Celtic 2-6 West Ham Utd (24/07/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Re: ⚽ Celtic vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sendô »

Just lost the stream, but all the pundits on that Premier Sports only seemed to want to talk about Celtic. :lol:
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Benrahma looking really sharp.
sendô

Post by sendô »

Some highlights here:

Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Antonio frightens me every time he sprints.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Moyes will have loved that.

Bet he spent the first 20 mins in the dressing room after the game tearing them all to pieces for how bad the defending was.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

funky chicken wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:00 pm Wow. I have no idea if Celtic were simply as bad as what Reading were, or I am being harsh and we are just simply a really good team now! :shock:

Attacking wise we were simply sensational. Couldn't criticise a single player. From Antonio, to Bowen, to Benrahma. Superb. Fornals for me was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. And minus Lanzini gifting Celtic their first goal he had another very good showing too. Noble even rolled back the years with some of his passing. And another good showing from Coventry and Johnson especially when he came on. They are putting good pressure on Moyes.

Our defence, on the other hand! The less said the better. It was as bad as anything as I saw under Slav and Pellegrini. If that defensive performance doesn't encourage Moyes to go out there and spend big on a top central defender after Oggy's injury scare I don't know what will.
We are that good, in attack.

Your post is spot on. A few quality signings, especially in defence and we have a chance at being very good and competing in the Europa.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I don't like to read much into pre season...but bloody hell we're looking fit

The fact that players are on the same wavelength (even some of the kids) is because we don't do revolutionary changes to our squad and the small nature of it means they are well drilled

I can see us coming out of the blocks well this season, we look like a team
sendô

Post by sendô »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:15 pm Moyes will have loved that.

Bet he spent the first 20 mins in the dressing room after the game tearing them all to pieces for how bad the defending was.
If we really want to have realistic expectations of finishing near the top of the PL again and going far in the EL then we need to be replacing Dawson. We need a player of Ogbonna's quality to play with Ogbonna.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

sendô wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:17 pm If we really want to have realistic expectations of finishing near the top of the PL again and going far in the EL then we need to be replacing Dawson. We need a player of Ogbonna's quality to play with Ogbonna.
Yep. You can really see the comparative lack of quality Dawson has to the rest of our players. He's a fine fourth choice and exactly the type of defender you love to have in your squad for specific games with his willingness to contest set pieces physically, but there are too many elements to his game that are poor quality, such as getting balls slid in behind him regularly and a propensity to back off far too much and allow easy shots on goal.

We need a genuine quality player, whether that is Milenkovic, Caleta-Car, Tarkowski or Phillips, I hope Moyes is on the case.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

sendô wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:17 pm If we really want to have realistic expectations of finishing near the top of the PL again and going far in the EL then we need to be replacing Dawson. We need a player of Ogbonna's quality to play with Ogbonna.
Been saying this all summer, it feels. We need to have Dawson only as a reserve. Trouble is Ogbonna seems to have at least one injury a season that lead to him missing a few games, so we'll end up with him playing some anyway.

Dawson is a weak link (and Randolph, but that much has been clear since 2016).
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The main thing I take away is, as much as we need a striker, a new goalkeeper and central defender are even more important!
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

good workout vs a woeful Celtic XI, probably their worst in 30/40 years
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

We looked fantastic on the break.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:23 pm We need a genuine quality player, whether that is Milenkovic, Caleta-Car, Tarkowski or Phillips, I hope Moyes is on the case.
Ya. Moyes would have learned a lot from this. Coventry looked ready to be part of the first team squad. Lanzini's new found deeper role does not spare us from needing to reinforce DM although the emergence of Coventry might ameliorate that. Benrahma looked good in the middle. But mostly, we need to reinforce defence - GK, LB and CH - although I liked the look of Alves and reckon he will displace one of Diop and Dawson before the season is out.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:23 pm Yep. You can really see the comparative lack of quality Dawson has to the rest of our players. He's a fine fourth choice and exactly the type of defender you love to have in your squad for specific games with his willingness to contest set pieces physically, but there are too many elements to his game that are poor quality, such as getting balls slid in behind him regularly and a propensity to back off far too much and allow easy shots on goal.

We need a genuine quality player, whether that is Milenkovic, Caleta-Car, Tarkowski or Phillips, I hope Moyes is on the case.
Perhaps I'm missing something but when you mentioned "a genuine quality" player you then wnt on to mention Tarkowski and Phillips.

God help us if you have an input into recruitment policy. : :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Weirdy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:00 pm Is this the last well hear of Edouard after today 🤔
One can only hope. :lol:
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

We did look poor in defense but let's face it we didn't have Rice, Soucek or Coufal. Fredericks is a liability and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go once we've got a defender or two in. Coventry looked good again, reads the game so well and made some superb interceptions. Benrahma looks to be finally getting the confidence and muscle that will make him a handful for defenses. MOM for me was Lazini, barring the goal gaff he ran the midfield and kept the pace going forward instead of the sideways, pedestrian play we can often lull into.
Last edited by Hamburger on Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

wigwig wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:36 pm We looked fantastic on the break.
Didn't we always last season. All we ever want really... :hamm:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Korea Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:59 pm Forgot all about this, unfortunately.

Will there be highlights anywhere, do you think?
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Kermit wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:49 pm Perhaps I'm missing something but when you mentioned "a genuine quality" player you then wnt on to mention Tarkowski and Phillips.

God help us if you have an input into recruitment policy. : :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, you are missing something. I meant whoever Moyes deems to be genuine quality. I’m not even sure Caleta-Car or Milenkovic are either. I’m talking from Moyes’ perspective.