January 2021 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Re: January 2021 Transfer Window

Post by smuts »

thejackhammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:09 pm Have we signed anyone yet?

Depending on the King and Maja terms that will be very annoying.
Sully is just waiting to the optimum time of the day to make a few low ball bids to wheel out the good old we tried excuse...
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

NedN wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:05 pm Tbf, notwithstanding the public statements that about only wanting to buy the right player, it looks like Moyes got neither.

This summer it will be “we have to sell to buy,” the Haller money (and likely the Reid loan went to pay for Benrahma
At the end of the day, If we have £20m now and £30m summer budget, and we're not spending any of that money until the summer because the shortlist of targets are not available until then, it makes no difference wether Benrahma's fee is paid for out of the summer £30m or the Haller £20m. The end result is still ~£25m.

You could argue that most of Benrahma's fee was actually paid for with the Diangana money, so we should still have prety much all of the Haller+summer budget available. I reckon Moyes is banking on that being enough to get one of his top striker targets. All will turn out well.
Last edited by LeonRivers on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doylaz
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Doylaz »

LeonRivers wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:03 pm This is evidenced by our poor run of results over the last ninety minutes, right?
:lol: Lost one game in 9 since Christmas when we’ve played at least twice a week, it’s not good enough. Rotation would have prevented this horrific run of form.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Macca1973 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:13 pm Blimey, if we have to sell to buy in the summer there's only Rice and Soucek left that are worth the amount of money it'll take to sort out this sh*tty mess of a squad :shock:
Be really surprised if Rice isn’t gone this summer. Your right him & Socuek are the only 2 worth anything, maybe Bowen but not sure we’d make tons on him.

Also come the summer the excuses will be, “oh players are at the euros” it’s hard to get deals done. Anyone who genuinely believes we have an actual starting budget come the summer are living in a dream world. It will be sell to buy
Last edited by Lovejoy on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5674 likes
Total likes: 3091 likes

Post by MB »

VeniceHammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:15 pm I know I keep banging the same drum, but if Maja is actually available for loan and we are not in the mix, it's nothing short of deliberate, and borderline working against the best interest of the club. There is literally NO downside in loaning him.
Depends on the terms of the loan. If we are required to play him X minutes in Y position or face big old financial penalties then you can understand why we may not be interested

Loan contracts are some of the most complex in football and rarely consist of "pay us X and we are happy for him to rot on your bench till Mike does his hammie"
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

LeonRivers wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:57 pm Option 1 of loads: ...because we are done in this window
Option 2 of loads: ...because he wants to play his cards close to his chest. Managers that say "we need a striker desperately and have £30m to spend" regularly get quoted £30m asking prices when the ask about the availability of £10m players.
Option 3 of loads: He was cold and wanted the interview to end quickly

Option 1 of loads: Because we are not 4-year-old, knicker-wetting babies
Option 2 of loads: because we believe the club have tried their best to sign a £30m+ striker and would be happy to save funds to go for him again in the summer.
Option 3 of loads: because there is literally nothing we can do about it.
Wow, knicker wetting babies eh...

retort one of loads - why are we done when we don't have enough players within our squad when there is ample time left
retort two of loads - see above. The club released what we had to sign, if they are playing cards close to chest then it was the wrong move to state figures.
retort three of loads - probably, our facilities are basically a shed

Retort one of loads - I dont think raising concerns about not having squad depth is knicker wetting. Can you honestly say you are happy with Antonio being our only senior striker?
Retort two of loads - have they though? You mention playing cards close to chest but, every day we was linked with a striker, most of which were never achievable. The lad from Sevilla never wanted to come, so why make loads of noise about bidding £30/40m? Razzle dazzle. Moyes want King apparently, and yet Southampton are going to sign him.

