Issa Diop

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Issa Diop

Post by funky chicken »

I'm amazed this hasn't been spoken about more after the Leeds game, but does anyone know why Moyes supposedly left Diop out of the match day squad? As Diop was apparently present at Elland Road. But it seemed he was surpringly left out for Craig Dawson. Did he have a small injury? Is something going on behind closed doors? I.e. Told Moyes a few home truths?

Please feel free to merge this into the Issa Diop threads Mods. :thup: The reason I started another thread was simply because I couldn't find it, as it's clearly been that long anyone posted anything in that thread it's that many pages back in the forum. So I apologise.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Re: Issa Diop

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Momentum is everything in football. Unless your hand is forced, never break up something that's working.
Having said that, how much longer must we wait for Antonio to get back to full fitness

I'm sure Diop will feature again at some point, but he may have to wait for an injury to one of the other CB's
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:35 am Momentum is everything in football. Unless your hand is forced, never break up something that's working.
Having said that, how much longer must we wait for Antonio to get back to full fitness

I'm sure Diop will feature again at some point, but he may have to wait for an injury to one of the other CB's
I think funky chicken was referring to the fact he was left out of the match day squad of 18 and replaced by Dawson.

I think I've read that Moyes believed that Dawson had been match sharper. How this is the case as neither has played wasn't qualified.

Moyes hates changing his team/squad so there must be more of a reason.

Whether it a slight niggle, a reaction to a fall off in commitment in training or an invitation to seek pastures new is unclear.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

How is Diop 4th choice CB now? I know he got some stick but there is no way he’s that bad to be behind the general and Dawson. That’s poor management to start a loan player and a player out of contract at the end end of the season ahead of a 23 year old with potential and a long term contract who needs games to improve.

Any whispers of stuff behind the scenes?
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Still having heading lessons...
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

D C wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:34 pm How is Diop 4th choice CB now? I know he got some stick but there is no way he’s that bad to be behind the general and Dawson. That’s poor management to start a loan player and a player out of contract at the end end of the season ahead of a 23 year old with potential and a long term contract who needs games to improve.

Any whispers of stuff behind the scenes?
Honestly it's one of my major concerns with Moyes. DIop has flaws, but he's young incredibly talented and about a year ago looked like a 50M player, and had a lot of big clubs sniffing. If you can't figure out what to do with a player like that you're a limited and fragile manager. And even if it's the case, you should have asked the board to sell him instead of destroying his value.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Why are people so surprised?

Diop hasn't played in the prem for most of the season, he then comes in against Palance gets done far too easily for their goal and is generally all over the place.

It's hardly surprising Dawson is being given a chance. I don't particularly dislike Diop but it's frustrating that he hasn't kicked on. If Dawson plays as badly tonight as Diop did against Palace this place will go in to absolute meltdown.

No player gets their place back in the team, by playing terribly when given a chance.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Diop is one of many that represents a current real problem at West Ham.

24m on him, Anderson 35m, Haller £40? Benrahma 25m

All not wanted by the manager

West Ham can't afford those fees on players that are not in our starting XI.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’m not sure that the problem is heading per se (I think he still wins plenty of headers), it’s more his concentration imo - he seems to get slightly distracted and misjudge the flight of the ball or not react as quickly as an opposition player.

Could that be something which he improves as he gains more experience? Could there be an argument to loan him out for a season to help him gain that experience?

Diop was a signing that Sullivan was at pains to take credit for (IIRC), can’t see us giving up on him as easily as some of the other signings.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Think he has potential to be a good defender. The Palace game was his first start and yes he did lose his man for the goal.

Some right footed CBs are better on the left. I'm sure that's where his better performances were under Pellegrini alongside Balbuena. Oggie now fills that spot.

With the team being so good defensively Moyes hasn't really had to change it.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Best thing for him would be to go on loan in January for the rest of the season. I’m not sure where he would go but it would do him the world of good. If he was to be sold now, we would not get the level of money. being suggested 18 months ago but it would maybe get him his confidence back.

£2m loan plus wages along with the money from Yarmalenko and Haller sales would give Moyes a substantial pot to play with.

I genuinely see all 3 of the above going either temporarily or sold
yakandyeti
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

There is talent there, I hope Moyes sees him as a project and is working on him and that he will come back better. Might be the best LCB alternative to Creswell, so long as Oggy stays central.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

MD_HM wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:46 pm Diop is one of many that represents a current real problem at West Ham.

24m on him, Anderson 35m, Haller £40? Benrahma 25m

All not wanted by the manager

West Ham can't afford those fees on players that are not in our starting XI.
I agree that Moyes doesn’t want them. Maybe we should have hired a manager who agreed to try to get the beat out of them and protect our investments if transfer fees is out main concern
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

stu1 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:58 pm Why are people so surprised?

Diop hasn't played in the prem for most of the season, he then comes in against Palance gets done far too easily for their goal and is generally all over the place.

It's hardly surprising Dawson is being given a chance. I don't particularly dislike Diop but it's frustrating that he hasn't kicked on. If Dawson plays as badly tonight as Diop did against Palace this place will go in to absolute meltdown.

No player gets their place back in the team, by playing terribly when given a chance.
Why are you surprised that having been side lined and then catching COVID Diop, with little game time puts in a rusty performance only to be immediately consigned to the scrapheap again?

And yes, it is very frustrating that Diop has not kicked on and I'm afraid that's one stick people should not be using to beat Sullivan with, although several are attempting to.

Why has Diop gone from a player who was happy to be here to one who appears not to? Diop has played very well for West Ham in the past, he's young and has ability. All young players suffer from concertation lapses. There have been several examples of that by Rice this season.
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

Surely the whole point of having Dawson in there tonight was so that Diop can sit on the bench or the stands and watch to see exactly how it's done...

If Diop learns to incorporate Dawson's strengths into his game over the period Dawson's contract has to run with us - then Issa goes back to being a £50m player.

If we were to sell him it would be another incredible display of short sightedness -

It wasn't that long ago he was considered a monster and our long term future.

What would we get for him now? False economy.
Last edited by Sticky on Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Sometimes you have to trust the manager who has the players in training every day.

Moyes made a call on Dawson today and it worked...he was MOTM...

Diop has very poor positional skills which he will learn...he is still young...but experienced tough players like Dawson can do a job right now.

I would like to see him stay and work on his game as there is a good player in there...now whether he has the desire to do that is the question....is he going the Declan Rice road or Reece Oxford road?

In the short term he needs to prove himself everyday on tge training field and earn the right to play...
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The people going ridiculously over the top about the lad having an iffy 6 months are probably the same ones screaming when we offered Dawson a contract.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Doyley72 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:13 pmis he going the Declan Rice road or Reece Oxford road?
:? He’s played nearly 80 senior matches for us ...
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

e17 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 pm :? He’s played nearly 80 senior matches for us ...
I'm talking about attitude...does he want to knuckle down like Rice has done or sulk and not put the effort in like Oxford?

That's what Moyes (and us fans) demand and that's why Fornals, Bowen, Coufal, Soucek, Dawson etc do, all role up their sleeves and will fight for the club....can Diop do the same?...I hope so, but maybe that's a reason why Moyes isnt picking him?
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

A good manager in any walk of life will apply the appropriate skills best suited to the individual. It's not one size fits all.