Home Nations Support

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2682 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Re: Home Nations Support

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

mushy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 pm Am with you Tomos on this, can't stand the bloody song myself. It also came from a time when middle class comedians found it fashionable to be football fans and in fact decided that they were THE football fans and the voices of the people.
They can f"ck right off as far as I'm concerned.
:grin: Don't get me wrong , I quite liked the song at the time and I don't mind hearing it now and again - but the media , the BBC or whoever always have to go over the top when England are doing well - I saw / heard it very briefly on C5 this morning along with Hurst's last goal in '66 - like some subliminal message - :grin:

I would never begrudge my English friends their success and happiness - I've more English mates than Welsh nowadays and Lord knows England could do with a bit of cheering up after what you've had to endure with Covid etc , so yeah it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if England won the Euros , I'd be delighted for you .

STV showed a 30 minute documentary recently ' Wales In The Euros - The History Boys ' - not watched it yet , but I'm guessing it's about their efforts in 2016 - was it shown on your version of ITV where you live - just interested ?
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

mushy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:11 pm Am with you Tomos on this, can't stand the bloody song myself. It also came from a time when middle class comedians found it fashionable to be football fans and in fact decided that they were THE football fans and the voices of the people.
They can f"ck right off as far as I'm concerned.
Roger Nouveau Football Fan! Absolute hero!
The Old Man of Storr

Had a decision to make first thing this morning -

Do I switch on BBC Breakfast and listen to what I know will be coming ..an in depth preview of the England vs Ukraine game with Dan and Sally prattling on .....or something off Amazon Prime .

I went with Amazon Prime - The Tomorrow War with Chris Pratt .

Talk about a Rock and a Hard Place .

This film is bad .

But it's got to be better than Dan and Sally .
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1874 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 am Had a decision to make first thing this morning -

Do I switch on BBC Breakfast and listen to what I know will be coming ..an in depth preview of the England vs Ukraine game with Dan and Sally prattling on .....or something off Amazon Prime .

I went with Amazon Prime - The Tomorrow War with Chris Pratt .
Talk about a Rock and a Hard Place .
This film is bad .
But it's got to be better than Dan and Sally .
Yeah, it's not really the football is it?
you're just upset at all the talk of poor old Andy's Wimbledon exit aren't you :winker:

Go on you can admit it, you're amongst friends here :grin:
The Old Man of Storr

:grin: Poor Andy and his Metal Hip - did you listen to his speech a few days ago , he's come out of his shell at last . :crylol:

I think I've reached an age when Wales or Andy Murray getting knocked out doesn't touch me any more , I even get over a West Ham defeat relatively quickly these days .

Good luck for tonight - I've been impressed with some of Ukraine's play but Southgate has a plan and it looks like you could go all the way . :newthumb:
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

The bitterness from our home nations under any verified twitter account tweeting about England is something to behold.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 928 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:38 pm The bitterness from our home nations under any verified twitter account tweeting about England is something to behold.
My jock mate who posts his support for whoever we are playing on FB seems to have vanished :crylol:
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:01 amBut it's got to be better than Dan and Sally .
Staring at a blank wall would be better than Sally Nugent
The Old Man of Storr

Sincerest Congratulations on reaching the Finals of the Euros , chaps . :newthumb: :newthumb:

Haven't seen the game yet as I've got Family over but I did record it .
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

e17 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:48 pm Staring at a blank wall would be better than Sally Nugent
You ba*tard, I have a thing for her.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:16 am Sincerest Congratulations on reaching the Finals of the Euros , chaps . :newthumb: :newthumb:

Haven't seen the game yet as I've got Family over but I did record it .
I quite liked the humour in one of your Scottish newspapers headlines today.
'They Think it's Fall over'.
Love it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

mushy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:26 am I quite liked the humour in one of your Scottish newspapers headlines today.
'They Think it's Fall over'.
Love it.
:lol: fair play.

Cheers TOMOS :newthumb:
The Old Man of Storr

Just seen the highlights -

Fantastic Payetesque free kick from Damsgaard that gives Denmark the lead -

Kjaer forced into an own goal from England pressure -

Schmeichel kept England out on a few occasions before Sterling goes down from what may or may not have been a foul - Alan Shearer called it ' A soft penalty ' - Kane misses the penalty then scores on the rebound .

Still, you take anything when the Final's at stake .

Well done , chaps , I'm genuinely happy for you . :newthumb:

Italy have one more day to recover which I find slightly unfair but England have home advantage which may cancel out that extra day's rest .

I really hope it'll be an entertaining final but these things hardly ever are .

Good Luck . :newthumb:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 am Good Luck . :newthumb:
Cheers, TOMoS :newthumb:
r99c
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

Twitter is absolutely ****ing embarrassing at the mo

Well f*** them, jealousy
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

r99c wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:27 pm Twitter is absolutely ****ing embarrassing at the mo

Well **** them, jealousy
It’s a cesspit at the best of times, but there seems to have been some kind of uniting of the troll tribes with a concerted campaign against England.

The desperation and panic is quite something to behold.
The hayfield
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by The hayfield »

I'm English but even I struggle to support England .Kane and sterlings theatrics literally turn my stomach the slightest touch and the pair of them are rolling about the floor feigning injury. It's all well and good calling out foreigners doing it .but we're just as bad yet the vast majority of the English media turn a blind eye .no wonder the Scots Welsh and Irish love to see us beaten.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

The hayfield wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 am I'm English but even I struggle to support England .Kane and sterlings theatrics literally turn my stomach the slightest touch and the pair of them are rolling about the floor feigning injury. It's all well and good calling out foreigners doing it .but we're just as bad yet the vast majority of the English media turn a blind eye .no wonder the Scots Welsh and Irish love to see us beaten.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

The hayfield wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 am I'm English but even I struggle to support England .Kane and sterlings theatrics literally turn my stomach the slightest touch and the pair of them are rolling about the floor feigning injury. It's all well and good calling out foreigners doing it .but we're just as bad yet the vast majority of the English media turn a blind eye .no wonder the Scots Welsh and Irish love to see us beaten.
You must hate watching Spain, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France, Portugal, and loads of others as well then.

These nations have been practised in the dark arts for ages. We do a bit in one tournament and everyone goes crazy.

It’s a bit like West Ham really. Everyone likes us when we’re entertaining but mostly lose, but if we show a bit of grit and start winning more everyone starts to turn against us.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

The hayfield wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 amno wonder the Scots Welsh and Irish love to see us beaten.
Lots of people like to see us beaten because they hate England and English people, not because of how our national football team, but because they’re taught to from a young age.