Coronavirus

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Re: Coronavirus

Post by RichieRiv »

You can play around with numbers and charts as much as you like, the reality is we are going to be stuck indoors for another 4 weeks.

In some good news, at least they are arguing about the chemicals required to make the tests, rather than the all out collapse of the NHS.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 pm I think it’s more to do with smoking and lung functionality personally. Think that’s why Spain and Italy are so high I believe both countries have a high smoking population especially in the elderly
So has Greece shown up as a high percentage? Everywhere I have been in Greece, you see old fellas smoking away.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2491 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:53 am You can play around with numbers and charts as much as you like, the reality is we are going to be stuck indoors for another 4 weeks.
And the rest
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:00 am So has Greece shown up as a high percentage? Everywhere I have been in Greece, you see old fellas smoking away.
Yeah, in the final reckoning, when all of this over, although never forgotten and when they refuse to pin any blame on China, it will be smoker who was the root cause of this Armageddon, just as everything always is
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Pretty much all business of my start-up has now dried up. I’ve around £40k sitting in confirmed deals from the Middle East that may come to fruition if sanctions are reduced in the next month or so (with another £10k from Manila). However, KSA and the UAE have recently cancelled school until September, so I think that looks more unlikely. Positive thinking and all that.

I guess that I’m lucky to have reserve cash to fall back on for the next 9 months or so, but the amount of new business I can pick up on the back-end is the thing that concerns me the most, particularly as my industry is being hit hard around the world. I was projecting to buy a cottage up in the Lakes next year just a few weeks ago, amazing how things change so quickly! :lol:

Keeping myself busy with homeschooling the kids, writing content for the website and staying in light contact with clients. No support from the government or banks due to being a start-up, so on my jacks. Many key decisions ahead methinks.
e17
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by e17 »

dodger wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:18 am All this completely justifies the actions taken by many governments.
Who said it didn’t?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:28 am

In week ending 20 March the number of recorded deaths overall was slightly above the 5 year average for the corresponding week but nearly 3,500 fewer people died in w/e 20 March than died w/e 10 January in spite of 101 Covid recorded deaths, it was the lowest fatality level all year.
Overall deaths might end up about the same as other years as there will be lot less people dying of other things such as car or other accidents, murders, less spread of other viruses as everyone social distancing [and i am sure many other things people die of]
e17

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:09 am Yeah, in the final reckoning, when all of this over, although never forgotten and when they refuse to pin any blame on China, it will be smoker who was the root cause of this Armageddon, just as everything always is
It’s health and safety gone mad Puff
e17

Post by e17 »

PF. wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:26 am
Keeping myself busy with homeschooling the kids, writing content for the website and staying in light contact with clients. No support from the government or banks due to being a start-up, so on my jacks. Many key decisions ahead methinks.
Keep the faith, PF. Although I’m provably in a very different sector to yerself (I do publishing for the government, the royals and rich people), we’ve already seen a slight upswing in work now that people have got their head around how furlough and working from home operates.

The fact governments have reacted proactively to putting industry ‘on-hold’ rather than leaving bosses to fend fir themselves will in my opinion have a positive ripple effect as this goes on and companies work out how to survive
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

e17 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:08 am Who said it didn’t?
No one, but yet again bringing up how many die of flu implies that it should be treated in a similar way - by just accepting it as part of life.

This is not the flu thread, it’s the coronavirus thread, so the only reason to bring up the flu would be for a comparison. Since you provided data on the flu, I provided that comparison in statistics and projections for coronavirus.

Since clearly they are different in how serious they are, we need to treat them differently.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Reading that dear old Michael Rosen had contracted this horrible virus but was now out of ICU and despite being ' still poorly ' was continuing to improve - I found a poem of his dedicated to the NHS on its 60th Anniversary -

These Are The Hands by Michael Rosen

These are the hands
That touch us first
Feel your head
Find the pulse
And make your bed.

These are the hands
That tap your back
Test the skin
Hold your arm
Wheel the bin
Change the bulb
Fix the drip
Pour the jug
Replace your hip.

These are the hands
That fill the bath
Mop the floor
Flick the switch
Soothe the sore
Burn the swabs
Give us a jab
Throw out sharps
Design the lab.

And these are the hands
That stop the leaks
Empty the pan
Wipe the pipes
Carry the can
Clamp the veins
Make the cast
Log the dose
And touch us last.

That was ' F L I C K ' the switch of course . :)
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:02 am And the rest
I think there comes a point when you question how long people will buy into this and stay living like this. I'm not questioning it's logic or it's need, but at some point people under 40 will start to think why am I living like this for a flu type bug that I have a 0.05% chance of dying from.

In addition there will come a point where the bill for this becomes so huge no government can keep bailing a whole country out.

Could the Uk gov cover 80% of the workforce beyond May?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

I've had another thought. When all this is over, although it will never be forgotten, the world as we know it will never be the same again. I put this out there, I think the future for Chinese restaurants and take aways doesn't too bright
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:33 am I've had another thought. When all this is over, although it will never be forgotten, the world as we know it will never be the same again. I put this out there, I think the future for Chinese restaurants and take aways doesn't too bright
I'll give up my rights, my liberty and my freedom but you'll never take away my Sweet and Sour Pork
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Puff Daddy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:33 am I've had another thought. When all this is over, although it will never be forgotten, the world as we know it will never be the same again. I put this out there, I think the future for Chinese restaurants and take aways doesn't too bright
Unless your local one does pangolin I can't see it bothering people tbh
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:30 am Could the Uk gov cover 80% of the workforce beyond May?
It's easy to borrow money, much harder to pay it back..
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I still buy Corned Beef .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Think many of them will be converted into barber shops
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 922 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Whufc06 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:19 pm https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... -think/amp

Interesting article on how deaths may be registered and how they MAY be making it seem worse than it is being portrayed. I did so may be before anyone jumps down my throat
On the other hand our mortality stats currently aren’t giving the full picture because they're not including deaths outside hospital, like nursing homes. These are collated approximately a week after the deaths have been registered and published a week after that, so community deaths stats are at least 2 weeks behind the hospital death stats. Until we get full stats, it is impossible to get a clear picture.
bubbles1966 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:28 amThis site will be the must read one.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... eaths-data

I suspect we will see lots of Covid deaths replacing lots of 'pneumonia/flu' ones.

In week ending 20 March the number of recorded deaths overall was slightly above the 5 year average for the corresponding week but nearly 3,500 fewer people died in w/e 20 March than died w/e 10 January in spite of 101 Covid recorded deaths, it was the lowest fatality level all year.
Is it correct that the ONS figures include non-hospital (home & care home deaths)? It is hard for the lay-man to decipher all this.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

A British National has died on board one of the cruise ships that's being refused entry just about everywhere. Who the hell would ever want to go on one of those floating pox barges ever again??

Is there any industry more buggered than the cruise industry?? Except maybe airlines, tho I still think some governments will bail them out.