Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

swisstony
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Re: Noble, legend

Post by swisstony »

Metal Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm He also has 'not run like a circus' tattooed on his arse :winker:
Around the big ring?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

sutts07 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:24 am Stands are for the likes of Moore, Bonds, Brooking and Lyall & Greenwood... not many others qualify.
The kids in our family who range from 13 to 9 hold Nobes in the same sort of esteem that I did at their age for Bonzo & Sir Trev… reckon he will be up for naming honours eventually.

Lyall, in my humble, should be head and shoulders above anyone else for patronage at ours.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

e17 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:29 pm The kids in our family who range from 13 to 9 hold Nobes in the same sort of esteem that I did at their age for Bonzo & Sir Trev…
I'm 34 and he is held in the highest regard for any player in my generation.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

Post by sutts07 »

Noble is right up there in my opinion too, but FA Cup wins separate the likes of Bonds and Brooking from Noble for me.

Obviously if he goes and lifts the FA Cup and Europa League trophy in his final season, playing a key role in the campaigns, that might all change. But for me he is comfortably in that second tier of greatness (not to be sniffed at) with the likes of Cottee and Dicks.

If the 4th stand is to be names anything, it should be the Lyall & Greenwood Stand. I doubt that Noble would get in many fans all time XI so we do need to keep it in context.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

:D

Denzil

Post by Denzil »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:34 am Noble is right up there in my opinion too, but FA Cup wins separate the likes of Bonds and Brooking from Noble for me.

Obviously if he goes and lifts the FA Cup and Europa League trophy in his final season, playing a key role in the campaigns, that might all change. But for me he is comfortably in that second tier of greatness (not to be sniffed at) with the likes of Cottee and Dicks.

If the 4th stand is to be names anything, it should be the Lyall & Greenwood Stand. I doubt that Noble would get in many fans all time XI so we do need to keep it in context.
Whilst I get what you're saying and in no way could disagree with either two being deserving, I do think our modern day history should be recognised and Noble is pivotal to that. With our 'glory years' being over 40 years ago, a huge majority of our fan base would never have even watched these players. For context I am rapidly approaching middle age and was born seven years after our last trophy win. Just because there was no success in the trophy room I feel our (or my) generation should still be recognised for the era of the last thirty years. No one has been more West Ham than Mark Noble during that time. Trophy or no trophy. He has literally lived out my childhood dream. Entire career at West Ham.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

For me you can have a debate (as long as it's respectful) about his ability then and now but you cannot question his commitment and love of our club. He is also a top top bloke, one I can't see how any of our fans could be anything be absolutely proud of.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Completely agree Denz, and you'd be hard pushed to find anyone more proud of Noble or willing to jump to his defence than me on here.

I just don't think his achievements merit him being up there with Brooking and Bonds in the legends stakes. For me Moore is a very clear stand out, then it is Bonds and Brooking.

Cottee, Dicks, Noble and countless others follow shortly after, but they fall some way short of those top three.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

sutts07 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:50 am Completely agree Denz, and you'd be hard pushed to find anyone more proud of Noble or willing to jump to his defence than me on here.

I just don't think his achievements merit him being up there with Brooking and Bonds in the legends stakes. For me Moore is a very clear stand out, then it is Bonds and Brooking.

Cottee, Dicks, Noble and countless others follow shortly after, but they fall some way short of those top three.
I find myself agreeing Sutts, and note that everything in the last fifteen years feels different because of ……….social media and constant and instant news and fake news. Can you imagine Bobby on Twitter? Or Jimmy Greaves (not suggesting he’s a legend, but he was cutting as a pundit)?

I suppose I am trying to suggest, heroes within context cannot be compared without comparing contexts as well. For example, a player who stayed at West Ham earning £1 10s 6d (Budgie Byrnes) compared to say Noble earning £2.5m. Just illustrations.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:24 am I find myself agreeing Sutts, and note that everything in the last fifteen years feels different because of ……….social media and constant and instant news and fake news. Can you imagine Bobby on Twitter? Or Jimmy Greaves (not suggesting he’s a legend, but he was cutting as a pundit)?

