Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by spod »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am To be fair, that'd be awesome. Build a stadium within the stadium, build huge multi-level indoor concourses behind the stands behind the goals.
I think, commercially, the solution would be for Newham to sell the stadium to the club's new owners, and for the club to redevelop, incorporating commercial units around the outside in the space left when the stands are moved in towards the pitch. Some of those commercial units could be gifted to Newham in exchange for a reduced sale price, which would make the deal more politically acceptable, and more viable for the new owners.
Did I mention that this would only work with new owners?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Realistically, the best thing that could happen (and I don't know whether is is something that would really work given the various interested parties) would be that the stadium gets taken apart and the lower tier gets put around the community marathon track that opened a couple of years ago. Keep it for community use but also as a UK athletics hub to replace Crystal Palace.

Then there is a whole new stadium built around the pitch at the OS, tailored to football and other sporting events.

That then maintains the athletic side of things, and reuses the OS site.

I suspect it's not viable for a host of reasons, but there's so much space around the ground that I'm pretty sure you could fit a smaller tier around that ground and still build a 52,000 football stadium around the pitch that exists. You could rotate the pitch to give a bit more space, too.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3443 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

spod wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:11 pm...incorporating commercial units around the outside in the space left when the stands are moved in towards the pitch.
That's it.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

easier and cheaper just to pull it down and relocate the stadium to where the community pitch/where they store the seats in the summer is if you want to go for the stratford route. leave the rest of it to be developed into whatever they want.

the plot at upton park was sold for £35m (then sold on for twice that within six months), developments on there will fetch the best part of a billion quid when all sold.

how a ruthless property developer such as david sullivan missed out on that i will never know. without saying anything i can't back up, i will just say it's extremely surprising. certainly surprising enough to warrant an investigation.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Maybe posted elsewhere. Safe standing at Old Trafford.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51457337
Da Vinci
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Da Vinci »

Just read a piece about Millwall redeveloping The Den. They are going to build around the existing stadium which will include an underground car park, hotel, community centre plus 3,500 new homes and get this a brand new London overground station next to the ground. No stop and go boards required :lol:
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Da Vinci wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:18 pm Just read a piece about Millwall redeveloping The Den. They are going to build around the existing stadium which will include an underground car park, hotel, community centre plus 3,500 new homes and get this a brand new London overground station next to the ground. No stop and go boards required :lol:
They get about 10,000 in that ****hole if there lucky, what they gone fill it with cardboard cut outs? :lol:
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

rossmundo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 pm They get about 10,000 in that ****hole if there lucky, what they gone fill it with cardboard cut outs? :lol:
Better than away fans and tourist!!
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

War Pony wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm Better than away fans and tourist!!
Thats regardless... I'd still say say we get 45,00 plus what I would call proper west ham fans in the stadium.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Millwall's plans ....and they already have a proper football ground.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... pment.html
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1037 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I was thinking of posting a new thread along the same lines as the Wolves one... anyone else jealous of Millwall? Not sure if that’s overstepping the mark though.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm Millwall's plans ....and they already have a proper football ground.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... pment.html
Looks fantastic. Can’t begrudge any football club a nice football stadium. The pain of ours outweighs the hatred I have for any other club.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6810 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ben wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm It’s mad they don’t even try to hide the crappy scaffolding you see each time you enter the stadium
.... "World Class Stadium" you say, Karren? :lol:

Lies, lies, lies.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6810 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ps - On closer inspection, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in it's safety either. Just from that one image it looks precarious in places and more of a 'hope for the best' attitude towards remaining in tact, rather than being 100% certain of it's safety. :shock:

Gos forbid it should collapse and potentially put lives at risk.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

If our fans ever had something to get excited about and actually jumped around a bit, that would definitely fall down...
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:58 pm Ps - On closer inspection, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in it's safety either. Just from that one image it looks precarious in places and more of a 'hope for the best' attitude towards remaining in tact, rather than being 100% certain of it's safety. :shock:

Gos forbid it should collapse and potentially put lives at risk.
Not wrong. I wonder how often the HSE inspect those cable ties and those flimsy supports ?

When you see what clubs like Brentford and Millwall are doing let alone Tottenham, it just highlights what they’ve done to us. We’ve got arguably one of the biggest supports in the country and a new stadium or a transformation of the BG would have allowed that support to remain and flourish. However through sheer personal greed they’ve taken our dreams and destroyed them and killed the atmosphere that everyone admired.

It’s noted that Millwall have ensured that they will not lose the atmosphere at their new place. We couldn’t drum up an atmosphere anymore even if we wanted to as the crowds are so dispersed - families mixed with old school and other people who are in no way associated to our club.

It’ll not recover as long as we are in there and more so as long as they’re here.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Da Vinci wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:18 pm Just read a piece about Millwall redeveloping The Den. They are going to build around the existing stadium which will include an underground car park, hotel, community centre plus 3,500 new homes and get this a brand new London overground station next to the ground. No stop and go boards required :lol:
all set for a ground share when we move out.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

As an ex-electrician cable ties are for tying cables to say metal tray work

Not to make sure the metal framework of a temp stand holding thousands of people doesn't come undone.

I have photo of way back when we moved to the bowl hole that shown some of the scaffolding is on blocks
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2116 likes
Total likes: 1339 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Pop Robson wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 pm As an ex-electrician cable ties are for tying cables to say metal tray work

Not to make sure the metal framework of a temp stand holding thousands of people doesn't come undone.

I have photo of way back when we moved to the bowl hole that shown some of the scaffolding is on blocks
No doubt if anything ever happened they would wriggle out of it and blame the contractors. However this obviously shoddy workmanship (and I'm sure some expert will argue with me) is on here now as public record. Karren Brady hang your head in shame. That is not world class retractable seating.

Not even retractable. Nor class.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 pm If our fans ever had something to get excited about and actually jumped around a bit, that would definitely fall down...
See? Cable ties are perfectly safe there.