, why isn't anyone paying it?

Indeed, why aren't Man U, Spurs and Chelsea all after the bloke instead of Odian Ighalo?

What IS SULLIVAN seeing that the good clubs aren't?
Amended for you bubbles
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Rio wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:28 pm There’s a hint of only at West Ham about this. Other clubs would fly in signings to get the deal done. We give ours an oyster card and let them loose on one of the most unreliable forms of travel in England
guaranteed that he'll miss the deadline by the two minutes it takes to top it up since we didn't think to put any credit on it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

19:46

BOWEN LATEST
Sky Sports News reporter Kaveh Solhekol:
“A few hours ago the deal was being hold up by personal terms, particular his wages. West Ham are willing to pay him £80,000 per-week but they wanted a clause of his wages being halved if they were relegated. Obviously his agent didn’t want that clause – I’m not sure what’s happened with that clause but what I’m being told is the player is on his way to the London Stadium to meet David Moyes that would suggest the deal is almost done.”
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Spurs have been monitoring him for about 4 years I think. If Pochettino had been there they may have been in for him
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

If I had a £1 for every time I’ve seen ‘he’s on his way to London’ I’d be on £80k!
Shy Ted
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Oh what a circus, oh what a show
West Ham are going down
Over the death of the dead line at 11pm
We've all gone crazy
Mourning all day and mourning all night
Falling over ourselves to get Bowen to sign tonight.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

WestHamIFC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:30 pm I would expect so. If we sign the Hull kid, then we'll have this surplus of wingers in the summer!:

Anderson
Antonio
Bowen
Diangana
Holland
Snodgrass
Yarmolenko

+ Fornals + Lanzini who have both also played wide for us.. I'd hope we'd sell at least 3 to fund improvements in other positions!
Probably depends if we stay up or go down.

If we stay up, I'd expect Holland gets loaned to the Championship, Yarmolenko sold, Snodgrass moved on and probably Lanzini? Maybe not Lanzini depending on how we line up.

If we go down, Anderson, Bowen, Lanzini and Fornals are probably all gone, Yarmolenko possibly as well.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:05 pm They are closer to the playoffs by points than they are relegation...
They’ve lost Grosicki and probably losing Henriksen.

Tom Eaves is hot and miss and they’ve just signed two low calibre re-enforcements.

Bowen wouldn’t be able to do it alone and they’re two back to back defeats from a relegation battle.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Last time I wanted a signing to go through as much as this was Simone Zaza and we all know how that turned out!

Get the kid in, if he can have impact like the last player who had a relegation clause in Demba Ba, then we are onto a winner.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aceface wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm There wasn’t a clamour for Maddison either. Spurs and us had a nibble at around the £10m range and that was more or less it until Leicester came in.

And Maddison looked like as close as you can get to a sure thing. Bowen is probably the most hyped Champo player since then but I’d say has slightly more question marks over him than Maddison did. So not overly surprised the big fish haven’t bothered.
Ordinarily, I'd buy into the argument that they have bigger fish to fry so let those a bit further down take the punt.

I just find it a little odd at a time when Man U are supposedly chasing Odion Ighalo and Chelsea are clinging onto Giroud when they really don't want him that neither are prepared to drop some spare change on him.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I can't remember the last time we had a deadline day last minute signing.

Anyone?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5671 likes
Total likes: 3093 likes

Post by MB »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 pm Ordinarily, I'd buy into the argument that they have bigger fish to fry so let those a bit further down take the punt.

I just find it a little odd at a time when Man U are supposedly chasing Odion Ighalo and Chelsea are clinging onto Giroud when they really don't want him that neither are prepared to drop some spare change on him.
But he isn’t a lead the line type which is what Man Utd, Spurs and Chelsea need. Spurs just signed a winger too.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 pm Ordinarily, I'd buy into the argument that they have bigger fish to fry so let those a bit further down take the punt.

I mean, there is a difference between paying 20M+ for a 1.75 m winger/mobile forward, and holding your 1.93m immoble Striker or bringing in a 1.83M striker for free.

Not only is the price obviously different, they play completely different roles. It's like the difference betwen Rice and Lanzini, sure they are both "midfielders" but their skills, size and roles are completely different