David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Re: David Moyes - 18th Permanent Manager of WHUFC

Post by Ironing Board »

It is somewhat amusing that, given the sheer volume of anti-Moyes posts, the presence of one person who defends his record is so annoying to some!
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:45 pm for many people accepting david moyes represents accepting a new normal, which calcifies all the dour football and low expectations that moving from the boleyn was supposed to get us away from, while doing it as a disembodied husk of a club floating around in a vast plastic wilderness, like an eternal fugue state. moyes at the OS represents the absolute worst of both worlds and accepting one side of it is to accept both.

i'm not alone in thinking a total reset would be preferable, whatever form that takes.
Spot on Beavis. :thup:

Of course it's not Moyes taht took us down that path but he's happily jumped on board with those who have. In fact had they not taken us down that path he wouldn't have been anywhere near to getting this job. He's benefitted from the 'new normal' you rightly refer to.

Anyway, you're not alone on the total reset being preferable club. I for one am now in it too. So I'm happy for Moyes to stay for the rest of the season. :)
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm It is somewhat amusing that, given the sheer volume of anti-Moyes posts, the presence of one person who defends his record is so annoying to some!
You don't defend his record though. You cherry pick what you want from Wikipedia and Everton forums and ignore anything else.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Rozzop wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 pm You don't defend his record though. You cherry pick what you want from Wikipedia and Everton forums and ignore anything else.
In what way? By not blindly accepting the narrative that he is doomed to failure and has no coaching acumen or understanding of modern football. (This is despite him being held in high esteem at the LMA and UEFA mind you!)
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Rozzop wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 pm You don't defend his record though. You cherry pick what you want from Wikipedia and Everton forums and ignore anything else.
I literally posted, unedited, his Preston entry and what ToffeeWeb, perhaps the largest Everton fan website, say about him! That’s not cherry picking!
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm It is somewhat amusing that, given the sheer volume of anti-Moyes posts, the presence of one person who defends his record is so annoying to some!
It was cool for 100 pages or so, but on page 176, with Moyes averaging fewer points a game than his predecessor, it’s tough to hear how good his record was from 2002 - 2010.

I’ve never been so sad to be a West Ham fan. Our team is being destroyed by its owners, I haven’t been to watch us play in 2 seasons, my son has never seen West Ham play and that makes me sad every day. After a disastrous 6 months we have hired a manager who’s most recent jobs have ended in failure and on every possible page on this thread is a post about how wonderful Moyes was in 2002, or how good he was in 2010. Pellegrini’s success in 2005 did not make him a success at West Ham. David Sullivan’s ability to make a couple of quid in 1982 does not mean that he can run a football club in 2020, and I’m just disgusted that West Ham have become a club run by incompetents who have hired failures and past-it players and managers and purchased perennial losers who treat this club like a ****ing 18-30 club.

Arguing the toss about how good Moyes was in 2010 is akin to arguing about how good Zabaleta was in 2012. He’s past it now, which is why he’s at West Ham and listening to you defend him is reminiscent of the board that have gleefully ****ed us and laughed in our face whilst doing it.

I probably just need to steer clear of this thread tbh.

f*** it, carry on.
Last edited by Turns to Stone on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

TTS :thup:
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

You must yearn for the day that Moyes's actions and record HERE mean that you no longer need to defend his record.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Ozza wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:27 pmTTS :thup:
+ 1.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 pm It was cool for 100 pages or so, but on page 176, with Moyes averaging fewer points a game than his predecessor, it’s tough to hear how good his record was from 2002 - 2010.

I’ve never been so sad to be a West Ham fan. Our team is being destroyed by its owners, I haven’t been to watch us play in 2 seasons, my son has never seen West Ham play and that makes me sad every day. After a disastrous 6 months we have hired a manager who’s most recent jobs have ended in failure and on every possible page on this thread is a post about how wonderful Moyes was in 2002, or how good he was in 2010. Pellegrini’s success in 2005 did not make him a success at West Ham. David Sullivan’s ability to make a couple of quid in 1982 does not mean that he can run a football club in 2020, and I’m just disgusted that West Ham have become a club run by incompetents who have hired failures and past-it players and managers and purchased perennial losers who treat this club like a ****ing 18-30 club.

Arguing the toss about how good Moyes was in 2010 is akin to arguing about how good Zabaleta was in 2012. He’s past it now, which is why he’s at West Ham and listening to you defend him is reminiscent of the board that have gleefully ****ed us and laughed in our face whilst doing it.

**** it, carry on.
Those are all fair points. But Moyes actually seems to recognize the issues and wants to fix them. The last window he literally signed two of the kind of players we should have been going for for years.

You can argue that he may not be good enough to actually implement his vision, but at least he has pedigree of being able to do so at a club of a similar size and profile to our own.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

That's me done on this thread for now. At least it acts as a virtual quarantine for one particular poster. What will be will be - I'm going to heed the words of these fine chaps for now with regards to the Moyes thread.

Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:37 pm That's me done on this thread for now. At least it acts as a virtual quarantine for one particular poster. What will be will be - I'm going to heed the words of these fine chaps for now with regards to the Moyes thread.

Give me Shed Seven any day!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:32 pm Sneer all you like, but we are in a similar situation to how Everton were when he went there. And Everton have not been as good since he went.
It wasn't intended as a sneer; more light-hearted than that.

You're never going to persuade me he's any kind of progressive coach, in the present day, but that's not to say that I don't read what you post. By and large, I do. I think you make a reasonable contribution.

It's just that I can't take West Ham seriously very much any more.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 pm It wasn't intended as a sneer; more light-hearted than that.

You're never going to persuade me he's any kind of progressive coach, in the present day, but that's not to say that I don't read what you post. By and large, I do. I think you make a reasonable contribution.

It's just that I can't take West Ham seriously very much any more.
Hopefully that will change. I want to see us challenging for Europe and having deep cup runs. We’ve been getting palmed off with crap for too many years under the charlatans (another Brit Pop reference!) for too many years now. It always seems to be one step forwards and two steps back!
Believer
Has liked: 1425 likes
Total likes: 761 likes

Post by Believer »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 pm
Great post TTS
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 pm I probably just need to steer clear of this thread tbh.
Honestly tragic really that posters like your goodself are so inactive
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Ben »

Everton fans were ****ting themselves at the thought of him going back there which says it all.
The owner went and got them a high calibre manager and look at them now
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2890 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Ben wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 pm Everton fans were ****ting themselves at the thought of him going back there which says it all.
Yes that's all fine, well and good but obviously the real acid test is whether Ancelotti is held in high regard as a coach by the LMA and UEFA?

TTS :thup:
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:04 am Student Hammer - are you old enough to remember Curbs' time in charge? I don't think Curbs' first full season in charge will ever get beaten for sheer boredom, when his only 'flair' players were an aged Nobby Solano and an injury-ravaged Ljungberg, our team giving up at that magic 40-point mark, and losing every game 4-0 from thereon in.

With Moyes, you have to take into account that he's taken over us twice now when we've been in complete freefall and battling relegation. I honestly think it's inconclusive how 'dull' or bad/good he really is as a manager. We're **** at present, so of course, we've got to grind out results. Like Goa127 said above, it's puzzling why so many people are bickering over Moyes' ability or lack of ability. Only time will tell whether he was up to the job or not.
Couldn't agree more.
There are some short sighted people on here and some pretty childish and I'll thought out posts going in IB's direction.
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

Ben wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 pm Everton fans were ****ting themselves at the thought of him going back there which says it all.
Didn,t we try a high caliber manager?
At 8 Million a year , he never came cheap
When you drive a Fiesta you dont ask Damon Hill to be your driver.

Our right back doesnt know what to do when he gets the ball.
Our left back ( masuaku) doesnt know what to do when he doesnt have the ball.
Diop cant win a header despite his height.
Noble has lost his legs and our best player is Snoddy who we bought for 6 million 3 years back and is almost 33.
We have a striker who looks down on us.
We have owners who have no structural plan regarding signings and managers.They put names in a hat and pick one.
No manager who wants to be successful will come here while the owners are here.
Moyes, Houghton, Howe, Pardew. Take your pick from numerous managers that do not demand players and success. Thats where we are.
You dont need to pump X amount of dough into a team. You need to get players in to fit a certain system of play to compete at a decent level in the toughest league. SheffUtd, Burnely, Palace,Newcastle and Southampton are more stable than West Ham who have fought 3 relegation battles in 4 years.
High Caliber managers wont make a difference trust me because we are not a united team with b a l ls , energy, passion and commitment.
Moyes , given more time IF we survive might just be able to install those attributes back into West Ham.