Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Puff Daddy »

WHU_Del wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:40 pm First he insisted that he would keep his pubs open against Government advice.

Then when he was forced to close his pubs, he kicked all 43,000 of his workers out, they’re not being paid until he gets reimbursed by the Government and tells them they should get a job in Tesco.

And now he says that JD Wetherspoon does not intend to pay money owed to suppliers until its pubs reopen. This includes for supplies that have already been delivered.

Nice guy.
I don't suppose he is a particularly nice guy underneath that veneer, but believe me, the ever smiling Richard Branson is the biggest b*stard of them all. I used to visit his Virgin Airlines air crew training HQ is Crawley quite a bit, met him there at least 10 times and nobody I met including many of his flight attendants, ever had a good word to say about him. Up close and personal he used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up . Underneath that beard lies one complete and utter stingy b*stard. Glad is Caribbean hiddee hole got flattened by a hurricane with him in it at the time a few years back
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 pm the ever smiling Richard Branson is the biggest b*stard Up close and personal he used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up .
:D :D

That'll be your Extrasensory Vampire Detector going off -

I love your little stories , Puff - you keep us entertained , mate . :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm :D :D

That'll be your Extrasensory Vampire Detector going off -

I love your little stories , Puff - you keep us entertained , mate . :thup:
Thanks mate. Even writing his name made me shiver> He is an utter ****
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Don't think Branson actually owns much of the airline anymore but agree, he can piss off, he sued the NHS for millions too, lovely bloke
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:14 pm Thanks mate. Even writing his name made me shiver> He is an utter ****

Look behind you ...........the beard......woooooooooooooooo.....the beeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddd .....

Are you scared yet ? :D
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Latest email from work. 80% Pay and a 4 day week. Staving off redundancies. Yesterday we got an email saying the company was cash stable. I know why now. They won't even top up the 20% but take the government's kind offer. Doing the bare minimum to save their skins. Staff won't forget this.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Heysel76 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:53 pm Hang your head in shame for that post :thdn:
It made me laugh, I was working on the second line as well.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 pm I don't suppose he is a particularly nice guy underneath that veneer, but believe me, the ever smiling Richard Branson is the biggest b*stard of them all.
Crossed him off my Christmas card list a long time ago!
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:04 pm I don't suppose he is a particularly nice guy underneath that veneer, but believe me, the ever smiling Richard Branson is the biggest b*stard of them all. I used to visit his Virgin Airlines air crew training HQ is Crawley quite a bit, met him there at least 10 times and nobody I met including many of his flight attendants, ever had a good word to say about him. Up close and personal he used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up . Underneath that beard lies one complete and utter stingy b*stard. Glad is Caribbean hiddee hole got flattened by a hurricane with him in it at the time a few years back
I don't doubt you Puff but that is not the guy I knew and worked for, he may have changed over the years but I can only tell you how I found him.
I worked for Richard from 1984-1988, met him plenty of times, went on weekend staff breaks with him when we were not a big company at all and the guy you describe is nothing like the warmhearted, generous and funny shambolic big idea guy I knew. The business was different then, we had the record label, the shops and the film company which is where I worked, and cash was always tight and that fostered an us and them mind set, how times have changed if Richard is seen as a business establishment boot boy, he would never see himself as such.

He no longer owns the airline, they licence the Virgin name from him, as do others who use the brand.
BananasGorilla

Post by BananasGorilla »

This is an interesting read.

http://whencovidisover.co.uk/
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Phew

: Off-licences added to list of 'essential' retailers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52033260
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

bonzosbeard wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:16 pm Like I said I'm no expert and the people that are are contradicting each other due to not enough testing.
so why aren't more tests being carried out? there were stories on here of people with symptoms being sent home.
south korea is lauded for having one of the best reactions to the crisis. their plan involved massive testing (among other things).

bonzosbeard wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:16 pmAs someone said here, the antibody test could be a game changer. And something to give us hope.
provided they will actually use it...
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Mega Ron wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm It made me laugh, I was working on the second line as well.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:53 pm As of midnight last night, 17,992 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country.

93% of tests conducted have returned negative.
assuming that the official cases (roughly 8000) have been confirmed by tests, the numbers don't add up, that would be about 40% positives.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Estuary wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:44 pm He no longer owns the airline, they licence the Virgin name from him, as do others who use the brand.
Virgin Group still has 20% of Virgin Atlantic. Branston sits on the board of VG.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

13 deaths in the Uk today

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

If that’s correct, that’s exceptionally low for a European country isn’t it?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

e17 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm 13 deaths in the Uk today

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

If that’s correct, that’s exceptionally low for a European country isn’t it?
England hasn't reported yet.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Friend of a friend’s father died today in Kingston Hospital. 85, ‘underlying health issues’ etc.

Closest to me so far. Bit that got me is that his wife of 56 years wasn’t allowed to come visit during the week he was in ICU. 56 years and couldn’t even say good bye....
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Well that's it for me from Monday. Out of a garage of 190 drivers, 140 of us are being sent home. Most of them will be sort of OK, as they're going to get 80% of their contracted pay for three months. Problem I have, is that after a relapse of fatigue a couple of months ago, plus a couple of incidents I had that were attributed to fatigue, I was put on special working - which means my basic contract didn't apply as I wasn't working my contracted hours - I was only on a 3 day week. I will be getting 80% of my average weekly wage throughout February. :shock:

Even 100% of my weekly wage throughout February was a struggle, this is going to be even worse.

I did come off my special working this week, in the hope I could avoid the cull, because we knew it was coming - but first out the door are the vulnerable, those under equalities act 2010 (me) on the basis of if the company let us work during this, they're failing in their duty of care to protect their vulnerable staff and staff with a disability.

Damn.

I can understand it though - we've already greatly reduced the service, yet passenger numbers are so low now, the company at my garage alone is losing 24k a DAY.

I started in service at 0606 this morning, came off my last bus at a quarter to 5. In cold hard revenue, as in contactless and cash, I took zero cash and £2.90 contactless. The rest were pre-paid weekly and monthly tickets, or (yep, they're still out) or old biddy passes. I think overall I must have carried around 25 passengers in total today.

Hopefully, there's still a bus industry after this dies down.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

warp wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 pm assuming that the official cases (roughly 8000) have been confirmed by tests, the numbers don't add up, that would be about 40% positives.
That's Ireland.

UK tests (up to yesterday) were about 90k, 8k positive.