Newcastle Utd 0-0 West Ham Utd (04/07/20)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by simon hammer »

Three points here would be a huge result, given the context of our plight, especially with our relegation opponents seemingly unable to get one decent result between them. Even a point would be a good result.

I’m going out on the optimistic limb of our relegation tree and predicting Newcastle 1 - 2 West Ham.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I would be tempted to rest Lanzini and give Anderson another chance. Free roll to help the striker. Shame he is injured.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

i honestly hope anderson doesnt play another minuete this season given the effort he has put in the majority of this season.

Not really sure what lineup to go with, before the break we started to look good with haller and antonio up top but i'm guessing haller isnt ready for 90 yet. Tough game but i think we can get something - hopefully similar lineup to the chelsea game (100% same midfield)
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2676 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:23 pm Tough game, opposition in decent form....but win this and we're virtually nailed on safe.
Despite a 1-2 prediction of a West Ham win I'm not overly confident it'll come true - Newcastle have been unbeaten over their last 5 games in the Premier League the best of which was a 3-0 drubbing of Sheffield United .

I'm just hoping we carry on where we left off against Chelsea , keep the momentum going , stay focused and treat every game like a Cup Final .
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 519 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Hugh Jargon II wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:49 pm I would be tempted to rest Lanzini and give Anderson another chance. Free roll to help the striker. Shame he is injured.
I think Anderson thinks he should be on a beach somewhere and far far away from West Ham forever. Doesn’t look interested, the effort isn’t there.
I’d be tempted to start Wilshere in place or Lanzini, although I saw glimpses of the old Lanzini in the second half v Chelsea.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 pm Despite a 1-2 prediction of a West Ham win I'm not overly confident it'll come true - Newcastle have been unbeaten over their last 5 games in the Premier League the best of which was a 3-0 drubbing of Sheffield United .

I'm just hoping we carry on where we left off against Chelsea , keep the momentum going , stay focused and treat every game like a Cup Final .
This this will be a tough game that they will expect to win hope we turn up ready to battle for this cos they will :crest:
Depressed Hammer

Post by Depressed Hammer »

This Fish wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:23 pm Pleased for him to be back at the club, it's a pay if you play contract with a small weekly basic so I'm not bothered about it. Would have preferred to spend £16m on Rondon and his wage, but meh.

Not sure if he'll start, Gayle's scored last two outings in the league so I'd imagine he'll be given another chance. Maybe both? Depends on if ASM is fit to play or not. If the latter starts I can't see us playing 2 up front.
If Carroll starts a game he gets 70 grand. Not sure if he comes on as sub. His basic is as you say around 23 grand a week. Its more or less a pay as you play contract with a low basic .
Newcastles biggest weapon is their pace. They love to counter with 3 fast player initially pulling a team wide to open space through the center.
Moyes wont allow us to go gun happy so that shouldnt suit you lot. If we play for a point it just might enable us to get 3 points compressing the space for your pacier players. Last 20 mins will be interesting when game opens up. Draw for 70 mins for me then anything can happen.
We have a little daylight after todays results so with this game in hand over watford and bourn its a free hit. Better goal average than others meaning a point tomorrow and would they need 5 to go ahead of us. Even at this stage i cannot see Bournemouth getting 2 wins. Point for the hammers would be a decent result.
COYI!!
Depressed Hammer

BethnalGreenHammer74 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:24 am I can see this being an open game.
I’m going for a 2-2 draw.
This is the team I would go with, if Haller is fit, will Moyes start him?
Plenty of options from the bench.

Fabianski
Frederick's Diop Ogbonna Cresswell
Rice Soucek Fornals
Yarmolenko Antonio Bowen

Subs: Randolph Johnson Masuaku Balbuena Noble Lanzini Anderson Wilshere Haller

COYI!
Moyes will deffo not start with Haller. He wont be match fit and Antonio has been a menace up their on his own. Haller will be on bench and hopefully we wont be looking for him to come on in 2nd half. He wont start with Yarma either. I also like Yarma coming on once the game has opened up.
Depressed Hammer

Liam wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 am Squad rotation is essential for us over the next few weeks. Mainly I'd want to protect Antonio's hamstrings.

He will need to sit out (or be on the bench) for 1 of the next 3 games. not sure which.

Likewise Bowen will need a rest at some point.
Good points Liam but for me we strike while the kettle is still hot. Also this game will suit Antonio and Bowen more than Burnley.
Depressed Hammer

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:05 pm Wonder if Carroll will start. Be interesting to see if he throws himself into those slightly risky, arm-first, challenges that he used in our colours.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him score against Diop, I have to say.

