The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post by El brooko79 »

Ding wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm It's hard for the lad I am sure. He's been there since childhood. Divided loyalties. Family issues. Hoping against hope he'd get a chance to fight for his place at the club he supports. What he needs is an old dad putting an arm around his shoulder and saying:

"Look son, as a human being you will always be a Man U fan. Nothing can take that away. But as a professional footballer you need to play and the best chance you have of doing that is with your mates at West Ham. Don't spend what remains of your career sat down to cheer the club you support. You have the rest of your life to do that when you retire."
Lingard is a big boy and we all have to make descions in life based on the information we have.

End of the day we cannot 1) wait all summer and 2) pay a fortune.

We must have spoken to Lingards camp despite the lip service OGS spouts.

He is in a position to dictate whats happens next so we need to ask him what he wants. If it isn't anything other than I'd like to come back to whu then not problem we move on.

It's already taken longer than it needs to
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Pereira over McNeil all day long.

McNeil has started to become overrated just because he’s a Burnley player that can play a bit of football.

Totally different style of player to Lingard. He’s not fast twitch, he is more similar to a poor man’s version of Fornals, not fast enough to be a truly impactful winger, but playing out there because he is not creative or dynamic enough to play the 10.

Pereira on the other hand, is more analogous to Lingard. Dynamic, 360 degree player that can ghost past a player through the middle or out on the wing. That is exactly what we need, as Benrahma alone won’t be able to shoulder the creative load imo. Between Bowen and Fornals, we already have the hardworking wide element to us, with the added bonus that both are more talented than McNeil.

If not Lingard, let it be Pereira. He would be dynamite for us linking up with Said.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

I'd choose him over Lingard as well, personally. Periera is the one signing I want us to make the most. I swear, he has a touch of the Payet's about him.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

paulhs1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:17 pm Man U are taking the piss out of him right now.

He won't be playing football at OT
He has less than a year left on his deal and can put in a transfer request any time he likes. He is at the stage where players have the most power over clubs and yet (appears) willing to stay. That tells me all I need to know.
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 288 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Would be thrilled with Pereira but if West Brom value Johnstone at 20m after getting relegated and with a year left on his deal, I imagine they'd tell us 40m for Pereira. He's worth half that.

I say we do a cheeky 30m offer for both.
Last edited by RockyMtnHammer on Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

i'm over lingard now, sure he did well for us in the first 4-5 games or whatever it was but i didnt think he was that good for the rest of the games. If he doesnt want to come back then move onto someone else
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

MB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:38 pm He has less than a year left on his deal and can put in a transfer request any time he likes. He is at the stage where players have the most power over clubs and yet (appears) willing to stay. That tells me all I need to know.
Personally I think Benrhama could turn into Mayrez #2 for us this season and take ove the mantle from Lingard so I'm relaxed on the issue. Either way you ain't seen the end of this saga/high stakes multi million pound poker being played out right now.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

b0x wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:50 am i'd settle for our scouting system to reach league one standards
I'd settle for a scouting system
MB

Post by MB »

paulhs1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:49 pm Personally I think Benrhama could turn into Mayrez #2 for us this season and take ove the mantle from Lingard so I'm relaxed on the issue. Either way you ain't seen the end of this saga/high stakes multi million pound poker being played out right now.
I love your optimism mate. Don’t let this world grind it out of you :thup:

Me on the other hand... a Lidl Mahrez if we are lucky, but that would still be a decent player.
MB

Post by MB »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:53 pm I'd settle for a scouting system
Do you have any idea how hard it is to get player videos on VHS these days? I blame the agents...
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

One of the beauties of European football next season is that it makes it harder for Sully and his crew to justify the inactivity.

On the flipside, it makes the situation even more depressing. We get into the Europa League and we're stripping an already threadbare squad with absolutely no sign of adding to it.
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

ohsnap wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:46 pm i'm over lingard now, sure he did well for us in the first 4-5 games or whatever it was but i didnt think he was that good for the rest of the games. If he doesnt want to come back then move onto someone else
Lingard was unbelievable for a lot more than ‘4/5 games’

In fact I’d struggle to name 4/5 games where he didn’t have an impact.

One of, if not, the best January signing we’ve ever made as a club, and it’s vital IMO that we tie him up on a permanent
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I cannot see us seriously interested in McNeil at the likely fee he will attract however I do rate him highly as a player and do not understand a lot of the negativity.

Still just 21 but a hard worker, tons of experience and an excellent crosser of the ball, one of those who can get in a telling ball without having to beat the man in the way Beckham could. With Calvert-Lewin to feed off them would be a sensible option for Everton.

Pereira a more likely fit for us, not the direct threat/work rate of a Lingard type but based off last season he offers more of a threat than Benrahma in that “creative” role. The hope is however that Benrahma will push on after a full pre season with us and year of adjustment. Really big season for him in this respect.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

MB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:00 pm I love your optimism mate. Don’t let this world grind it out of you :thup:

Me on the other hand... a Lidl Mahrez if we are lucky, but that would still be a decent player.
"Make em think its definately off"...yada yada.

I'll take an Asda Mayrez :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

ohsnap wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:46 pm i'm over lingard now, sure he did well for us in the first 4-5 games or whatever it was but i didnt think he was that good for the rest of the games. If he doesnt want to come back then move onto someone else
You can't be serious?

He scored 9 goals in half a season, and added 5 assists.

That was phenomenal

DublinDave
Has liked: 2722 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Adecoker wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:22 pm Jorginho is the best in the league. Based on what?
As a DMF..? The Euro's & Champions league medals round his neck are a good indicator...
Kante 2nd best in the league & Chelsea have them both... They don't NEED Declan, doesn't mean they won't buy him though...
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 288 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

I am not going to go so far as to claim Benrahma will turn into Mahrez, BUT I do think he suffered from some pretty horrible luck in front of goal last season. Considering the rate he put it in the net in the Championship before joining, I firmly believe we need to give him another year before passing judgement.

He still found plenty of ways to involve himself and was at times an important creative force, despite not being able to score.

Would love to see him score and assist 5-6 apiece this season. And I think he can.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

I like the link to the Shrewsbury LB. Seems right up Moyes’ alley. 19 years old, 6’3 and decently quick. Moyes knows that as great as Cresswell is at crossing, he gets caught out quite a bit with balls over the top due to his height, and struggles against pace. That’s why the LCB position suits him better. Won’t come up against pace as much, his height can be helped with cover by other CBs, and he can still come forward from deep and deliver his dangerous crosses in to the box. I think it’s where his future lies with us as he continues to age.

So the Shrewsbury lad makes sense as a long-term LB/LWB for us. Hope that small bit of gossip has legs
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.foot ... ive/%3famp

Kai Kennedy from Rangers…

“It is extremely flattering that West Ham have made an offer for me and it would be a great opportunity to be able to work with a top manager such as David Moyes, but I am a Rangers player until I am told otherwise,” Kennedy told Football Insider.“
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

RockyMtnHammer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:15 pm I am not going to go so far as to claim Benrahma will turn into Mahrez, BUT I do think he suffered from some pretty horrible luck in front of goal last season. Considering the rate he put it in the net in the Championship before joining, I firmly believe we need to give him another year before passing judgement.

He still found plenty of ways to involve himself and was at times an important creative force, despite not being able to score.

Would love to see him score and assist 5-6 apiece this season. And I think he can.
I certainly think he is a free spirit and to get the most out of him needs to be unshackled.
That might be playing as a 10 where he isn't need to track a full back or winger.