Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Samba »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:13 pm Too much of this cuntishness behaviour been going on for the last few seasons.

Mind you, how did he get the beer past our impressively alert stewards?
Held it in his hand as he walked past them?
OR, it was an empty plastic 'glass' that he'd pissed in..
Either way, no one should throw anything, even if you're sitting at the front, let alone further back when you're definitely going to hit a fellow fan.
I understand the anger but..
It does sound like the error of his ways was pointed out to him though..
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

square off the stands, push them all up to the pitch, close the upper tier.

it would be a joke to look at but would make for a much better atmosphere while accomodating the 25k odd WHU supporters who will still go when we're in the championship.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:29 pm square off the stands, push them all up to the pitch, close the upper tier.

it would be a joke to look at but would make for a much better atmosphere while accomodating the 25k odd WHU supporters who will still go when we're in the championship.
What about the 50,000 punters who have been patiently waiting on Karrens's season ticket waiting list, for the last 4 years?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’ve been on the pitch with the lower tier pushed back for the Muse gig. It seemed absolutely massive. It actually looked far better without the gaps but as has been said a million times totally unsuitable for football.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:37 am The security checks have noticeably stepped up in the last month - presume they’re worried about anti-board stuff.
There should be security measures to prevent people from leaving 15 minutes before the end
darklake

Post by darklake »

Went to the Principality Stadium on Saturday to watch Wales v Italy in the 6 Nations. Not Welsh or a rugby fan but eldest daughter lives in Cardiff and her boyfriend is a big rugby fan and convinced me to go with them. Amazing experience for me whose now used to the London stadium. 68,000 sell out. Getting through security was similar to our place but inside I saw no issues with stewards, they were at the entrance to the seating areas and would point you in the right direction for your seat and that's it, didn't see them again and no one seemed to need them. You could take your beer to your seat, didnt see any problems, you could stand or sit when you wanted. A lot of singing by the whole crowd throughout the match, not just isolated areas, the songs went right around the ground, incredible atmosphere and sound though the fact they had the roof closed to make it seem more intimidating for Italy made that louder. I was sat high up as I do at ours but it was so much better and closer. We walked down to the bottom of the stands close to the pitch whilst pre match warm ups were going on and that was fine, no stewards stopping us. Leaving at the end was the biggest difference, instead of taking about half an hour to walk back to Stratford station we were out of the ground and in Cardiff city centre in less than 10 minutes.
Amazing experience and an example of how it should be. Will still be back at London stadium for Southampton match but really wish I could have the Principality Stadium match experience every time.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I wish we could have any stadium experience but ours !
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:29 pm square off the stands, push them all up to the pitch, close the upper tier.

Any news on the squaring off of the stands behind the goals? I remember it being proposed a little while back but it's gone quiet again.

Did hear a rumour that it might still be happening this summer because it's cheaper for the stadium operator when they have to move the seats back and forward. Pinch of salt required.
Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer »

More discussions:
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... ans-update
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hindley Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am More discussions:
People won't be happy until the seats start where the advertising hoarding is in that graphic.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

agree we need to be much nearer especially the billy bonds stand which is a joke . never had nor wanted a seat on the halfway line as its so far from the pitch !
best areas are the corners and first two blocks on the BB and west stand

when are they naming that stand ? the Lyall and greenwood stand would be my suggestion for what it matters !
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 am agree we need to be much nearer especially the billy bonds stand which is a joke . never had nor wanted a seat on the halfway line as its so far from the pitch !
best areas are the corners and first two blocks on the BB and west stand

when are they naming that stand ? the Lyall and greenwood stand would be my suggestion for what it matters !
They won't name it they will want a sponsor for it. Over 3 years we've been there now and her ladyship is still yet to win either a stand or stadium sponsor which begs the question... what is she doing to earn her coin?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm not sure that I'd trust them to do anything other than a botch job .

