Celtic 2-6 West Ham Utd (24/07/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Re: ⚽ Celtic vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Just read the Celtic forum. They played a full-strength team :shock:

Pre-season or not, that is a bloody impressive result.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

likemydreams wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 pm I thought that about Fabianski
I've thought that about Fabianski for a while... doesn't look quite as agile as he once was.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

WCpete wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:19 pm I had a brief hike through some Celtic forums to see what they're saying, and one thing that popped up several times was that Ajeti is regarded a lot more highly than Edouard. That's a little worrying given how frequenty we're linked with him.
Ajeti has hardly kicked a ball for them. I suspect it's a classic case of the less he plays the better he gets.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

WCpete wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:17 pm I didn't see the game. I read they started with a full strength squad. Were they experimenting with a new system or something? It's just a pre season friendly and it's a different Celtic and all that, but letting in 6 sounds like they were mucking around with something maybe the players weren't familiar with. If not, then :shock: .
Nah, we just ripped them apart, especially on the counter. Their first goal was a gift from a Lanzini mistake and their second from rubbish keeping by Randolph.

This was a good example of why people say Celtic and Rangers would struggle to stay in the Premier League. To be fair though, this is a particularly ***** Celtic side.

But also we are very good in attack.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:30 pm I've thought that about Fabianski for a while... doesn't look quite as agile as he once was.
Very few, if any, 36 yr old goalies are. Dino Zoff and Gianluigi Button are the only ones I can of, who were
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm Nah, we just ripped them apart, especially on the counter. Their first goal was a gift from a Lanzini mistake and their second from rubbish keeping by Randolph.

This was a good example of why people say Celtic and Rangers would struggle to stay in the Premier League. To be fair though, this is a particularly ***** Celtic side.

But also we are very good in attack.
Friendly or not, no way letting 6 in doesn't sting.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

jastons wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm Ajeti has hardly kicked a ball for them. I suspect it's a classic case of the less he plays the better he gets.
Tbf, Ajeti always looked like a finisher.

I'd still expect him to be a success in Scottish football starting for an Old Firm side.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2013 likes

Post by Shabu »

I was all ready for the Celtic manager, Angelos Postecoglou, to start speaking with a heavy Stavros accent then he pops up sounding like an extra from Home & Away :lol:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:30 pm Just read the Celtic forum. They played a full-strength team :shock:

Pre-season or not, that is a bloody impressive result.
... and IMO, makes us so much better prepared for the season ahead than Alpine training camps and matches against Austrian farmers and local, yokel yodelling elevens. I never did understand that. No wonder it took us about a month after the new season began before we got into our stride
Daniel1895
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Daniel1895 »

Great win against a pub league team.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

For a new manager Ange already sounds like he's been through the wringer.

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Just watched the goals - we were decent, but their defence, and particularly the goalkeeper, were unbelievably awful - every bit the stereotype of Scottish football being a joke (even allowing for it being a pre-season friendly)
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Again, they were "Norwich".

They had a bit about them with the ball and passed and attacked quite nicely at times, but dear lord, their defence..........slow, powder puff - they'd ship 80-100 goals in the PL.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

WCpete wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:19 pm I had a brief hike through some Celtic forums to see what they're saying, and one thing that popped up several times was that Ajeti is regarded a lot more highly than Edouard. That's a little worrying given how frequenty we're linked with him.
I thought Édouard was pretty good for half an hour and was wondering if Moyes was interested at all. Then Chris Sutton said he's got a terrible record for headed goals. So forget that one.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

:phew:
Kludgehammer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 pm Just watched the goals - we were decent, but their defence, and particularly the goalkeeper, were unbelievably awful - every bit the stereotype of Scottish football being a joke (even allowing for it being a pre-season friendly)
Celtic have a CL Qualifying second leg against Mogzgxlgxlgxlg on Wednesday... (can't spell it obviously)
After that performance I'm surprised they drew the first leg 1-1...
This Europa league is gonna be a doddle... :winker:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

mattyD wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:23 pm I thought Édouard was pretty good for half an hour and was wondering if Moyes was interested at all. Then Chris Sutton said he's got a terrible record for headed goals. So forget that one.
He'd probably be a half decent punt at about £10m-£15m max.

Judging by the state of Celtic today. I'd imagine we could lend/sell them 3 or 4 who'd massively improve them without weakening us.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm Very few, if any, 36 yr old goalies are. Dino Zoff and Gianluigi Button are the only ones I can of, who were
Shilts?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Celtic were pony
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Not a single player I’d want from that shower of Preston and Stoke level merchants.

Thought Edouard looked pony for the most part. £10-15m on him would feel like £10-15m wasted for me. I don’t want these ****ers to get away with not spending money, but I equally don’t want half measures. Either sign a proper high-end striker or don’t sign one at all.

I’ve got a feeling we’ll end up with Ings late on in the window for a relatively cutdown price, preying on Southampton’s reluctance to lose him for nothing. That feels like something out of the GSB playbook.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm Very few, if any, 36 yr old goalies are. Dino Zoff and Gianluigi Button are the only ones I can of, who were
Yashin?