Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Boooogers!

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Boooogers! »

Whitters wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:19 pm All schools in Switzerland now closed, as well as theatres, cinemas, leisure centres, nightclubs, ski resorts and,.....`erotic clubs`
There's a joke about warps mum in there somewhere
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm I did every word and I've read about it in great detail, what no-one can answer is why our 'experts' have come to a different conclusion to pretty much every other developed governments 'experts' . I hope ours are right, I really do. But I cannot see it.
Schools in Canada are still very much open.
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm I did every word and I've read about it in great detail, what no-one can answer is why our 'experts' have come to a different conclusion to pretty much every other developed governments 'experts' . I hope ours are right, I really do. But I cannot see it.
i know where you're coming from but it feels like school closures is the go to measure when countries dont know what the **** to do next

We will close schools, but whats the point in doing what Ireland have done and closing to 3rd April when they'll be sitting in the middle of it.

It feels like people just want something to be done, even if its no use. Can you imagine the daily mail exploding with irate parents who's kids are off school indefinitely

I dont get the science in truth, but i'm sure the govs advisers do,

Only thing im pretty sure of is that its here now, we have no vaccine, its going to spread, it will cost lives but im not sure how much can be done about it

As for the glamour to stop "mass gatherings", people need to show some sense. No one is forcing anyone to attend a "mass gathering" at gun point. Anyone who is worried about going, dont go.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

British Airways boss has sent a video message to staff entitled "The survival of British Airways".

The Airline industry is going to have huge pain.

This is an economic catastrophe of epic proportions.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

woodford wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:41 pm As for the glamour to stop "mass gatherings", people need to show some sense. No one is forcing anyone to attend a "mass gathering" at gun point. Anyone who is worried about going, dont go.
you don't go, the "mass gathering" happens, virus spreads faster and reaches higher numbers, making the chance you get it later anyway much higher.

the link posted earlier by Monkeybubbles:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

seriously, read it guys.
Last edited by warp on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

delbert wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 pm Time will tell which actions by which governments were most effective and why..........
Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm Honestly, read the article I linked to a few posts ago if you have time.
I did mate, it was an interesting albeit rather long (and in place slightly hysterical) prediction piece that ended with a series of recommendations, however it wasn't penned by Marty McFly, and as I posted, time will tell.

Some of the comments below the article are less than complimentary about the finer details and question the authors credentials.......
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm At the risk of being boring, it's explained in the article I linked to on the previous page. I really do implore people to read it, I found it very illuminating.
Well I've read it. It was illuminating, in a scare the crap out of me kind of way.

No matter what the numbers say I must cannot imagine locking the UK down now would be accepted by the general public, never mind two weeks ago.

I've spoken to two or three people in the last few days who literally have no idea about CV ("oh I've not been following it") & many are still dismissing it as flu. People don't watch the news, dont read papers and pay no attention to anything online that doesn't immediately interest them. I cant see how we would have the resources to enforce the lockdown that the numbers require? As we've seen with panic buying, people wont be told.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

May Local elections are off

Sports closing all over the place

Schools remain open :think:
woodford
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

so what are our Chief Science Advisor and Chief Medical Officer referring to ??

They showed a graph yesterday, every bit as impressive as something pulled from the internet. With all respect to MB because its a great article on the whole. Why is this graph compelling and theirs not?

As i said, i dont understand the science, and if people are truthful, most will admit the same. It seems counter intuitive but then hows doing the obvious working out for Spain, France and Italy ?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... y-11956793

This article also suggests that this will come back year after year, much like flu, now it's been established.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Denbighammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:55 pm https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... y-11956793

This article also suggests that this will come back year after year, much like flu, now it's been established.
Yes, but we'll (hopefully) have a treatment that will be part of the annual 'flu jab that can treat the immunio-weak. The rest of us will be immune.

Of course It could mutate in a bad way and we can play this game again.
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm British Airways boss has sent a video message to staff entitled "The survival of British Airways".

We`ve got long haul flights with BA booked for next month and they are one of the few airlines not letting us cancel, even for a credit note against future bookings, or rearrange for a later date for free. They`re only letting new customers do this, an enormous slap in the face to loyal customers

Even Easyjet are letting existing customers do this.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Whitters wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:19 pm All schools in Switzerland now closed, as well as theatres, cinemas, leisure centres, nightclubs, ski resorts and,.....`erotic clubs`
Boooogers! wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:40 pm There's a joke about warps mum in there somewhere
what does she have to do with erotism??!?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:35 am They should have been prepared, that’s their function - to protect us, there should have been a framework at least for a pandemic, we’ve had lucky escapes in recent years so there should have been a guideline framework at least.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pandemic-flu
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

warp wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm what does she have to do with erotism??!?
Dunno Mate just jumping on the warps mum bandwagon
WCpete
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by WCpete »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm Today's comedy input from the Orange one

Yeah, this should be good. Apparently he was in a rage this morning screaming about the democrats destroying the stock markets to make him look bad, and refusing to help him fix all of the current problems. He supposedly was fuming at Biden because his speech made l'orange's look bad on purpose.

On another note, the take away for me in regards of the run on toilet paper: make note to install a bidet once we have recovered financially.
warp

Post by warp »

Boooogers! wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:17 pm Dunno Mate just jumping on the warps mum bandwagon
it's never too late for that! :lol:
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

WCpete wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:25 pm
On another note, the take away for me in regards of the run on toilet paper: make note to install a bidet once we have recovered financially.
Why did they even go out of fashion? In all seriousness they will probably hit record sales in coming months. The Japanese have them built into their toilets. :arry:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm British Airways boss has sent a video message to staff entitled "The survival of British Airways".

Any more than when every bank had to be bailed out why various governments? That apparently was worse than the great depression.

I've noticed that the media (the BBC) have started to change the narrative. On the One o'clock news at lunchtime, their reporter said that for a month this will not have a great impact other than a week off of work to recover. So after several weeks of winding the population up, they softening the message. We are merely puppets in their little game.

Even Macron said to the French people last night, that only the vulnerable are going to be impacted by this.