It's like the claret carpet - the green leftovers are visible behind the advertising hoarding (though hidden from the TV screens) - and it just reeks of seeing how cheaply something can be done, and how much can be scrimped off the budget. Someone has clearly sat in a meeting and said, "we won't do that, coz they can't see it on the telly so it's a waste of money".

Meanwhile £10m to agents and in interest on loans is the norm every year, along with at least £10m a year in wages on absolute duds who were obvious risks from the moment they were signed.

The last three games I've watched from a different part of the ground to the place where I had a season ticket and have had access to someone else's.

The bit I've been to recently , they almost have it right. :shock: - but I'd never part with a penny to sit in the other part of the ground again, because it just reinforces how wrong they have it there.
SEAHammer

Post by SEAHammer »

Well that's fixed it ....

Two new lower tier stands in the stadium bowl will bring some fans closer to the action by as much as four metres - so if you were pretty close you will be a bit closer, but for those everywhere else it will still need binoculars.

Around 300 of the 3,600 moved seats will not be covered or protected from the rain - yup top class how much was the roof?

The next stage of development in the summer of 2020 should fall in line with the club's hopes of increasing the capacity at the arena to 62,500 for the start of next season - does that even need a comment?
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

next season we will only need 35k even less for the visits of Barnsley etc.

next game for me is Southampton who knows if I can bother after that !

maybe the relegation party against villa on the last day ?
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Hindley Hammer wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am More discussions:
Arena Events Group plc is pleased to announce it has won a contract with E20 Stadium LLP, owners of London Stadium, to develop new seating systems in the north and south of the stadium.

The contract will deliver two new lower tier stands bringing 6,000 fans up to four meters closer to the pitch than the current system allows. The designs will create a traditional “kop” feel to the seating arrangement for pitch-based events, such as football, helping to enhance the match-day experience for fans. The system will also allow for faster seat moves between events to help reduce costs in the UK’s largest multi-use stadium.

This comes following a period of design development to inform the brief between E20 and West Ham United. Initial designs were presented to the Club’s Official Supporters’ Board in February 2019, and Arena, E20 and West Ham United will be consulting with them again to help inform the more detailed designs with the aim of installing the seats this summer.

Lyn Garner, Chief Executive of London Legacy Development Corporation, commented: “We are delighted to have appointed Arena and look forward to working with them and West Ham United over the coming months. Our investment in the new stands will improve fans’ matchday experience and deliver significant efficiencies to the running of London Stadium.”

Greg Lawless, CEO of Arena Group commented: “We are pleased to be entering into a long-term agreement with E20 to provide a truly flexible seating solution that enhances the legacy of the London Stadium. Yet again this shows the strength of our innovation and project management in delivering a value-enhancing solution to our customers.”
https://arenagroup.com/2020/02/04/arena ... ng-design/

Absolutely zero percent consultation with myself or anyone else I know who is going to be affected and will have a seat further away from the pitch. No communication from the football club directly with me who they sold a season ticket to. No communication at all from the OSB rep charged with representing the stand I am in (Bobby Moore Lower).

The system will also allow for faster seat moves between events to help reduce costs in the UK’s largest multi-use stadium.

The real reason behind the move and not one done out of the kindness of the football clubs heart.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

sanchoz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:26 am
The real reason behind the move and not one done out of the kindness of the football clubs heart.
It's not being done for the football though is it? It's being done for pitch-based events.

Another example of GSB taking credit for something that has f*** all to do with them.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

ornchurch ammer wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:02 am It's not being done for the football though is it? It's being done for pitch-based events.

Another example of GSB taking credit for something that has **** all to do with them.
Yep. Stadium operator saves x amount every year, football club has to agree to it as they fundamentally have no say.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The designs will create a traditional “kop” feel
Proper buzzword. Say "kop", fans will think the atmosphere will be amazing.

It's a temporary stand with about 30 rows in it. A "kop", it is not.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Does anyone else wish we'd bin off the trampolines behind the stands, actually put a floor there, and just let us stand and drink there instead?