Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Junco Partner »

Morrisons producing £10m worth of food to go to food banks over the coming months and repurposing it's closed cafe's as donation depots.

Co-op said it would donate £1.5m worth of food to FareShare, to help boost stocks in foodbanks.

Both deserve a shout out :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

jastons wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 am Was that before or after Virgin asked them to take unpaid leave?
Ah!! Guess there had to be a catch
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Does anyone else think they've had it?

I'm generally okay now but every night I wake up in the middle of the night with a throat full of mucus coughing and spluttering, and every morning I spend an hour or two intermittently coughing it all up.

Is that the virus? There's no way to know which is quite annoying.
666 hammer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:47 am China also welded doors shut to stop potential carriers from leaving there home.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lbc.co ... -own-home/
An absolute shocking human rights abuse but that's China for you. What happens if there's a fire in one of those flats?
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by Tenbury »

e17 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 am

As a whole, I’d say Blighty is a good place full of decent folk.

We don’t eat pangolins either.
True, but then we're the ones encouraging them to take cheap flights, stay in cheap foreign owned hotels while blagging up our home city taking moronic selfies! [FWIW, sod the virus I'd suffocate anyone who does any harm to a protected species, especially pangolins that are particularly precious].
r99c
Has liked: 704 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:29 am I'm generally okay now but every night I wake up in the middle of the night with a throat full of mucus coughing and spluttering, and every morning I spend an hour or two intermittently coughing it all up.

In theory no. The coronavirus cough is meant to be dry and very continuous, no phlegm etc
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 am I found this an interesting watch yesterday.
I’d take that bloke with several huge gulps of salt.

His page reveals he’s trying to sell ‘cures’ for various ailments.

He even admits his views are based purely on personal experience and the experiences of people he knows. He has no qualifications, no expert experience. In scientific terms, he’s the ‘bloke down the pub’ who reckons he can tell you a thing or two.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Dominic Cummings is now in isolation after showing symptoms, I wonder if the 'spare' test kits extend to un-elected officials.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1976 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

dodger wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:39 am I’d take that bloke with several huge gulps of salt.

His page reveals he’s trying to sell ‘cures’ for various ailments.

He even admits his views are based purely on personal experience and the experiences of people he knows. He has no qualifications, no expert experience. In scientific terms, he’s the ‘bloke down the pub’ who reckons he can tell you a thing or two.
I saw he was wearing a crystal around his neck and the alarm bells went off. :D

I only managed the first eight minutes, but it seemed that he was just quoting selected opinions from other sources. You could build a dozen other stories using the same method.

It's thought provoking stuff, though.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Denbighammer wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:46 pm The 'cases' numbers are a waste of time for comparative purposes.
looking at this, it is either a big coincidence, or comparing the number of 'cases' isn't really a waste of time, even with all the differences in testing.
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

e17 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:44 am Not a problem as long as it’s just key workers using the trains, I would have thought? Sure the station can do ID checks. Anyone else needs a word with bosses if they’re being told to go in?
But the government hasn’t shut the work place down to key workers only, many are still in offices in London and working around the area, have to say the trains are surprisingly busy in the morning as are the buses
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Samba wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:29 am I trust she didn't squeeze your plums, Guv..
She'd have needed to be Stretch Armstrong to reach.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 am Is he going with them to volunteer? Asks staff to take unpaid leave, asks them to volunteer to put themselves in the firing line, asks taxpayers to bail him out.
Of course he is, but he is able to work from home.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 am Add this - I say again as a species we don't deserve to get through this, let the rabbits inherit the Earth.
And you think that they won't clear the shelves of carrots & other root vegetables?
Samba

Post by Samba »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:47 am Dominic Cummings is now in isolation after showing symptoms, I wonder if the 'spare' test kits extend to un-elected officials.
He should be ok, it only affects humans.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:53 am I saw he was wearing a crystal around his neck and the alarm bells went off. :D

I only managed the first eight minutes, but it seemed that he was just quoting selected opinions from other sources. You could build a dozen other stories using the same method.

It's thought provoking stuff, though.
To be honest when he went down the civil liberties stuff and the deep conspiracy theories I switched off. What I found interesting was the collation of medical opinions stating that the death toll is not significantly inflated by Coronavirus and that this seems a bit of an overreaction, given the low amount of population vulnerable to this.

As you say, it is thought provoking. Even if the guy is a bit strange.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am She'd have needed to be Stretch Armstrong to reach.
Or from a much earlier time, 'Twizzle'..
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:43 pm I know plenty of self employed, and the amount of them that are kicking and screaming because they've fiddled tax and under declared is actually quite staggering, and yet they're still saying the government ain't done enough. Amazing how it's fine for them to diddle the government out but moan when they government won't bail them out.

Quite how you bail them all out, I've no idea, and basing it on their declared income is about as fair as it's going to get. if you've deliberately under declared for the sake of tax and child maintenance avoidance, then unlucky.

Meanwhile, I will live on my 80% of my average earnings for the past 13 weeks - a grand sum of bugger all. We've all got a sob story, and perhaps it will make us think about what we do with our money in the future, and also how we may declare earnings too if you're self employed.

I'm not having a pop at all self employed at all, before people crucify me - I can only base it on those that I personally know, and for a lot of them, hens are coming home to roost - but again - the one size fits all approach to who gets what out of what are not unlimited funds won't work.
Must be living in Kent DL :wink:

To be honest finding a reasonable method of helping the self-employed was always going to be a thankless task and fair play to the Government for trying. The issue is that "self employed" covers everybody from delivery drivers (paid a small amount per drop), through building site labourers (again paid not much but quite common to work cash in hand), through skilled labour like plumbers and electricians (often earning very nicely and some not adverse to cash in hand but not as prevalent these days), and white collar workers (often very well paid and unlikely to have opportunities for cash in hand). The more higher paid you are the more likely you are to operate through a limited company, which provides means to reduce tax paid. I am always surprised how many highly paid people are spending close to their income, as you say perhaps some of them need a wake up call.

As someone whom operates through a limited company, my personal income is made up of salary and dividends and I suspect that I fall between the gaps in the schemes. However to be honest I didn't expect any help and regard myself as being in the "lucky" position of having money to fall back on, there are many that are not in that position and need help far more than myself. So I won't be kicking and screaming, when I went self employed I understood that I was not eligible for most state support,
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:29 am Does anyone else think they've had it?

I'm generally okay now but every night I wake up in the middle of the night with a throat full of mucus coughing and spluttering, and every morning I spend an hour or two intermittently coughing it all up.

An absolute shocking human rights abuse, but that's China for you. What happens if there's a fire in one of those flats?
Not just human rights shocking acts of cruelty on animals too and I'm certain there is no scientific proof of rhinoerous horns and other animals, including pangolins, cats and dogs, bats octopii and scorpions will cure ailments either
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

My company (construction) just announced all of our sites will remain closed for at least another week. So indefinite closure then.

I'm currently "WFH", but frankly running out of things to do, even with be dragging them out massively.

Pay day tomorrow, but I've had no indication if I'll get paid in full, part or not at all which is irritating.
delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

Now taking hold in Africa.......