I suppose I am trying to suggest, heroes within context cannot be compared without comparing contexts as well. For example, a player who stayed at West Ham earning £1 10s 6d (Budgie Byrnes) compared to say Noble earning £2.5m. Just illustrations.
I could quite easily imagine Bobby Moore on twitter. He was partial to the odd bit of exposure, and made adverts. He would have been up there with Beckham imo, in the celebrity stakes if he was a contemporary player, and most certainly would have had endorsements that would have made him incredibly wealthy - and some of those endorsements would no doubt have been pushed on Social Media too, as they're usually contractually obliged to do.

Look back with fondness of what he was by all means, but to intimate that he wouldn't have been on Twitter or social media in this day and age is pretty nuts in all honesty.

If he was still alive today, I've no doubt his agency would have set him up a social media account too, just like Peters and Hurst had done.
Denzil

Post by Denzil »

sutts07 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:50 am Completely agree Denz, and you'd be hard pushed to find anyone more proud of Noble or willing to jump to his defence than me on here.

Yep I hear you. I loved Julian (had to be careful how I worded that) and Cottee was the first player I ever saw score for us at UP, so they both hold a fond place in my heart but I have Noble in his own category I think, above those but below the absolute legendary players that you mentioned. I think he's meant more to West Ham than Cottee & Dicks did in their time here.

Dicks I guess for me has more of a cult status, akin to Di Canio. I suppose with arguments around Noble one could ask why Steve Potts is not getting a mention, which would be a fair argument given his service to the club. I suppose it's because Noble is 'Mr West Ham' as much as I cringe a little at that nickname, as I actually reckon he does too, it does ring true.

Whatever Noble's status, one thing is for sure for me; Next May really is the end of an era.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 am
Look back with fondness of what he was by all means, but to intimate that he wouldn't have been on Twitter or social media in this day and age is pretty nuts in all honesty.
That was point. What I think I know about Bobby is limited to newspaper coverage and autobiographies given the era. Little ‘ noise’ was ever leaked in the sixties. If Bobby and Jimmy had access to SM they would have leaked loads about the way they were treated by West Ham and England, and fan’s views and memories might not be so one sided as they are based on official material.

My point is context is everything when comparing players from different eras. Money and opportunity. We hardly ever read, let alone watched, away games outside London in the sixties. But you are right I remember fondly, and I am probably nuts!
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I wish we'd been a better team when he played.

His talents would have been displayed to the full.

I'd still prefer him making a pass around the box than any other.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1638 likes

Post by last.caress »

S-H wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:15 am :D

Why has that guy commissioned a drawing of Radiohead's Thom Yorke in a West Ham shirt for his pub?
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

last.caress wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:51 am Why has that guy commissioned a drawing of Radiohead's Thom Yorke in a West Ham shirt for his pub?
:rofl:

Some of the replies, are superb.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

last.caress wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:51 am Why has that guy commissioned a drawing of Radiohead's Thom Yorke in a West Ham shirt for his pub?
Why does he have a mural of what Noble will look like at 70 on his wall?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

S-H wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:53 am :rofl:

Some of the replies, are superb.
Just had to read the replies and yes they are superb

Noble the meth years was a good one
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Possible being groomed to be a sporting director?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -club.html

"'I think Mark has other ideas, maybe a role as a sporting or technical director rather than on the footballing side. We're already starting to use him in other roles behind the scenes"
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by DenziMart »

His playing days may be drawing to a close, but off the pitch his impact is still clearly massive if this clip means anything. Absolute respect shown to Noble from one of our recently departed academy graduates.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Absolute quality that ^^^^^

What a decent human being.

I'm sure he will be giving his experience and knowledge around West Ham for years to come. Invaluable to us and the young lads.