January 2021 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

floydie_hammer
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: January 2021 Transfer Window

Post by floydie_hammer »

-DL- wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:01 pm He hit a screamer which was the only goal in a 1-0 win against The Vultures.

He was then dropped next game for an unfit Antonio.
Sorry I thought the post was about Antonio
vaz te's bonnet
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by vaz te's bonnet »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:49 pm I mean, he did - he scored almost every goal for us from between 12 and 2 yards out. Wasn't his one goal from outside the box he scored for us the first in his career not inside the penalty box?
All the misses Antonio was on the move plus the hustle of the cbs. We didnt get enough of that from Haller. Plus Haller prefer a drop back whereas antonio runs closer to goal.

Bondswell has had his loan cancelled so im guessing something is due to happen soon.

Finally of the players who have moved in Jan its probably only Mateta and Kabak I wanted.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:43 pm Benrahma was good against Palace.
He was better against Palace, for sure, but even their own fans would note that the performance, as a team, that they put in against us was average at best, shocking at worst.

That was, in my mates' views, Kou's worst ever match in their colours. Zaha looked decent for about 5 minutes, in total. Perhaps their most solid player was their young fullback.

Guaita saved a couple, close range, but was poor for all of our goals.

So, Ben had a decent game against them. He's not shown it consistently yet.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

6' 0'' and eyes of brown
Mathew Bondswell is coming to town
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 pm To be fair, have any/many of you viewed other teams supporter web sites? I have, and most (90%) are not happy with business done or more importantly not done. I'm not trying to excuse our performance here, just trying to give it some perspective.
I have too. I'm yet to find another club in West Ham's position that've sold their only natural first team striker and failed to replace him.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:03 pm To be fair, have any/many of you viewed other teams supporter web sites? I have, and most (90%) are not happy with business done or more importantly not done. I'm not trying to excuse our performance here, just trying to give it some perspective.
I haven't and I am certain you're right. But I'd be interested to see how many other PL teams are going into the last half of the season with ONE recognised striker (and he's only been a striker for a year, and is injury prone). Not discussing quality, just quantity. I'd be surprised if many teams have tried this approach!
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

I think the issue is the balance.

Haller has been sold - no striker back up.

Snodgrass has been sold - no CM back apart from Noble.

Noble’s form has fallen off a cliff - no CM back up.

Masuaku is long term injured - no LB back up.

If we had kept Haller, Noble was playing ok and Masuaku was fit I don’t think people would be so pissed off but leaving us in this state is negligent.
norse
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 835 likes

Post by norse »

Watching Hammers Chat deadline day, Kriss Akabusi is pretty frustrated about the situation as well - echoes most on here
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Idrissa Gueye would be a great signing, but i can't see him coming here (or anywhere) to sit on the bench
The concern for me is that we would then default to three 'defensive orientated'** midfielders every game to accommodate him, which would be a backward step IMHO

**Yes, i know SOucek scores goals, but he is fairly limited from a creativity point of view
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:05 pm I have too. I'm yet to find another club in West Ham's position that've sold their only natural first team striker and failed to replace him.
It's better than that – for a £20m quid loss. Image

Unorthodox, I'll give them that. Like an inverse Carroll to Liverpool.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 612 likes

Post by NedN »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:11 pm Idrissa Gueye would be a great signing, but i can't see him coming here (or anywhere) to sit on the bench
The concern for me is that we would then default to three 'defensive orientated'** midfielders every game to accommodate him, which would be a backward step IMHO

**Yes, i know SOucek scores goals, but he is fairly limited from a creativity point of view
Yes, but if we buy Gueye, we could also play him next to Rice, keep Bowen, Fornals, and Benrahma in the 11, and move Soucek to striker 🤣
vaz te's bonnet

If it was any other owners (maybe not ashley) we would believe what they say about Mipo. For example if the saints sold che adams and went we arent going to replace as we have this guy they would go oh fair play.
My_Sobriquet

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Gueye will have the next 18 games to settle in to prepare to take over from Rice when he gets sold in the summer :lol:
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:32 pm Algerians are Berbers, not Arabs!
25%. Correct. You're improving!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

prophet:marginal wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:04 pm He was better against Palace, for sure, but even their own fans would note that the performance, as a team, that they put in against us was average at best, shocking at worst.

That was, in my mates' views, Kou's worst ever match in their colours. Zaha looked decent for about 5 minutes, in total. Perhaps their most solid player was their young fullback.

Guaita saved a couple, close range, but was poor for all of our goals.

So, Ben had a decent game against them. He's not shown it consistently yet.
Or we played well so they looked bad?

Liverpool (cough cough).
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

My_Sobriquet wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:41 pm I really feel bad for Benrahma, good player, only a few games into his premier league career.

Getting pelters because he’s not a world beater yet, mainly because we are still upset about Diangana.
I suspect it's a heady AM stew that's also somewhat complicated by the presence of Eze, who Moyes said on the record was someone he wanted but "we" couldn't get the finances together in time, looking very, very good over at Selhurst Park.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Hey bobd_uk, how are things ? You're still in Essex ?
Yeah, quite a distinction our club are proving here with ONE senior striker in the squad.
Can't see other clubs following that strategy somehow. :wink:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I’ve not been paying attention - we got a striker yet?
vaz te's bonnet

What im most annoyed about today is loaning out Alese. His contract is up in the summer and im surprised we havent extended it
My_Sobriquet

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Aceface wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 pm I suspect it's a heady AM stew that's also somewhat complicated by the presence of Eze, who Moyes said on the record was someone he wanted but "we" couldn't get the finances together in time, looking very, very good over at Selhurst Park.
Agreed.

None of which is Benrhama’s fault though.

Poor lad. He’s a talent!