Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Coops »

Colours never run wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:58 pm Which is? That's not meant facetiously either, how do we fix it.
I don't think it can be fixed. The spivs have done a proper number on us. Even if they do sell up, which I don't think they will, we will still be stuck renting a temporary athletics stadium.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

61dicksey wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:03 pm If we had moved from the Boleyn a purpose built stadium in the vicinity i doubt there would be an issue moving , but to this ****hole there is so much wrong.
Yeah that's right. But if they were proper owners, they would of held onto Upton Park for another year as a back up plan. As the OS was no way ready when we moved in. I hate them for selling and demolishing The Boleyn so fast.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 768 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

upton gardens is a development site with about half a billion quid's worth of flats in it. david sullivan, a ruthless penny pinching property baron only made £32m from it according to his tax returns. he urgently needed that £32m given he's a billionaire and all and must've been so desperate that he overlooked the fact the land could be almost immediately flipped for twice that amount before being developed for an eventual return of ten times that.

these are the facts, the conclusions i'll leave to you.
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm upton gardens is a development site with about half a billion quid's worth of flats in it. david sullivan, a ruthless penny pinching property baron only made £32m from it according to his tax returns. he urgently needed that £32m given he's a billionaire and all and must've been so desperate that he overlooked the fact the land could be almost immediately flipped for twice that amount before being developed for an eventual return of ten times that.

We all have the same conclusion but proving it is something else.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:44 am Well it’s not like these stadiums become available every week is it? There are plenty of other examples in business of rich people asset stripping.
Reminds me of shopping, sales time. 'It's a pile of sh*t, but it was 75% off'.
They shouldn't have been here, asset stripping us.

I heard Simon Jordan on the radio last weekend say that whatever people might think of the soulless bowl, every Premier League chairman with a smaller stadium would have taken it in a heartbeat.
So why didn't Crystal Palace? I find that very hard to believe. Queueing up, were they? Perhaps only the ones that didn't already have a stadium as good as Upton Park. Or only the ones that were a couple of miles away from the OS..
Aside from no ongoing maintenance costs & a pepper corn annual rent, move their club to a stadium unfit for purpose, that will bring in relatively f*ck all in increased revenue? It was a nonsensical decision, team & supporter-wise.

His point was that GSB just made a pig’s ear out of making it feel like home for us.
1) they didn't ever want to
2) it's impossible to, anyway
A few flags, pictures, beer shelves & a coloured carpet, do not make a home.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I think that what many people want for a stadium is not what the board would deliver even if it were possible. If you asked the board to design a stadium from scratch it be more like the OS than the Boleyn. And there's the problem. The board see the OS as needing adjustment, many fans see the OS as needing replacement. The two views will never be reconciled.
WoodvaleOne
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by WoodvaleOne »

Samba wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:16 pm
You forgot the claret and blue picnic benches.
A major investment right there.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

If done properly, by bringing the fans with you, fully consulted and respected, a move away from the Boleyn could have been possible. But how these 3 clowns have gone about it all is a blueprint of how to totally f*** it up and piss off most of your genuine west ham fanbase.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Given the size of the footprint, how many seats could conceivably be erected if you simply removed the current lower tiers entirely, and replaced them with a structure designed to pack in as many as possible around the pitch? This would obviously necessitate the closure of the upper tiers. And forgetting aesthetics for a minute, because such a thing would inevitably be an eyesore.

Could you get 40k in there? It would be double what is currently in the inner ring, but given the low rake, the gap to the pitch and the gaps in some places behind the inner stands, it must be in the realms of the possible?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

We could still build a 60,000 plus seater stadium inside that structure. The floodlights would need rejigging though.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

yeah I think that could easily be done, I'm sure I mentioned it on here years ago but that's probably the best solution
build a stadium within the bowl, i'm sure it could be cleverly blended in to the existing structure somehow and would leave tonnes of space for other businesses to be set up within it, bars, offices etc
obviously just the small matter of an owner with ambition and money to be found
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ben wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm build a stadium within the bowl, i'm sure it could be cleverly blended in to the existing structure somehow and would leave tonnes of space for other businesses to be set up within it, bars, offices etc
obviously just the small matter of an owner with ambition and money to be found
I mean, for sure long-term.

But it seems like it could be the most plausible short-term solution too once the athletics clear off for good. If we have 18k in an essentially semi-permanent structure at present, where the biggest cost seems to be in moving it back and forth, how much would it cost to erect a tight, semi-permanent, pig-ugly 40k structure – that doesn't need to be moved annually – around the pitch in the immediate future? Am I being naive in thinking it could be less than a Jarrod Bowen?

I suppose the roof element is where things get tricky and expensive in those circumstances.

And I also suppose the will to essentially spend funds to reduce capacity is an equally difficult obstacle internally.
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm upton gardens is a development site with about half a billion quid's worth of flats in it. david sullivan, a ruthless penny pinching property baron only made £32m from it according to his tax returns. he urgently needed that £32m given he's a billionaire and all and must've been so desperate that he overlooked the fact the land could be almost immediately flipped for twice that amount before being developed for an eventual return of ten times that.

This will grind my gears until I die, knowing that a lot of our dads and grandads paid their hard earned money (and it was hard earned) every Saturday which helped build the club it was, only for these low life's to cash it all in. This has got to be one of the lowest things I've witness in my life, it's sicking.
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

I posted this a couple of years ago - Cagliari FC (where England played group games at Italia 90) built stands within the stadium.

Doesn't look great visually but at least it was closer to the pitch !

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 8_crop.jpg
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

With a roof building within the bowl wouldn’t look as bad as that and I’m sure they can do some magic with advertising boarding etc to fill in gaps
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Great, even more opportunities to use scaffolding, breeze blocks and cable ties. :D
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Personally I’d petrol bomb the whole thing until it collapsed.

Saying that I’ve never been there, maybe it’s nice
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

wobble wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:58 pm This will grind my gears until I die, knowing that a lot of our dads and grandads paid their hard earned money (and it was hard earned) every Saturday which helped build the club it was, only for these low life's to cash it all in. This has got to be one of the lowest things I've witness in my life, it's sicking.
Good (but sad) post mate :thup:

My great great grandad was the first of my lot - died in the silvertown explosion in 1917 - lived in West Ham from birth

The women too - my Nan went to her first game over there in the late 30’s - she actually went to her first game before my Granndad did, a fact she used to endlessly annoy him with when she’d have an opinion on a player he tried to brush aside.

I hope that someday, G&S or their offspring somehow realise what they’ve stolen from us.
Last edited by e17 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-M
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Thats a monstrosity :lol:
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

V-M wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm Thats a monstrosity :lol: