Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by jastons »

How would a 'lockdown' be policed in this country? I live just outside of Glasgow and work in the East End. Will I still get paid while I'm not working?

They will need to bring in the army to stop people moving around!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 am Sendo, you mentioned that you had symptoms similar to Covid a couple of weeks back. Just interested if the health service have aaked you to trace and notify people you might have infected, like they do with Chlamydia. Or so I'm told.
They might have done if I'd been able to get a doctors appointment. Mrs spent 20 mins on phone Mon am, I spent 25 mins yesterday am, and Monday afternoon the Mrs spent 45 minutes on the phone to the GP hub for an emergency out of hours apppoinment but eventually had to give up because she had to get the kids from school.

Meanwhile I've got a sore back where I think I've strained a muscle from coughing so much, and I'm pretty sure I've given myself a bit of a hernia, as there's a bit popped out by my belly button, a red mark around that area and it's really sore.

Don't really want to have to go down to A&E just to get some anti biotics or an inhaler or something for a chest infection, especially given the dim view they'll take of anyone coughing.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

You shouldn't be going to the GP or A&E unless told to by the 111 lot.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Here's a useful post from an Irish paramedic on Facebook. I don't know if it's correct, but he's in a better position to know than most.....

So there’s lots of people from the health service telling everyone that washing your hands is the best way to defeat Covid-19, but lots of people (most?) seem to think that this is a bit silly. Like how the fook can washing your hands be SO important, and how can it defeat a virus that’s causing so much havoc worldwide?? Well here’s the science bit, because I’m a nerd who likes to know “why” something happens.

The outer wall of a virus is made of lipids, they’re kinda like oils or fats, that’s a simple way of putting it. It’s called a lipid layer. Behind the lipid layer is the virus, it’s made up of proteins and RNA, which is kinda like DNA and it’s what lets the virus replicate. That’s really it, it’s that simple (unless you have a PhD and there’s a few on here with them, but this is for the rest of us who are a bit thick!).

So, what about the washing of hands with soap?? Here’s the part that nobody is being told, but it’s important (it’s especially important if your a nerd). Soap is made up of loads and loads of lipids, it what makes soap feel so soft and smooth.... When you wash your hands really well you get all these lipids on your hands. So if you have Covid-19 on your hands the lipids in the virus wall start to break down, because the lipids in the virus lipid layer are soluble in the lipids in your soap on your hands.

So when you break down the lipid layer you end up destroying the proteins and the RNA. It’s kinda like years ago when your Da used to clean a paintbrush with turpentine, it’s because the paint was soluble in turpentine.....it’s really that simple. Also, people are searching high and low for antibacterial soap....don’t bother. This is a virus, not a bacteria. Also, antibacterial soap is really just expensive soap. I’ve attached a pic of a virus, it’s a flu one but it doesn’t really matter. Break down the lipid layer with lipids in soap and you’ll kill the virus. You’re welcome. Feel free to share.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:36 am I dunno, but based on Italy it seems that a lockdown is inevitable. All we're doing now is treading water. Many people will die in the next month who might not die if we lock down now instead of in a fortnight's time.
The lockdown seems as much about making it real for people as anything. The way to limit the spread of it (based on current advice) is pretty simple, the problem is people don't think it applies to them. Grand gestures like a lockdown really just try and reinforce what people should be doing.

I kind of agree we could be taking a few more proactive steps as many people seem incapable of erring on the side of caution without it being made a law. At this point there have been 4000 deaths from it, in the same period 60,000-80,000 people will have died of regular flu (maybe a few less as people are being more hygienic this year). Actually it will be interesting to see if this virus has actually saved lives.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Corona virus WHU /football related

Post by steveyrockstar »

Humbug wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:49 am The problem with this virus is that you can be infected with it for 2weeks before you show any symptoms . And in that 2 week period you are contagious which means its incredibly difficult to contain unless we all do what Italy and China are doing - just staying at home for 2 weeks. The other terrible thing about this virus is that you can get it again!!!

If any Arsenal player or part of their team are proved positive - our club will need to shut down for 2 weeks. How we live is going to change drastically in the next few months - scary stuff.
Catching it again, fortunately, looks unlikely. Although the fear with this virus is that there's still a lot of the unknown about it.