Still think a point at least is a fair target against a reasonable, but limited, outfit. I hear one of the Longstaffs may have been injured.
He will be begging to start to pick up that 45 grand xtra bonus. If fit he starts!
Depressed Hammer

mushy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 pm Is he the patron saint of 147's?
You can get more than 147 if you start with a free ball. 147 plus 8. Guy breaks. Hits a color and not a red, white stops tight behind blue , free ball. You pot a baulk color as a red and then take black, leaving 15 reds still on table
traxop

Post by traxop »

Honestly I would be tempted to start Wilshere. This will be an entirely different game to the last, trying to sit back and counter just plays into Newcastle's hands.

Thinking that we can stretch them on the counter will just give the likes of Saint-Maximin yards of clear space to in turn stretch us when we lose the ball up the field. If we play it smart and opt to keep possession, we can nullify their biggest threats. We actually have the players than can play for possession. That's an advantage that we should exploit rather than turning this into a crapshoot, seeing who can kill each other off in a single counter.

I'm hoping Moyes can adapt for this game. Playing for control rather than counter should give us the best chance of getting a result from this game.
Depressed Hammer

traxop wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:26 am Honestly I would be tempted to start Wilshere. This will be an entirely different game to the last, trying to sit back and counter just plays into Newcastle's hands.

Thinking that we can stretch them on the counter will just give the likes of Saint-Maximin yards of clear space to in turn stretch us when we lose the ball up the field. If we play it smart and opt to keep possession, we can nullify their biggest threats. We actually have the players than can play for possession. That's an advantage that we should exploit rather than turning this into a crapshoot, seeing who can kill each other off in a single counter.

I'm hoping Moyes can adapt for this game. Playing for control rather than counter should give us the best chance of getting a result from this game.
I,d like to see Jack starting but when was the last time you saw us playing and keeping hold of possession?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A draw away from home is never a bad result in this division, and coming away from St James Park this afternoon with a point would be satisfactory.The win against Chelsea midweek has taken the immediate pressure off of us, which might help.

One negative today could be the travel arrangements, I believe safety protocols dictate same day travel, and with a 14.15 KO, that makes the schedule a touch tight. That might affect meal timetables and so on.
pezza20
Total likes: 1067 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I fully expect Moyes to start the same side that started against Chelski, with Haller and Noble on the bench and Ajeti and the youngster Lewis dropping out.

True that Willshere for Lanzini makes sense for this game but I can't see Moyes changing a winning side.
pezza20
Total likes: 1067 likes

Post by pezza20 »

the pink palermo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:53 am A draw away from home is never a bad result in this division, and coming away from St James Park this afternoon with a point would be satisfactory.The win against Chelsea midweek has taken the immediate pressure off of us, which might help.

One negative today could be the travel arrangements, I believe safety protocols dictate same day travel, and with a 14.15 KO, that makes the schedule a touch tight. That might affect meal timetables and so on.
They have their scoff on the coach mate.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

pezza20 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:08 am They have their scoff on the coach mate.
Are they not flying up ?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

dont change a winning team and I would stick with it if all are fit.

fabianski
fredericks diop ogbonna cresswell
rice soucek
bowen fornals lanzini
antonio

subs randolph johnson balbuena masuaka noble wilshere yarmolenko haller silva

60 mins subs wilshere for lanzini yarmolenko and haller for bowene and antonio

a draw will be a good result for us but fancy a win for some reason.

1-0 hammers fornals to finally connect properly !
Graza

Post by Graza »

Weird game this one. We had a great win against the odds (and the officials both in attendance and remote) in the week, they on the other hand butchered Bournemouth (haven't we all). They are pretty comfortable in the table while we are 3 points above the drop and a win here would open up some more daylight between us and the sticky brown stuff of a year(or more) in the championship.

For me the key will almost certainly be the form and outright pace of their wingers against our ultra narrow defence - since the restart we are so narrow at the back, the whole back 4 seem to never be wider than the penalty area, this can't be a cock up or accident as we do it constantly and Moyes would have had to have set them up like that. This is a battle I therefore expect us to lose and lose early and often. If Moyes can change his system (he can't/won't) then we could have a fighting chance. If we leave those wide areas open like we have been they'll create a wealth of chances.

We should have some confidence restored in our attacking play, but unless we get an early goal I can't see us getting anything out of this one, maybe a goal. 3-1 Newcastle and the midweek glow is gone.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

nothing like optimism !

our midfield was full of energy and covering on weds. has the penny dropped lets hope so.

soucek fornals rice provide the energy in the middle that we lack when sideways nobes plays. lanzini has looked better and I would give him a half . wilshere on for last 30 mins. we have 5 subs and need to manage the game accordingly.
their wingers are dangerous and will need dealing with. fredericks can match them for pace so should be ok. cresswell wont and will be targetted so the midfielders need to support him for once.

we could try masuaka in front of cresswell instead of lanzini ? would rather not as arthur doesnt have the discipline to play the role