Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by e17 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:17 pm :D Was thinking the exact same thing today .
Amazing ain’t it TOMOS. How quickly the most “spiritual” people get those flip flops off and put their proper shoes on when the **** hits the fan :lol:
e17

Post by e17 »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 pm I think it’s more to do with smoking and lung functionality personally. Think that’s why Spain and Italy are so high I believe both countries have a high smoking population especially in the elderly
Elderly living with their families, smoking, older population in general

My French mother-in-law was on the blower earlier, moaning about how her parents won’t move into the gîte next to their chateau, because (in Nanny’s words): “that’s how all the Italians got it”

I’m on the Grandmothers side
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:09 pm They say a cold is two days coming, two days going. This thing is five weeks.
I have to hope that's not true.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Mega Ron wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:30 pm I have to hope that's not true.
I mean over all, not individually...... :lol:

Five weeks of it coming to its peak, five on the way down.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Thank f*** for that. 4 days is enough already
e17

Post by e17 »

There’s going to be no repercussions for them, is there?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... truth.html
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Just seen a 13 year old boy died in London and they referred it to the coroner probably to see if there was anything else going on
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

The tide is turning on the expert advice about wearing a mask for protection from the virus.

Dr. Fauchi in the US is now leaning towards a recommendation everyone wears one when outside, as are many other experts.

I genuinely believe that in countries like Korea and Japan, countries where the majority of the population are wearing masks and the spread of the virus has been significantly slower than in the West, they’ve made a big difference.

Think we will look back on some of the WHO’s advice in this crisis and say they got a lot wrong, not least their lauding of China and refusal to recommend face masks.
Forever Moore

Post by Forever Moore »

Having asthma, controlled with preventative inhaler, makes me a little anxious but have to go out.
Hope everyone here keeps safe.
Sad to read a 13yr old has died.
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

dodger wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 pm The tide is turning on the expert advice about wearing a mask for protection from the virus.

Dr. Fauchi in the US is now leaning towards a recommendation everyone wears one when outside, as are many other experts.

I genuinely believe that in countries like Korea and Japan, countries where the majority of the population are wearing masks and the spread of the virus has been significantly slower than in the West, they’ve made a big difference.

Think we will look back on some of the WHO’s advice in this crisis and say they got a lot wrong, not least their lauding of China and refusal to recommend face masks.
Back in early March I heard an epidemiologist from Hong Kong on a radio show say he was dumbfounded that in the US experts were saying that wearing a mask was not effective. He pointed out that Hong Kong, with one of the densest populations on the planet, had gained control over the spread quickly precisely because everyone wore a mask. The graph in this link demonstrates this strikingly.

https://www.maskssavelives.org/?fbclid= ... vNLc4mCxpU
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

dodger wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 pm The tide is turning on the expert advice about wearing a mask for protection from the virus.
Well I thought this bit of news was huge. No one touched, they all washed hands.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/31/two-choi ... -12484955/

I heard some doctor a while ago saying how it was transmitted by talking, but forget 2 meters distance, they were all just ****ed by singing in a room together. One person was blasting out the virus and got the whole choir.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... -think/amp

Interesting article on how deaths may be registered and how they MAY be making it seem worse than it is being portrayed. I did so may be before anyone jumps down my throat
dodger

Post by dodger »

Two very good illustrations of the point, cheers BILR and WCPete. :thup:
e17

Post by e17 »

Whufc06 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:19 pm https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... -think/amp

Interesting article on how deaths may be registered and how they MAY be making it seem worse than it is being portrayed. I did so may be before anyone jumps down my throat
From that fantastic world stat site:

Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.

This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

If flu was a new thing, those stats would be as terrifying
e17

Post by e17 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:16 pmI heard some doctor a while ago saying how it was transmitted by talking, but forget 2 meters distance, they were all just ****ed by singing in a room together. One person was blasting out the virus and got the whole choir.
Literally death wish stuff

Why the f*** would anyone take that sort of spitty risk?!?
WCpete
Has liked: 1497 likes
Total likes: 3201 likes

Post by WCpete »

San Francisco just closed dog parks and dog runs. That's a big one. It's understandable but I've got athletic dogs that need to run daily. I've been keeping in the corner of the park away from any other dog owner. It's an understandable measure the city is taking but my pooches are going to be bouncing off the ceiling. Very, very few have yards of any size here.
dodger

Post by dodger »

e17 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 am From that fantastic world stat site:

Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses.

This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.

If flu was a new thing, those stats would be as terrifying
There is a flu jab. Many of those who die had the chance to get it, but chose not to (or their government failed to offer it at an affordable price). In other words, many of those deaths were preventable. There is no way of preventing a coronavirus death. You can only treat them in a way that you hope allows their immune system to fight it off.

At the moment, there are about 5,000 deaths per day worldwide due to coronavirus, and that's increasing. The death rate is at least six times higher than the flu (0.6 % is the low estimate), and could be as high as thirty times higher (3% is the high estimate sometimes quoted by the WHO).

All this completely justifies the actions taken by many governments.

And again, I'll reiterate the projections made by experts advising the British government:
-No action taken to control spread of virus = approximately 500,000 deaths in the UK alone.

That is presumably based on 50 million of the population catching it and 1% dying. Project that on a global scale and you're looking at over 50 million deaths, which is more than double the estimated deaths in World War I.

So let's please stop connecting Covid-19 to the flu in a way that makes it seem these two viruses are in any way similar in their destructive power.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Whufc06 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:19 pm https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... -think/amp

This site will be the must read one.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... eaths-data

I suspect we will see lots of Covid deaths replacing lots of 'pneumonia/flu' ones.

In week ending 20 March the number of recorded deaths overall was slightly above the 5 year average for the corresponding week but nearly 3,500 fewer people died in w/e 20 March than died w/e 10 January in spite of 101 Covid recorded deaths, it was the lowest fatality level all year.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This,from the Chief of the UN and I don't think he is overstating it either and all down to some idiot in Wuhan deciding they would have bat in a Szechuan sauce for their dinner one night

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi ... spartandhp