From a science site: "In February, rumors swirled about a Japanese woman who allegedly developed COVID-19 twice. Experts concluded that it was most likely a relapse rather than a second infection. In general, reinfection seems highly unlikely: Most infectious diseases trigger a permanent immune response during recovery, Rivers says. If anyone were to get COVID-19 a second time, it’d be immunocompromised individuals—though, she says, that’d still be quite rare."
sendô

Post by sendô »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 am You shouldn't be going to the GP or A&E unless told to by the 111 lot.
What, so they can look down their sheet that says any cough/running nose might be coronavirus, and tell me to self isolate?
SammyLeeWasOffside

sendô wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am What, so they can look down their sheet that says any cough/running nose might be coronavirus, and tell me to self isolate?
Pretty much.
SammyLeeWasOffside

So to set a good example the commons will be full of people who have been in contact with a known carrier.
Monkeybubbles
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 am At this point there have been 4000 deaths from it, in the same period 60,000-80,000 people will have died of regular flu
I know that you know this Sammy, but I'm going to make the point anyway: if left unchecked, Covid-19 could potentially kill many, many more people in the UK than regular flu. Most people in the UK who are at risk from everyday flu receive free vaccinations. Many others have built immunity to the most common strains of flu virus. Doing comparative statistics at this early stage may not be helpful.
ageing hammer
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Can anyone explain to me how Italy have 60 Million people locked down to stop spreading the virus, yet every country in the world is STILL allowing Italians to land in their airports and waltz through unchecked or quarantined and spread this virus all over each country. :?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 am I know that you know this Sammy, but I'm going to make the point anyway: if left unchecked, Covid-19 could potentially kill many, many more people in the UK than regular flu. Most people in the UK who are at risk from everyday flu receive free vaccinations. Many others have built immunity to the most common strains of flu virus. Doing comparative statistics at this early stage may not be helpful.
Its also not known at all how many people have the new one so the death rate is unknown yet people are being panicked at this early stage.

Its not being left unchecked though. People know how to minimise the chances of getting it, they are fairly simple procedures. Bit of hygiene, bit of common sense, bit of restricting your usual routine. The problem is people by and large don't want to adjust their behaviour.
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:03 am Can anyone explain to me how Italy have 60 Million people locked down to stop spreading the virus, yet every country in the world is STILL allowing Italians to land in their airports and waltz through unchecked or quarantined and spread this virus all over each country. :?
we are not allowed to leave our own province, let alone flying anywhere at the moment :lol:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:03 am Can anyone explain to me how Italy have 60 Million people locked down to stop spreading the virus, yet every country in the world is STILL allowing Italians to land in their airports and waltz through unchecked or quarantined and spread this virus all over each country. :?
I doubt anyone from Italy is waltzing anywhere Ageing.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

VeniceHammer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 am we are not allowed to leave our own province, let alone flying anywhere at the moment :lol:
Student on the radio this morning (from Leeds) been studying in Northern Italy. Flew home on the last plane yesterday. No checks in Italy or on arrival here, had to get public transport to and from the airport which is utterly moronic if you ask me (especially at our end) . It is not just the Italian nationals, everyone should have been kept there. The virus does not respect nationalities or borders.
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:22 am This is a virus, not a bacteria.
Been saying this all along. So the panic around hand sanitiser is really unnecessary as it is anti-bacterial, and won't kill a virus.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Jarvo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:55 am Been saying this all along. So the panic around hand sanitiser is really unnecessary as it is anti-bacterial, and won't kill a virus.
Which is partly true - 60% Ethanol based hand sanitiser breaks down the lipid layer of the virus this then exposes the 'guts' of the virus (the RNA) so it cannot replicate - hence 'killing it'. A good hand wash with Soap and hot water does the same.
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 am Which is partly true - 60% Ethanol based hand sanitiser breaks down the lipid layer of the virus this then exposes the 'guts' of the virus (the RNA) so it cannot replicate - hence 'killing it'. A good hand wash with Soap and hot water does the same.
Cheers Wolf - will keep an eye out for the 60%+ ethanol hand sanitiser :thup:
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Re: Corona virus WHU /football related

Post by Faithless »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 am So the handshake ban hasn't fixed this then.
I amazed that my self imposed embargo on watching or reading the news has had equally little effect...
sendô

Post by sendô »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 am Student on the radio this morning (from Leeds) been studying in Northern Italy. Flew home on the last plane yesterday. No checks in Italy or on arrival here, had to get public transport to and from the airport which is utterly moronic if you ask me (especially at our end) . It is not just the Italian nationals, everyone should have been kept there. The virus does not respect nationalities or borders.
They must be able to quickly erect some makeshift accomodation, mostly likely communal sleeping areas made of wood, in a large open compound with a perimeter fence topped with barbed wire. Maybe a few towers placed intermittently from which guards can peer down at the quantined people below?