what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by The Collector »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:30 pm You should try a cherry lambic (kriek beer). They're really nice and not too sweet at all. Aud Beersel's Aude Kriek is probably the best cherry lambic out there.
Too sour. Stick to Liefmans.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Manor Arms (Bum Daddies) East India Road, Poplar London E14.

Cracking pub. Three pints for just over £10, great pints of Amstel, Stella and Guinness respectively, quirky locals, great bar staff, top Juke box, warm and cosy.

Negative points: Locals are not overly friendly. bogs are not the cleanest and the wine selection is dreadful.

9/10 though - really enjoyed my night out there.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

The Collector wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:41 pm Too sour. Stick to Liefmans.
I actually prefer the sour kriek beers. The Leifman's kriek is brewed differently to other kriek beers, as they just add cherries to Oud Brun beer and let it age for a year. It's not bad but I think the Oud Beersel's tastes more natural.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Had dinner in the Tartar Frigate in Broadstairs last night
The food was absolutely top draw
Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone in the area
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I'm having a weekend in Swansea next weekend. Any recommendations for drinking? Wind Street looks a bit lively.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:15 pm I'm having a weekend in Swansea next weekend. Any recommendations for drinking? Wind Street looks a bit lively.
It really depends on what kind of pubs you are looking for. I only sampled a few places but I liked Copper and No Sign in the centre, and Brewstone in Uplands where we were staying. Wind Street is the main area. The Olde Cross Keys which is around the back of Wind Street looked like a nice pub but we didn't get a chance to sample it.

Swansea felt old fashioned to me and at first I didn't like the place but the people were very friendly which made me really like it in the end.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 pm Had dinner in the Tartar Frigate in Broadstairs last night
The food was absolutely top draw
Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone in the area
Was in there at Christmas for a few.
Preferred the refurbished Neptunes Hall up the road. Highly recommended.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The pub part of the Tartar Frigate is nothing special but the restaurant upstars was superb

Loved the Chapel craft beer gaff as well
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

had lunch in the cowper arms , Hertford today , very nice .
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

EastBrisHammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 pm It really depends on what kind of pubs you are looking for. I only sampled a few places but I liked Copper and No Sign in the centre, and Brewstone in Uplands where we were staying. Wind Street is the main area. The Olde Cross Keys which is around the back of Wind Street looked like a nice pub but we didn't get a chance to sample it.

Swansea felt old fashioned to me and at first I didn't like the place but the people were very friendly which made me really like it in the end.
I'm not too fond of Cardiff. It's got a bit of an attitude to it. The Swansea I know a little has been great. Thanks!
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:39 am I'm not too fond of Cardiff. It's got a bit of an attitude to it. The Swansea I know a little has been great. Thanks!
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Cardiff. The people do have an attitude and it's one of the least friendliest places I have been too, although Harlow still tops as the moodiest place I've visited.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

The Standard's Top 50 pubs in London is out, I haven't frequented many but happily have been to number one:

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/ba ... 07216.html
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Either they don't know the local areas or they haven't been there. The Grapes - Poplar? The Huntsman in Hoxton? Nope. And they have added the biggest tourist trap with the dearest crappiest beer - The Prospect of Whitby. Really?

'I've been to a considerable no of pubs they list and some of them wouldn't make my top 50. No The Old Ship in Limehouse?

No mention of The Galvanisers, The Widows Son or the Beehive either?

I'm glad The Spanish Bar, The Dolphin, The Grapes, The Lamb and The Coach and Horses (SoHo) are in there though. Fair play.

They've missed out a slew of pubs in the E10/E17 area (North Star etc)

I know it's a subjective view but you at least have to get where the pubs are located right
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

I've ticked off about 40% of those, most go from moderately pleasant to really good. Never understood the love for the French House, Soho. They don't sell pints, the beer choice from memory was poor and it's a proper cliquey atmosphere. Coach & Horses, really is a gem of a pub. Not today but...

The Cleveland Arms, Bayswater / Paddington - Another decent pub that has seemingly evaded me for years, a big improvement from the other Paddington pubs within walking distance of the station (The Victoria being the exception). Pints of Timothy Taylor's Landlord went down well, busy but a nice warm environment. There's a few others in the area that need ticking off, but a solid score. 7.5/10.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

SoulCircus wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:46 pm The Standard's Top 50 pubs in London is out, I haven't frequented many but happily have been to number one:

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/ba ... 07216.html

All subjective. There's some good choices in there. Southampton Arms - though the clientele are a little well you know crappy. The Trafalgar is superb on a Summer's day. Crosse Key's gets a thumbs up for being deserted on a Saturday and being a nice building, for a Spoons is decent. However the Dublin Castle has never sat well with me. Go to the Dev if you want a decent pub in Camden. The Soho choices are poor, but that's because the pubs there are pretty rank.

The Harp is great. But you can barely get in there most times.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

The Soho Blue Post they've selected isn't even the best Blue Post in Soho...
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

The Half Moon - Stepney Green.

Wetherspoons establishment and usually OK, nice beer garden for when the weather is pretty.

Yesterday was a low experience for me. Ordered a pint of Pumphouse Porter by Sambrooks brewery which came out pale. Anyone worth their salt knows that no porter would ever come out pale....

Seems as if they can't get the right ales on the right pumps. I drank it, made no fuss - that's not me really. I had a look around at the other ales they had on tap...GK IPA, Doombar, Rev James and Speckled Hen (all ****ing dreadful) and knew it couldn't be them. I think they got the wrong pumpclip for the right beer rather than having the wrong barrel going through the pumps. Perhaps they meant to put Pumphouse Pale on instead.

Lady serving didn't have a clue.

STAY AWAY FROM WETHERSPOONS.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:41 am The Half Moon - Stepney Green.

Wetherspoons establishment and usually OK, nice beer garden for when the weather is pretty.

Yesterday was a low experience for me. Ordered a pint of Pumphouse Porter by Sambrooks brewery which came out pale. Anyone worth their salt knows that no porter would ever come out pale....

Seems as if they can't get the right ales on the right pumps. I drank it, made no fuss - that's not me really. I had a look around at the other ales they had on tap...GK IPA, Doombar, Rev James and Speckled Hen (all ****ing dreadful) and knew it couldn't be them. I think they got the wrong pumpclip for the right beer rather than having the wrong barrel going through the pumps. Perhaps they meant to put Pumphouse Pale on instead.

Lady serving didn't have a clue.

STAY AWAY FROM WETHERSPOONS.
I wholeheartedly agree with your assumption on GK IPA, Doombar, Rev James and Speckled Hen. However, Wetherspoons do have the occasional guest ale on which is really good, especially when they're doing one of their beer festivals.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Get out of the spoons!
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:13 am I know it's a subjective view but you at least have to get where the pubs are located right
Yeah, I don't think it's that well researched a piece. Just seems like he's ticking areas off. The Alexandra in Wimbledon isn't even the best pub in Wimbledon, just the one nearest the station.