Retort three of loads - Thank goodness you are not part of Hammers united...
VeniceHammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by VeniceHammer »

MB wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:17 pm Depends on the terms of the loan. If we are required to play him X minutes in Y position or face big old financial penalties then you can understand why we may not be interested

Loan contracts are some of the most complex in football and rarely consist of "pay us X and we are happy for him to rot on your bench till Mike does his hammie"
he's not first choice at Bordeaux. They are clearly loaning him out hoping he bangs some goals and the loaning team gets convinced to make an offer for him next year.
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

bonzosbeard wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:53 pm Yarmolenko looks poorer every time he comes on and if Noble is the answer then I give up.
My fears exactly. We have been lucky so far with injuries and we hardly get bookings to worry about suspensions but, if / when they do we are buggered.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

Moyes said hes waiting to get the right striker no he isn't gsb have told him you ain't got money he's just saying it to cover them arseholes
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

LeonRivers wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:16 pm You could argue that most of Benrahma's fee was actually paid for with the Diangana money, so we should still have prety much all of the Haller+summer budget available. I reckon Moyes is banking on that being enough to get one of his top striker targets. All will turn out well.
Err with the way our lot work, I think you’ll find that the Daves would claim Diangana money is long gone, used to pay the Haller installment/Soucek fee...
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The reality here is that, whilst we may all have aspirations towards our team finishing in the top 4 / 6 / half, we don't share those sentiments with the people who run the club.

So long as we are not relegated, that is fine to them.

They budget accordingly.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

If we don't sign a striker (which is now looking what will happen) then there is no sensible alternative other than to play Mipo Odubeko as cover to Antonio in my opinion.
Harewwods 50p head

Post by Harewwods 50p head »

Really really poor form if not a striker signed
It’ll come back to bite us in the proverbial
I can understand DM not getting his plan A
but we definitely need a plan B
Yarmas not any good imo as a striker the young lads are untested
Dare I say a out and out striker would put Antonio’s chance away yesterday at 0-0 and maybe the result woulda been different
Underwhelming AF
especially as we’re having a good season
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Hang on, did someone really criticise Moyes for trying to field his strongest XI every week and accuse him of not managing his (tiny) squad better when we're currently 5th? :?
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

:hush:
TommyHammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:34 pm If we don't sign a striker (which is now looking what will happen) then there is no sensible alternative other than to play Mipo Odubeko as cover to Antonio in my opinion.
You’d think we have no choice. But I tell you what, I have a horrible feeling Lingard will take Mipo’s place on the bench.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:37 pm Hang on, did someone really criticise Moyes for trying to field his strongest XI every week and accuse him of not managing his (tiny) squad better when we're currently 5th? :?
Yeah one of the boring anti-Moyes posters.
floydie_hammer
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by floydie_hammer »

I think the only signing any time soon will be Moyes on a new contract, which he will only get if he doesn't rock the boat by saying he wanted to sign players but wasn't given the money.

I'm not Moyes biggest fan but I don't blame him at all for this window or for him not speaking out. Our problems are fully down to Sullivan, just as they have been for years.
Johnny_C WHU

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm The reality here is that, whilst we may all have aspirations towards our team finishing in the top 4 / 6 / half, we don't share those sentiments with the people who run the club.

So long as we are not relegated, that is fine to them.

They budget accordingly.
This is the thing.

As West Ham fans, if we was the chairman and found ourselves in this position and if strengthening the team meant a better chance of an European spot, why would you not do it? I understand budgets etc. but after selling and the claim was we had money why not push on. They spent the early part of the window stating that they were chasing players that didn't want to come and gave up with days of the window being open. Why?
I appreciate we may not be able to get Moyes A' transfers this window but, i am sure he would want a back up striker.

This is the second time they have been in this position and the same pattern emerges. Sell and not strengthen.

This for me exposes the whole 10 point plan bull. We have a chance to push on and attracted better quality players that being in Europe brings and yet they tried....
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2015 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I love it in here. :scarfer:
Romfordboy
Has liked: 150 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by Romfordboy »

Moyes in his head doesn’t want a back up to Antonio he wants someone to replace him or at least push him for a first team place.

After last night, Crystal Palace and the fact he has mentioned several times we do not put away enough of our chances, as much as I like Antonio he isn’t clinical enough